What kind of deal should I expect for Black Friday?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently became very interested in thinly ground carbon steels knives. I already received a 240 Anryu Blue 2 Gyuto from CKTG so my eager of owing one has been relieved a bit. Now I want to grab a Wakui 210 Gyuto from EpicEdge, but I heard that EpicEdge will have great deals on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, so should I wait until then? What kind of deal EpicEdge and other online Japaneses knife retailers typically have for Black Friday? I live in Connecticut, US if it matters.

Thanks for any advice/opinion,

update: I just can’t stop thinking of it so I placed the order...

Last edited:

parbaked

Reaction score
EE Black Friday sale is unique in that each hour they put a different assortment of knives on sale.
You have keep checking back every hour, around the clock, to see what are that hour's specials.

M1k3

Reaction score
EE Black Friday sale is unique in that each hour they put a different assortment of knives on sale.
You have keep checking back every hour, around the clock, to see what are that hour's specials.
So....like Walmart o_O

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Thanks! That's very helpful!

CiderBear

Reaction score
What about JNS, JKI and places that carry Hitohira knives - do they usually have sales?

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Thank you guys. If it’s usually 15%, I’d pull the trigger now as EpicEdge provide 10% off to KKF member anyway and it cannot be stacked with BFCM discount.

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. If it’s usually 15%, I’d pull the trigger now as EpicEdge provide 10% off to KKF member anyway and it cannot be stacked with BFCM discount.
Does EE still offer a KKF discount? I remember hearing something otherwise.

toddnmd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
EE changes every two hours. Some items will cycle through more than once. It’s a mix with some good deals.
KnS also has some good deals. I think James holds on to some unique items to offer.
Start saving now.

Gregmega

Reaction score
EE changes every two hours. Some items will cycle through more than once. It’s a mix with some good deals.
KnS also has some good deals. I think James holds on to some unique items to offer.
Start saving now.
Last year they had a couple TF denkas up for a decent markdown.

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Update: I just received the 210 Wakui Gyuto from EE today and the invoice shows clearly that 10% discount was applied. The knife looks great!

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: I just received the 210 Wakui Gyuto from EE today and the invoice shows clearly that 10% discount was applied. The knife looks great!
Do you have any other Wakui's?
Wondering what the grind is like on the ones that they carry. I received one from EE that was quite a bit thicker and heavier than the one I got from Bernal. Also, would you say the profile has a flat spot or does it have a continuous curve? Thanks

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
Wondering what the grind is like on the ones that they carry. I received one from EE that was quite a bit thicker and heavier than the one I got from Bernal. Also, would you say the profile has a flat spot or does it have a continuous curve? Thanks
I don’t have other version but #26 post of this thread says the Migaki version is supposed to be the thinner one?
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/wakui-gyuto-question.42444/

Hz_zzzzzz

Reaction score
also see my poorly taken choil shot and other pics below

Attachments

Ivang

Reaction score
Ive seen wakui choil's with what appears to be a much, much thinner and higher grind than that, specially behind the edge. but choil shots can be deceiving.