What is your favourite Yanagi?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
m
I only have one, a 300mm FRKZ Hon Kasumi Gin 3 right handed k-tip Yanagiba from JCK. It was forged by Shiraki and sharpened by Kasahara. Fit and finish are exceptional, it does the job magnificently. I can't see myself ever using it for anything but sushi and sashimi, but it's epic for those things.

This one.
My another FRKZ Yanagiba lefty should be done in 3 months😍😍😍

m

My another FRKZ Yanagiba lefty should be done in 3 months😍😍😍

Nice one! I have two FRKZ knives and am really happy with both: this Yanagiba and a K-tip Gyuto (which is my absolute go-to at the moment for almost everything).

I can only assume you'll love the one you get.

Nice one! I have two FRKZ knives and am really happy with both: this Yanagiba and a K-tip Gyuto (which is my absolute go-to at the moment for almost everything).

I can only assume you'll love the one you get.

I used to have FRKZ blue two yanagiba lefty300mm, F&F is the best I've ever seen. 😍😍😍

ok I gotta say it - I know there isn't much love for Masamoto here, but my 270 Masamoto blue steel honyaki yanagi is my favorite - it keeps a crazy edge for a really long time - in fact, out of my 7 yanagi and slicers, this one is my favorite.
I also use it a lot - I guess it is not usual to see such a beaten up honyaki here on the forum :)
1612702946767.png

1612702985259.png

Last edited:
ok I gotta say it - I know there isn't much love for Masamoto here, but my 270 Masamoto blue steel honyaki yanagi is my favorite - it keeps a crazy edge for a really long time - in fact, out of my 7 yanagi and slicers, this one is my favorite.
I also use it a lot - I guess it is not very usual to see such a beaten up honyaki here on the forum :)
View attachment 113251
View attachment 113252

Good for you! Knives are mostly meant to be used, in my book.

I also use it a lot - I guess it is not usual to see such a beaten up honyaki here on the forum :)
View attachment 113251
View attachment 113252
I guess you must be using this knife for many years😳😳😳 is it big difference compare to your others Yanagiba?

I guess you must be using this knife for many years😳😳😳 is it big difference compare to your others Yanagiba?
Apart from this one, I also have a couple of masamoto hon kasumi white 2 and blue 2, along with a couple of kasumi from small makers.
I am not sure whether it's all in my head but I did hear about some similar feedbacks - when handling and cutting, the blue honyaki feels denser.
One thing is for sure though - it does keeps an edge better than the others.

Was it designed with a sakimaru/tsurugi point?

How much harder do you find it to sharpen vis-a-vis your awase single-bevel knives?

Was it designed with a sakimaru/tsurugi point?

How much harder do you find it to sharpen vis-a-vis your awase single-bevel knives?
I ask Jon & several vendors before, most of the Sakimaru Takohiki tip just only for esthetic, looks like samurai, but for general using, most people think the classic yanagiba works better.

My favorite is this one. It is a yoshikazu ikeda blue #1. It cuts really well, holds an edge for a long time, feels great to cut with, and the f&f is excellent. I own a few of these and they have been my main sashimi knives for a long time.

I've been looking for yanagis that can rival this or even surpass it just for fun. And while I haven't tried them yet, the names that frequently come up are the masamoto KA blue #2, Suisin hayate blue #2 by itsuo doi, and the gesshin hide blue #1.

Out of all the other yanagis that I have tried, the sukenari super x yanagi has been my second best.

Attachments

• PXL_20211210_201116753.jpg
    PXL_20211210_201116753.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 18
Back