What Magnets are used in a Magnetic Knife Rack?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanjohnson

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have some random mahogany as well as some lyptus and wanted to make a knife rack. Anyone know what shape/ size magnets are typically used?

OOPS: Magnetic

do a google search on rare earth magnets..

hv fun..

I have a bunch of 1/4" diameter Neodymium discs but I think they are too small.

arent they powerful enough to hold the knife you want? some of the magnetic racks they use 2 rows of magnets for each knife. .The wood cant be too thick though.

rgds
D

For this:

IMAG0082.jpg

I used 2 rows of 20 mm neodymium discs. In hindsight, smaller ones would have done the job as well.

I have some random mahogany as well as some lyptus and wanted to make a knife rack. Anyone know what shape/ size magnets are typically used?

OOPS: Magnetic

If you have a wooden strip with embedded magnets in mind, get rectangular magnets, 1/2x1/8x2" and assort them in a row. This way, you won't have any blind spots. You can also get 1/2x1/8x1" but would need more magnets.
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_5&products_id=54

You might also want to consider using some Magnetic Field Shielding material to direct the pull into one direction - face of your block.

As long as magnets are relatively close tot he face (about 1/8) you will get strong pull.

M

If you store your blades tip down they're less likely to slide off---the handle catches the edge of the rack.

@sean-dang fine tile. They just don't make them like they used to.

I have found round rare earth magnets work the best for me.
All you need is a forsner bit and a plug cutter to embed them in the wood.

Back