What one Jnat should I buy from JNS?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have some decent synthetics that I use regularly, but if I was going to buy one Jnat from JNS that I can keep on the counter and use regularly for touch-ups, which one should I get?

Thanks

I have some decent synthetics that I use regularly, but if I was going to buy one Jnat from JNS that I can keep on the counter and use regularly for touch-ups, which one should I get?

Does it have to be JNS? The selection isnt huge at the moment. Also... does it have to be full sized? And what price range are you considering? :) Since you are looking for touch-ups... look for a high-grit and muddy stone. It would allow you to play around with kasumi polishes on the primary bevel if you choose to.

Shoubudani (Shoubu) stones can be nice and forgiving. JNS has a few smaller Shoubu stones. There is also Bernal.

If you want larger/cheaper JKI has Hideriyama stones. I was choosing between a Shoubu and Hideriyama stone a long while ago. While I went with Shoubu, I believe Hideriyama can also be very friendly/forgiving stones.

... on the other hand... perhaps you want something a little lower grit so you can get that "sharp but toothy" experience. This would be more geared towards sharpening (by polishing/cosmetic standards you would get a scratchy finish). If this is more appealing... Aoto, Aizu, Tsushima (harder to use) are options

Last edited:
I would go for a Shoubudani Koppa Lv 2,5 they are quite cheap and a good starting point for trying out jnats, and maybe add one of the small red aotos to create a coarser mix of mud.

For a one-and-done, I like the hard blue Aotos A-Frames had. Not sure if there are any left. Aizu is quite similar.

For more refinement, the Ohira Tomae that CKTG brings in are great and not too pricey

At this moment, on the BST, there is a large Tsushima stone, reduced to $195, that I might well choose for that role, were I touching up good carbon steel knives.

There is a shoubudani suita that looks extremely promising for the role, and is described that way.

Maybe consider a deep dive into what's for sale on the BST? I have bought from JNS, and been very happy, but I've also bought from the BST, and mostly gotten more stone for the money that way.

Back