What it takes to be a knife maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What it takes to be a Knife Maker? Many words come to my feeble mind .

incentive, initiate the process , willingness to try, study,research,reading, However, the main thing is to Just Make a Knife! good bad or other it is a start that will grow to a passion you will love or you will determine it is really not for you .

JM2CW (Just My 2 Cents Worth)

Sam

Great post and replies. For me Striving for perfection is up there. Even some failures can have a perfect fix and the knowledge gained from each failure and different methods of controlling the amount of failure is not for the the weekend warrior. That is where the determination keeps you wanting to go on or the want is so great that your determination is fueled by it.

A serious desire to be a knife maker or make knives . With it comes the determination to over come obstacles adn failure and ability to clock in 10,000 hours ( before that Apprentice level or Journeyman level) to master it to the level that the process becomes automatic ,,, you just know what to do to do to achieve an outcome and it becomes internalized so that it is at a subconscious level and you are free to progress at the Mastery level to try new things based on new ideas, thoughts and come up with something new.,,, and there's no end to it..

Alternatively.. just a person who will keep on doing what is required to complete the the task. Will just become very competent at the process .

just my thoughts anyway...

Rgds
d

I would like to renew this interesting discussion.

What it takes to be a knife maker

Knife making – this is not only a craft, but also very much a creative process. It is an art.
A main motive for creativity is an all-consuming passion of the creator. He cannot really stop creating – the true artist cannot stop drawing, the true writer cannot stop writing, and the real knifemaker cannot stop making knives.

As a Great Russian writer Anton Chekhov said – "Those who experienced pleasure from creative work could not experience pleasures from anything else!"

The technical equipment, professional level, skills, and commercial success are secondary.

Please allow me to quote another Great Russian writer – Lev Tolstoy. It is suited to the subject like no other – "A lot is needed for art, but most important is fire!"
To speak for myself – in relation to knife making, this quote is true both literally and in a figurative sense. :)

To see a knife inside of a piece of steel and remove the unneeded?

Also a mild case of OCD (in the informal meaning, the formal is nasty to have)

by using my first name to mark my blades, it was a turn off to knife collectors.

I seem to remember a guy out your way who marked his knives "Buster". Turned out to be reasonably popular with collectors. :razz:

Thanks Gunner, it was great seeing you guys at the show. Looks like you have Marko caught in the photo standing in the back ground.

Hoss

Passion in what your doing, primarily, day after day.
That and a substantial breakfast;)

To learn from your mistakes and to not get discouraged from failure. In other words, perseverance. Also, never stop learning - what you know today, might be outdated information tomorrow.

I consider failure to be "research". It is a tool that is an integral part of an on going learning curve.

Making a knife makes one a knifemaker.

I hated hearing about the guy that built a workshop and never made a single knife. Sitting here I was writing in my notebook the ultimate knifemaker's workshop. Talk about dreaming big. I just need to win the Lotto.

Now if I can get my hands on some of that lovely Devin Damascus.

Saw this brought back from the dead, and had some things I thought I would add.

First, to be a knifemaker, as Thom said...simply requires you to make a knife.

To be a good knifemaker...requires you to make a knife that serves the purposes and expectations of the end user. Whether it be sharpness, edge holding, ease of cutting...aesthetics, or more likely some combination of all of these.

To be a successful knifemaker however...takes much, much more.

Patience I think is first and foremost. Patience for your own progression, and more...patience for some of your customers. In all the years I've been making knives, I have been blessed to only have two customers who have tried that patience. Dear friends, both...which I'm sure played its part. I miss them.

Determination would be a close second. Determination to be the best you can at what you have chosen to do. Determination not to cut corners in your process (this is tough to balance for the professional, because you must also always be looking to both improve those processes, and to cut the overall time it takes to perform them. It's a high wire act for sure), or skimp on materials...or anything else that negatively effects the end result. You must be true to your vision and hold tight to it. This is honestly more difficult than one might expect.

And finally...I would like to add in, integrity. This is actually counter to the belief and methods of any number of successful knifemakers out there (this is not a jab or accusation...just an observation on my experiences...and certainly not just in the kitchen knife world either), but for me it's the bottom line and in a way, the core of why I do what I do. Making the best knife I can, from my own designs and concepts...my own ideas and my own effort in testing and refining...is an exercise that continuously restores my own faith in the knowledge and skills I have gained and developed. In a way...it defines me in ways that other things simply cannot. There are very few things in the world that can give you this kind of feeling. There may be better makers out there...better or more beautiful knives. But I know that each knife I have made came from MY soul. It wasn't taken or borrowed or piggy backed off of the effort and creativity of another.

I'm sure there are any number of other things that could be said here...but in the end, without those three things, I would be a complete failure in this endeavor. Tools help, other mental aspects help as well. But those three points are what I believe contribute to any success I may have had in this. Without any one of them, there would be none.

Well said Chris. I'll never be a knifemaker but perhaps one day I'll be your customer. I have patience. Now I just need 6 numbers...;)

Really well said Chris. You're a true Romantic. I'll second what Dave said. I've cut with and handled several of your knives and each one had its own character, aesthetic and performance. Long live Scorpion Forge.

Really well said Chris. You're a true Romantic. I'll second what Dave said. I've cut with and handled several of your knives and each one had its own character, aesthetic and performance. Long live Scorpion Forge.

Daytime drinking. Well said Cris

Thank you gentlemen!

Sorry for the delayed response...for some reason I didn't get reply notification in my email!

Back