What kind of light do you prefer when sharpening?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
My favorite time to sharpen is around 3pm in the summer because natural light comes through the window in my kitchen where I sharpen. I can see what I'm doing and can see the edge really well in that light. But, winter is here and im thinking about getting a lamp to help me see better.
What lighting do you all use in your sharpening areas?
Thanks in advance.

My favorite time to sharpen is around 3pm in the summer because natural light comes through the window in my kitchen where I sharpen. I can see what I'm doing and can see the edge really well in that light. But, winter is here and im thinking about getting a lamp to help me see better.
What lighting do you all use in your sharpening areas?
Thanks in advance.

At the moment, neon ceiling lights and whatever small amount of natural light shines in my kitchen window.

Light from the costa blanca. Everything seems better, sharpening included, when I am in my apartment on the coast of Spain. This dim light from the forests of PA really doesn't do it for me. Barring that any natural light will do and if not available then anything overhead that is not too bright will do.

I generally turn on the lights...I find they work better that way..

Only the full moon glow filtering through the fog :D

... Just normal, good room lighting will suffice. If I am going to be spending a while doing any work, natural sun light is my preference - but only because it is more pleasant.

Fenix SuperRaptor - 1400 Lumens

912286_fenix_hm65r_00-550x550.jpg

I dont care about ambient light, my magnifier and Dinolite have build in lights :)

Regards

Uwe

Heh, at a guess, is suspect many many forum members are into photography. For those that aren’t the answer will always be room lighting, for those who are, early evening autumn sun. Though I suspect it would have been an early morning task back in the day

I prefer light facing me, that way I see the scratches much better.
Like you, too little/bad light has been one of my favorite excuse for not polishing ;-)

Back