What might this Masamoto have looked like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures of a knife bought used some time ago. It was pretty beaten up, but I decided to give it a go. Very happy I did. Now, in its current state (I haven’t cared to make large modifications) it has a somewhat unusual profile which makes me wonder; how did it once look? What was the original profile? It is approx 280 mm.
View attachment 56918
View attachment 56919View attachment 56920
You see a bit of overgrind here that I have neglected.
View attachment 56921
Marks from a previous owner, maybe?

My own uneducated guess or hypothesis is that this knife had a more standard Gyuto profile, with a higher heel, and that it has been worn down through use (it looks like a classic overgrind due to excessive use of honing rod). But this is pure speculation and it would be fun to know what you guys think. Purely for the sake of satisying an intellectual curiosity.
I got a knife by the same maker, please see my post on your thread. Did you find out anything more about your knife?

I got a knife by the same maker, please see my post on your thread. Did you find out anything more about your knife?

Hi, sorry, didn’t see this before! Yes, I agree, there’s a clear resemblance. As for your question: I was told that the steel is probably v2 (not white #2) and that the knife might have been a big Gyuto. Apart from that I know little else. But it’s a great knife and I’m sure yours is too! Congrats! [emoji16]

Back