What knives have you bought, sold, and bought again?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been at this "hobby" for about 2.5 years now, I have tried quite a few knives, selling many of them to try more, discovering what I like. After going around the block I am returning to some of the knives that I originally bought, the Gengetsu is one of them. I originally thought it was too flat and that the 240 was too big, now I have a 210 and 240 semistainless and like them, alot. I remember thinking that when I sold the 210 I would be buying one again.

Once you go around the proverbial block it makes sense to circle back and track down the greatest hits.
Working on my greatest hits collection right now.
The only real remaining frontier now is all these custom guys doing cool stuff.

Ive bought and sold several 150mm pettys thinking id use them but i never do if that counts

Kono hd2 240. Don't remember why i sold it but im glad to have another

Takeda Nakiri 180mm, I let the forum opinion turn me off it for a while but realised it's a knife I can't live without. I haven't found anything else that can finely dice a half onion and still have it maintain it's shape perfectly on the chopping board. Useless on large carrots, sweet potatoes and meat though.

Dalman Sawjihiki. Sold my first one to a good friend, but always regretted it a little bit. So I had to buy another one, when getting the chance.

Mack.

My very first non-big brand knife was a 240 Takeda, some 12 years ago. I had a love-hate relationship with it. Learned a lot from it. Sold it.

Recently I made a trade for an old grind 240 Takeda. I took it to the 2x72 for a thinning and tune up, and I gotta say, it's a great knife. It's probably the thinnest gyuto behind the edge I've ever used, and is holding up well. It's a big knife, but is light.

I will probably keep this one, at least for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20191022_111133_924.jpg
    IMG_20191022_111133_924.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
KS 240. Old batch didn’t click with me, back then it was too long and the handle was a joke and too small for my (smallish) hands. Bought one from the new batch, handle is much better and also the knife clicks with me, now the blade size is perfect...

And what made the cut?
I’m probably going to become one of those guys with 4-5 Mazakis. But you do have to pick and choose which ones you prefer because theyre not all the same. But the right Mazaki in hand feels so right. I enjoy them more than Watanabe or Toyama for gyuto.
Ditto for Heiji.
Tanaka and wakui are special, I want to eventually grab one or both again.
Shigehiro will stay with me for life.
I have ideas in my head for a unicorn TF maboroshi, still have to find out what’s possible.

outside of Japan: Kippington, isasmedjan, the 9, Antzenberger, Catcheside...maybe more. Still exploring.

Takeda Nakiri 180mm, I let the forum opinion turn me off it for a while but realised it's a knife I can't live without. I haven't found anything else that can finely dice a half onion and still have it maintain it's shape perfectly on the chopping board. Useless on large carrots, sweet potatoes and meat though.
Have you tried a Catcheside? Also forged geometry food releasing machine.

Have you tried a Catcheside? Also forged geometry food releasing machine.

It's definitely high up on the wish list, it doesn't hurt that his nickel clad stuff looks really unique either. Unfortunately the shipping to/from Australia prevents me from doing too many BSTs.

Almost sold my Sukenari, didn't, used it some more, bought another. It's a worker.

Traded a Murata, bought another because it's cheap enough to learn sharpening and thinning but still a good knife when the job is done and the iron cladding isn't crazy reactive like Mizuno.

Almost sold my Sukenari, didn't, used it some more, bought another. It's a worker.

Traded a Murata, bought another because it's cheap enough to learn sharpening and thinning but still a good knife when the job is done and the iron cladding isn't crazy reactive like Mizuno.
What were the reasons you considered bouncing the Sukenari, and what exactly brought you back? I am currently considering one. 240 R2

I’m probably going to become one of those guys with 4-5 Mazakis. But you do have to pick and choose which ones you prefer because theyre not all the same. But the right Mazaki in hand feels so right. I enjoy them more than Watanabe or Toyama for gyuto.
Ditto for Heiji.
Tanaka and wakui are special, I want to eventually grab one or both again.
Shigehiro will stay with me for life.
I have ideas in my head for a unicorn TF maboroshi, still have to find out what’s possible.

outside of Japan: Kippington, isasmedjan, the 9, Antzenberger, Catcheside...maybe more. Still exploring.

how did that kns Mazaki work out? If you end up with 4 or 5 your gonna go through 20-25 Lol! For a TF Mab, contact epic edge to go through his inventory from time to time. You’ll pay a lot more, but eventually you’ll find one you like. I almost pulled the trigger on a mab there a while back but just couldn’t justify the price.
Maybe check out a Kamon knife as well? I was on his list, but he never got back to me regarding a custom.

how did that kns Mazaki work out? If you end up with 4 or 5 your gonna go through 20-25 Lol! For a TF Mab, contact epic edge to go through his inventory from time to time. You’ll pay a lot more, but eventually you’ll find one you like. I almost pulled the trigger on a mab there a while back but just couldn’t justify the price.
Maybe check out a Kamon knife as well? I was on his list, but he never got back to me regarding a custom.
Maz from K&S is sitting here unused. I’m on the fence about it. Plus I have another from cleancut.
I’m going to PM you about the TF stuff.

tanaka ginsan and blue. In theory they're great but I just don't find myself holding on to them. There won't be a 3rd time I think...

Profile is just a little too curvy...right?

Its partially that, I still plow through things lazy-sloppy with the ol wusthofs often enough not to mind. I just cant connect with the nashiji or in hand feel.

What were the reasons you considered bouncing the Sukenari, and what exactly brought you back? I am currently considering one. 240 R2
I had it up for sale, then realized I refused to lower the price to sell, started using it again and fell in love. Never sharpened it, so the ZDP might suck, but the blue super on the way should be fine.
All factors are well balanced, sharpness, food release, great clean flat profile and well finished with polished spine and choil. Core steel is dead even between the cladding. Great worker. Not the best in any one category but well above average in all and lacking in none.
People ***** and moan about wabi sabi problems with knives then go out and buy them because that's exactly what makes them romantic. This looks almost factory finished, but is hand made. YMMV

I had it up for sale, then realized I refused to lower the price to sell, started using it again and fell in love. Never sharpened it, so the ZDP might suck, but the blue super on the way should be fine.
All factors are well balanced, sharpness, food release, great clean flat profile and well finished with polished spine and choil. Core steel is dead even between the cladding. Great worker. Not the best in any one category but well above average in all and lacking in none.
People ***** and moan about wabi sabi problems with knives then go out and buy them because that's exactly what makes them romantic. This looks almost factory finished, but is hand made. YMMV

I might be remembering incorrectly but I think I saw a video showing sukenari gyutos getting made and there was a lot of automated manufacturing involved including cutting the profile out from a sheet of laminated steel. I'll see if I can track it down. They certainly have a very very high level of f&f though and very consistent knives so that could be a factor.

EDIT: Might have only been the crazier steels like ZDP-189.

Last edited:
It's certainly possible. I saw a ryusen video recently where they talk about forging to rough shape then stamping to final shape. Nice process. Factory lamination has its advantages from a materials perspective. Lower error rates if I recall. I'd have to call an actual smith to weigh in though. Make no mistake though, the process at Sukenari involves a lot of hand work. KnS videos show a lot of hard working dudes.

Back