What knife should I buy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djl1010

Banned
Reaction score
Central Florida, USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Looking for an all rounder with high utility.

Are you right or left handed? Ambidextrous but primarily use my right hand when cutting

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Either is fine but I haven't owned a Japanese style handle so I would like to try it.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 7" / 180mm would be around the max length. I have an 8.5" kiritsuke that I think is a little too long and too thick

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) No, although I would prefer it to be stainless cladded at least as I have never owned a high carbon steel knife. I could use some advice on this though if the stainless cladding is just for aesthetics or actually helps keeping it in good condition.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? About $300 or a little more. Prefer to be around $200 but if it's worth the extra money I don't mind spending more.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home use. Roughly an hour of constant use about 5 days a week.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) I plan to use it as a versatile utility knife for as much as I can. I have a larger knife for big butchering jobs and bone-breaking and some other more specialty knives for filleting fish and stuff.

What knife, if any, are you replacing? Heinkel four star pro 8" chef's knife and a Dalstrong 8.5" kiritsuke

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) Pinch and hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Slice, Push, Draw

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) thinner and maybe a little lighter. Both the knives I primarily use are quite thick and prevents my cuts from gliding cleanly through the piece. I'd alos like something that can hold an edge better than my german knife and take a sharper edge. The Dalstrong has held it's edge a really long time but is just too long for me.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not too picky on this as long as it isn't too boring.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Don't mind the weight all that much as long as it's well balanced.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? I take pretty good care of my knives so maintenance and care is less of a concern. However I cook with a lot of acidic foods so I would prefer something that isn't too affected by that after the patina forms. I'd like something that can get really sharp and hold that sharp edge.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? at least 4 months. I am not really sure what is considered normal.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I prefer a straighter blade.
I have Shapton glass 500 and 6000, Shapton pro 2000 and 12000, and a leather strope. So from what I understand, anything higher than 63 HRC may be difficult for me to sharpen.
I have linked some knives I have looked at below but I am not sure if there are any styles better suited for me.

https://carbonknifeco.com/collectio.../products/kikumori-nashiji-blue-2-bunka-180mmhttps://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...a/products/tsunehisa-as-kurouchi-nakiri-165mmhttps://carbonknifeco.com/collections/nakiri-santoku-bunka/products/shibata-kotetsu-bunka-175mmhttps://carbonknifeco.com/collectio...akayuki-walnut-33-layer-damascus-nakiri-160mm

I own one of these and it is an excellent knife. Comfortable spine and choil, light, nimble, suits a variety of grips for different tasks, laser-y, and the AS steel is pretty resilient and takes an awesome edge.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=97273&bc=no
Now, I don't live in a generally humid environment and while I don't baby knives and this knife does get exposure to a lot of conditions without issue, I do see you're in Florida so carbon may require more attention. Our own @daveb is down there and might be able to weigh in.

If so, although it is a jump in price, the same knife can be had in the fully stainless Powder Metallurgy steel SRS15.
https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93729&bc=no
PM means very fine grains that translate to very keen edges. But, at ~$320 you're getting a lot of different options. Although I still think these are very good knives.

Another brand to check out is Tsunehisa, specifically their Ginsan family.

If you're just wanting to try something, I have a Tadafusa for sale. It's a good knife but not as refined as the Akifusa.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/tadafusa-aogami-2-180mm-gyuto-price-drop.59328/

Not sure how much a Watanabe (b#2 w ss clad) 180 gyuto costs now, but as of like May of this year they were around 250-300. One of my favorite 180s.

For stainless option you cannot beat the myojin sg2 180mm.

Both are extremely fine behind the edge, excellent grinds, and nice height for a compact all-rounder

Now, I don't live in a generally humid environment and while I don't baby knives and this knife does get exposure to a lot of conditions without issue, I do see you're in Florida so carbon may require more attention.

Another brand to check out is Tsunehisa, specifically their Ginsan family.
I didn't even think about the humidity being an issue here. Although I usually have the AC running ahve one of those smart thermostats so my indoor humidity stays pretty close to 45%. As well I do a lot of 3D printing for a small business I started and every sppol ships with a silica gel pack so I might throw some in my knife drawer.

The Tsunehisas in the links I showed at the end of my post definitely caught my eye. I'll check out the ginsan line.

On another note, what's your opinion on the gyuto vs a bunka knife? I think the european chef knives have way too much of a curve and my kiritsuke feels just about right in that regard. It's kind of hard for me to tell by pictures if the blade on a gyuto is a more intense curve or not. That being said, I'm not professionally trained and I very well may not use proper technique, leading me to prefer a flatter blade.

I didn't even think about the humidity being an issue here. Although I usually have the AC running ahve one of those smart thermostats so my indoor humidity stays pretty close to 45%. As well I do a lot of 3D printing for a small business I started and every sppol ships with a silica gel pack so I might throw some in my knife drawer.

The Tsunehisas in the links I showed at the end of my post definitely caught my eye. I'll check out the ginsan line.

On another note, what's your opinion on the gyuto vs a bunka knife? I think the european chef knives have way too much of a curve and my kiritsuke feels just about right in that regard. It's kind of hard for me to tell by pictures if the blade on a gyuto is a more intense curve or not. That being said, I'm not professionally trained and I very well may not use proper technique, leading me to prefer a flatter blade.

I've experimented with a couple different bunkas. First, understand that the knife design name has to be taken with a grain of salt as there is a ton of overlap. You can have flat gyutos and curved bunkas but in general, bunkas will be flatter.

If a flatter profile suits you more then by all means pursue it. A highly regarded knife is Yoshikane. Here's another Epic Edge link (I do buy from other vendors too, I promise):

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91653&bc=no
I also own the Watamabe Pro that @tostadas mentioned it is great. A bit flatter than others but still has a fair amount of curve.

Another Floridian here, I was in Orlando before Disney, spent most of work life in Panama City and now in final career in Tampa / St Pete. Don't find humidity to be a factor in a household kitchen, somewhat significant in a pro kitchen.

Don't like Bunka, Santoku at all. Tried a many of them and no need to try more. Short gyuto, yes. Long gyuto, yes. Heavy ones, light ones, workhorses, lasers, like em all. The one I'm going to pick up for work is a mid-weight, 240mm, less than 50mm tall gyuto. At home I'm leaning more to 225 and 210.

If you're close to west coast we could probably arrange a sampling.

I've experimented with a couple different bunkas. First, understand that the knife design name has to be taken with a grain of salt as there is a ton of overlap. You can have flat gyutos and curved bunkas but in general, bunkas will be flatter.

If a flatter profile suits you more then by all means pursue it. A highly regarded knife is Yoshikane. Here's another Epic Edge link (I do buy from other vendors too, I promise):

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91653&bc=no
I also own the Watamabe Pro that @tostadas mentioned it is great. A bit flatter than others but still has a fair amount of curve.
Thanks a ton, I'll spend some time on epic edge. I'm so used to buying at places like sur la table so I'm not sure where to shop. I wish there was a good shop here but I haven't been able to find one. I tried JKI bit a lot of their knives are out of stock.

I picked up this Yoshikane 180mm from Carbon Knife about a month ago for under $300. Classic Yoshikane flat spot, SKD very sharp very nimble, and I believe still available.
3419925D-D5DE-4977-A755-34D0F1CBE9EF.jpeg

I picked up this Yoshikane 180mm from Carbon Knife about a month ago for under $300. Classic Yoshikane flat spot, SKD very sharp very nimble, and I believe still available.
View attachment 186299
I have the 210mm version of this, it's a great recommendation, super knives.

This should help:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/who-do-you-buy-from.52523/
Along with Epic Edge, I'm a big fan of Bernal Cutlery and Strata Portland.
I ended up buying that Akifusa and it is by far the best knife I have owned but I am so scared to sharpen it when the time comes. I'm still not the best at sharpening and especially knives with curvier profiles I have trouble with so I plan on practicing for a few months before taking it to the 2k grit stone. It's just a way smaller angle than I am used to sharpening

I ended up buying that Akifusa and it is by far the best knife I have owned but I am so scared to sharpen it when the time comes. I'm still not the best at sharpening and especially knives with curvier profiles I have trouble with so I plan on practicing for a few months before taking it to the 2k grit stone. It's just a way smaller angle than I am used to sharpening

Mark the edge bevel with a Sharpie and take a couple light strokes and observe. It will show what you're doing.

Latest posts

Back