What knife should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve L.

Reaction score
Hello from Iowa. I’m a home cook here looking for advice choosing a new chefs knife. Thanks

United States of America

KNIFE TYPE

What type of knife are you interested in? Chefs knife

Are you right or left handed? Right hand

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Western Handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8”

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $75

KNIFE USE

Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home Kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? Slicing and chopping vegetables, slicing and trimming meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing? 8” stainless Rada chefs knife

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) A knife that holds a sharp edge longer. Full tang and lighter would be nice. Sharp right out of the box.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)Yes, bamboo and plastic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes, I try.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I’m interested to know if I should be considering a forged or stamped blade. These are the two knives I’ve been considering.

https://www.misen.co/products/misen-chefs-knife?variant=47525341324

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0758JZBL6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I got a Yahiko VG10 for my daughter when she started culinary school. The performance is high value for the money spent. I recommend it for a nice intro to Japanese knives. The current sale is bonus.

I ordered the Tojiro 2 knife combo. Thanks to all very much for the assistance.

Back