What movies with a cooking theme would you recommend?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 Tampopo

Dinner Rush - been a few years but remember really digging it when it first came out

Couple of documentaries:

I Like Killing Flies - follows hilarious owner of famous NY hole in the wall, Shopsin's

El Bulli: Cooking in Progress - not so much a cooking movie as much as an overview of Ferran Adria's creative process for coming up with dishes

OK, so not movies (I gave my stellar movie recommendation earlier) but Netflix series:

Chef's table - documentaries about food and food culture. Somewhat hit and miss, with some being brilliant and others that I gave up on after a few minutes because they were shot/directed so tediously (or were WAY too focused on the person's circumstances rather than the food/process/history), but well worth working through.

Final Table - a faux "reality TV" series, but with ridiculously impressive chefs making ridiculously impressive food. Host gets annoying, they have a series of dumbarse "judges" for the first part of each show, and the finale is as cringy/cliched as you would expect (i.e. if you can't predict who the winner is (with zero reference to the actual food that might be produced) going into it there's something badly wrong with you), but the creativity/thought processes make it worthwhile.

Salt Fat Acid Heat - Only four episodes, but it's interesting. Mostly liked the presenter.

Ugly Delicious - Not a fan of all of David Chang's work, but we mostly liked these.

The Blues Brothers. Elwood makes a piece of toast, and it also has a high-end restaurant, a rustic diner, a country and western saloon, and prison food. I think that has all the bases covered. Also, and this is the important part, it's one of the greatest movies ever made.

HTH
Been awhile since I seen it, but, isn't there a mall food court also?

+1 Tampopo

Dinner Rush - been a few years but remember really digging it when it first came out

Couple of documentaries:

I Like Killing Flies - follows hilarious owner of famous NY hole in the wall, Shopsin's

El Bulli: Cooking in Progress - not so much a cooking movie as much as an overview of Ferran Adria's creative process for coming up with dishes

just watched dinner rush, was great!

When they drive through the mall. I could be wrong.
OK, I think Jake references a burger joint not long after they get into the mall, then there's a sausage shop selling red hots(?) called Lemmy's as the cops drive through the clothing store (gingliss formalwear), Davidson's Bakery, G. Fishman's Sons Inc (but doesn't appear to sell fish), and the supermarket at the end.

But no food court that I saw.

However, there are several continuity errors that are easy enough to see, when you watch the backgrounds rather than the action, that I'd never seen before, so thank you for that, you have added to my (reasonably extensive) BB knowledge today 🙃

Ratatouille :)

Attachments

• Rat.jpg
    Rat.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 3
Eat Drink Man Woman. Favorite movie even before I cared about cooking.

I just finished watching Julie and Julia. I really quite enjoyed it. Meryl Streep, Stanley Tucci, and Amy Adams. Nothing shoddy about that cast!

It's a slow movie. Nothing all that exciting really happens, but I was engaged the entire time. It is the strength of the acting and camera work that really holds this one up.

Not a "must see" but, if you are into cooking, worth adding to the list. I do feel inspired to get Julia's book now :)

I just finished watching Julie and Julia. I really quite enjoyed it. Meryl Streep, Stanley Tucci, and Amy Adams. Nothing shoddy about that cast!

It's a slow movie. Nothing all that exciting really happens, but I was engaged the entire time. It is the strength of the acting and camera work that really holds this one up.

Not a "must see" but, if you are into cooking, worth adding to the list. I do feel inspired to get Julia's book now :)

It’s a nice one indeed.

+1 Tampopo

Couple of documentaries:

I would also re-recommend Dinner Rush for anyone looking over this thread. It came out about a year after Kitchen Confidential and it feels like the writers borrowed a lot from that book or maybe even consulted Anthony Bourdain. The kitchen scenes, talking about mise en place, the degenerate gambling, the mob element and just the dialogue all feel very influenced by Kitchen Confidential. A real hidden gem of a movie. And it’s free on YouTube.

Back