What just happened? Conversion to Xenforo. Questions here!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few issues/questions:

1) previously uploaded photos are not showing up and will not appear even when clicking on the “attachment” line. See my relatively recent post about a Mario W2 Gyuto in the “Show us your new knife” thread and the replies to it.
2) what happened to everyone’s knives and sharpening gear information?
3) what happened to everyone’s location information?

Thanks for your efforts in migrating the forum to a new platform. I know it’s a lot of work and appreciate it.

When performing a "site:kitchenknifeforums.com search word" google search, clicking on the results takes me to the home page instead of the actual threads.

When we changed the software that runs the forums, it also changed the site indexing. Google's (and other search engines) bots will index the site again.

Google translate does not recognize for conversion to english

We changed the site by converting to new software. This converted all the old information (threads) as well. All the information was given a new home and Google has never visited our new home and taken note of the changes.

A few issues/questions:

1) previously uploaded photos are not showing up and will not appear even when clicking on the “attachment” line. See my relatively recent post about a Mario W2 Gyuto in the “Show us your new knife” thread and the replies to it.

Thanks for your efforts in migrating the forum to a new platform. I know it’s a lot of work and appreciate it.

Regarding number one on your list, how did you upload the pictures? Did you upload directly from your computer or link to a hosting site?

2 requests to start
1. Can we get a way to choose the sort order for Posts, I don't like having to go to the bottom of the last page
& scroll backwards . IE: put new stuff at the top of the first page

2. Members pull down menu, can we get an option to select a plain Alpha list of everybody

2 requests to start
1. Can we get a way to choose the sort order for Posts, I don't like having to go to the bottom of the last page

2. Members pull down menu, can we get an option to select a plain Alpha list of everybody

For now we are focused on fixing the issues. We can address requests after.

Is the only way to see new posts on the web to scroll down to the bottom? And then it only shows me a handful of posts with no apparent way to see more.

Is the only way to see new posts on the web to scroll down to the bottom? And then it only shows me a handful of posts with no apparent way to see more.

There is a new posts section listed at the top left, just above the Kitchen Knife Forums logo (when using a web browser)

"New Posts" does not seem to equal the "What's New" we've become used to. Prob is same as "New Posts" from old version that no one used. Do we need a learning curve or do you have a magic wand?

Finally, and this is a minor thing, but for those of us who haven't posted an avatar image yet, the default image is a huge question mark. That looks a bit strange, like there's some problem with this user. Maybe use a different generic image? Just a suggestion (and yeah, meanwhile I'll find something for an avatar).

The "?" is used because you didn't list your sex. If no avatar is selected the software will try and list a gender symbol ( ♂️ or ♀️ ), if this information is missing you get a big fat "?"

"New Posts" does not seem to equal the "What's New" we've become used to. Prob is same as "New Posts" from old version that no one used. Do we need a learning curve or do you have a magic wand?

I had my "what's new" setup to only list new post, what other information did you want displayed?

When we changed the software that runs the forums, it also changed the site indexing. Google's (and other search engines) bots will index the site again.

I am not a technical kind of guy, does that mean that we will be able to search through older threads with google again in the future or does that mean said option is "dead". Even if you try to view old threads via cache it does not work, you get a google error.

Test Pic
37fe268dfd76746a25dcd4f1bfdt--for-home-interior-cutting-board-from-end-grain-oak-and-walnut.jpg

I am not a technical kind of guy, does that mean that we will be able to search through older threads with google again in the future or does that mean said option is "dead". Even if you try to view old threads via cache it does not work, you get a google error.

I currently dont have access to the tools needed to request google to do a re-crawl, but I can answer in generic terms... Yes this functions should work again in the near future.

This is confirmed. Working on an immediate fix now.

Yea how did the old "What's New" differ from the current "New Posts"?

A few issues/questions:

Can you provide a link to that thread? 2. In signature? or where was it? 3. Location should be there, check your profiles to make sure it is there, and I'll double check the settings. It was set to be there.

We changed the site by converting to new software. This converted all the old information (threads) as well. All the information was given a new home and Google has never visited our new home and taken note of the changes.

That is fixed now.

Can search with google now.

Location will show if filled in on Personal Details.
Go to the person icon, in upper right corner.
Top Left is Personal Details.
Put in your location and it will show under your avatar block and under banners.
I have SouthEast under mine so you can see how it will be.

[QU
2 requests to start

1. At the bottom of the index of each individual forum, there is : Thread Display Options

upload_2018-6-27_16-13-25.png

Once you open it, you can check how you want that forum to appear for you.

upload_2018-6-27_16-14-21.png

6 options under "Sort thread by" Order threads in : "Descending" or "Ascending"

These are the only options available.

To go to the first unread post in a thread, look for the blue dot to the left of the Title of the thread: Click on it.

upload_2018-6-27_16-21-2.png

New format has lots of pluses... as does the app.

Congrats to Angie and all others involved in the transition. Great work people! I can now use the browser version on my phone comfortably. Previously, the browser was too tiny to be useful so I had to use the app.

One thing I haven't worked out as yet - so I'm seeking help. How can I download my messages (PMs)? I'm seriously choked despite the site supporter limit of 800 messages. o_O

Back