what loupe strength do you suggest for edge checks? 10, 15, 20x?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canali

Reaction score
what loupe strength do you suggest for edge checks? 10, 15, 20x?
belemo or b/l i presume are the better brands...i should also make sure it's a 'triplet'?

Easy answer is none - but it's a "thing" everybody goes thru.

I have a 20x and 40x laying in a junk drawer. Cheap is good. In the states they're about $5 on Amazon.

The main value of the "paper test" is that it will show you where any dings are that are too small to see.

Short answer,none of your picks. I would say 30x minimum. I have the 10x and the 20x,waste of money and collecting dust or the wife uses them to find a splinter. My 30x does ok but you have to practically put your nose right down by the edge to see clearly. Anymore,I just go by feel or do a cut test.

thanks gang...i'm now reading similar ops about it not being essential...that instead many more savvy sharpeners bypass a loupe and instead also just look for a consistent streak of light all along the edge when sharpening, and that any black or shadow shows a burr is still there..i'm also going to experiment with a sharpie given i'm a newbie to it.

i do have one of those edge angle guides (that attaches to the knife) which i'll initially use for the first handful, as i read consistency of angle in stroke is more important than the angle used, though i'll still aim for 15-20 degrees of course when i'm not using it.

question: how can you check by a cut test (say it cuts fine after sharpening)
do you simply run the knife very slowly thru the paper to listen/feel for any rougher, slower cuts?

will be sharpening my 2nd knife (or 1st , independent from sharpening class i took) in a few days...i'm stoked!:)

Last edited:
I agree with Dave--and mine lives in the junk drawer too. It probably won't help much (if at all) with sharpening and there are easier/better methods to check the edge (fingers, paper test). But they are fun to use just to check stuff out. It's like being back in kindergarten--any time I take it out to look at an edge I look at whatever else is nearby...
This works way better than a loupe since it's 20-40x and focuses (can't focus a loupe):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Z3A8UY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Dave--and mine lives in the junk drawer too. It probably won't help much (if at all) with sharpening and there are easier/better methods to check the edge (fingers, paper test). But they are fun to use just to check stuff out. It's like being back in kindergarten--any time I take it out to look at an edge I look at whatever else is nearby...
This works way better than a loupe since it's 20-40x and focuses (can't focus a loupe):
-------------------------------

per magnification, i hear you: brings out the kid in you, that 'oh, so cool!' factor

...and instead also just look for a consistent streak of light all along the edge when sharpening, and that any black or shadow shows a burr is still there

Actually it's the opposite. A burr will glint in the light and a clean (sharp) edge shows no reflection at it's apex.

As to your loupe question, I too say skip it, unless you have an additional use for it once you realize it doesn't help much at all for sharpening.

I bought a Belomo 10x triplet back in the 90's when they first came to the western market, these things are great and were practically free at the time. I looked at edges initially and then just stopped but the loupe served me well on many antiquing trips. Seeing a makers mark on old knives ad razors can be tough sometimes. :)

Actually it's the opposite. A burr will glint in the light and a clean (sharp) edge shows no reflection at it's apex.

As to your loupe question, I too say skip it, unless you have an additional use for it once you realize it doesn't help much at all for sharpening.

I bought a Belomo 10x triplet back in the 90's when they first came to the western market, these things are great and were practically free at the time. I looked at edges initially and then just stopped but the loupe served me well on many antiquing trips. Seeing a makers mark on old knives ad razors can be tough sometimes. :)
-------------------
Thanks for clarifying the burr visuals.

I bought a 20 euro 20x loupe in a dusty stamp collectors shop some years ago. It helped me learn how to feel a bur, so I always felt it was useful. Plus you can see in more detail what finish a stone leaves on the edge. Plus I liked looking at the edge just for the sake of it. Money well spent as far as I am concerned.

I enjoy having a glass but for other purposes. For feeling an edge I think the best thing I ever did was to learn the 3 finger test from an old Murray Carter video.

Yep,me too.I think I use the three finger test more then anything.My three fingers tell me a lot about my edge safely. They clearly tell me if my edge is good or not good,there is no in between.

Easy answer is none - but it's a "thing" everybody goes thru.

I have a 20x and 40x laying in a junk drawer. Cheap is good. In the states they're about $5 on Amazon.

The main value of the "paper test" is that it will show you where any dings are that are too small to see.

My opinion also! Not much use in sharpening it self. I find the most usage for loupe using it compare the grit of the stones.

Who's Dave Murray, lol? FWIW, that is Murray Carter in the linked video and yes that is the 3 finger test.

Gonna be honest, I can make a knife sharpener, really really sharp and I've never used a loupe, if there's a burr and it's small I just run the knife through a wine/beer cork and strop the blade, a loupe is for jewelry no t knives. Maybe you could use it to estimate the grit of a natural stone as mentioned before .But those are more about mystique anyway. Take the $5 and buy your self a nice beer instead.

What everyone said is absolutely correct. Personally I use a loop, not observe the edge, but the sides, especially when thinning. I like to see the scratch pattern, cause everyone the sharpens wobbles. I also like to see how the angles are blended. On certain knives like a gyuto/nakiri, I'll put a little more shoulder on the right side to aid in food release, others like Suji I prefer zero bevels.

RANT:I'm going to make a blanket statement here: Using the three finger test is not useful its mandatory. I'm not a knife maker, but those that are, am I wrong? If you don't have horizontal slices through the first two layers of your epidermis on your fingers, learn how to get them.

I do use a loupe, 8x or 10x, for verifying for micro-bevels when using the marker trick on unknown knives. Might have to do with my poor old eyes. Anyway, it helps me greatly. There's a learning curve with loupes, and getting used to higher magnification will take much more time, without great benefit. The Belomo 10x triplet is a good one, not that cheap anymore but still reasonable compared to the big German names.
If you still have a SLR-camera standard lens it will work as well. Use the front as an ocular. Magnification +/- 8x.

RANT:I'm going to make a blanket statement here: Using the three finger test is not useful its mandatory. I'm not a knife maker, but those that are, am I wrong? If you don't have horizontal slices through the first two layers of your epidermis on your fingers, learn how to get them.

I agree that the (Murray Carter's) 3 finger test is something worth doing, I use it ALL the time.

One caveat...
I always feel the need to point out that a poor cutting, rough (or burred up) edge will pass the test with flying colors, even better than that perfect crispy edge that cuts great will so keep this in mind. The point being is that you're testing to make sure that you haven't rounded and/or over polished the edge vs de-burred it correctly.

+1 MC’s 3 finger test.

Thumbnail test is my go-to for quick checks.

I cut a piece of cardboard. If I can still shave with it after, the edge is fine. Mr. Carter had something to do with this. I haven't used any kind of magnification for knives. And I've stopped using it for razors some time ago.

I had a 20x one that I used when I started and haven't used it since....

Its like the marker test, after a while you get a sense of knowing if you are hitting the bevels, consistency, angle, sharpness, etc. Its almost intuitive... now a days I don't even need to cut paper

I think the fingernail test is good to be honest.... also looking a the bevel against the light works for me in detecting issues, little trick you develop thru practice.

Last edited:
I agree w most posted here already, especially that one can detect a burr w fingers or w light, feel for microchips w paper (I like receipt paper,) and that 8x, 10x, 20x, 30x loupes are a pain in the ass and gather dust.
If we're just after sharpening a knife nothing beyond good use of normal senses is required.

However; w a USB microscope you can see a whole lot more about exactly what's going on w your sharpening!!
From scratch patterns to pits, chips, cracks, corrosion, wire edges, foils, and on and on, there's nothing like having a quick simple look at somewhere between 70x and 300x.
It takes me 10 seconds per side to examine a knife's edge in great detail so I know way better what I've done and where to go next.

Dino-Lite has lots of choices, and the nice stuff is easily over $1200.,
but you can get most of that w a cheap Celestron for $70 or so.
Example below not visible w naked eye-

upload_2019-8-11_18-50-8.png

Here's another example.
In the first photo a synthetic finish to 16K w SG.
The second photo tells me what happened after cleanup w an Aoto, then a nice Ohira.
Just seeing this has helped me create longer lasting edges and enjoy the process that much more.

upload_2019-8-11_19-19-55.png

upload_2019-8-11_19-20-53.png

Last edited:
Fwiw, Mr. Carter is a great advocate of the three finger test but he’s certainly not the inventor. My father taught me the test, and scared the carp out of me, when I was a wee lad long before our friend MC was born.

Yes eyes, but more fingers like the three finger test. With eyes I will typically see a remaining burr, if not I will feel it with fingertips going side to side over the edge. And I often check against the beard if it grabs the hairs easily.

Latest posts

Back