What reason used when let go good knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I wonder if anybody has put IN ADVANCE a limit for the number of knives to own? Like "Well...I need 6-7: a petty, 2 gyutos, a deba, a suji, a cleaver, a-something.Done"
I feel the same urge like you and I get scared....I imagine a mouse in a spinning wheel. :upsidedownspin:

Guys, I wonder if anybody has put IN ADVANCE a limit for the number of knives to own? Like "Well...I need 6-7: a petty, 2 gyutos, a deba, a suji, a cleaver, a-something.Done"
I feel the same urge like you and I get scared....I imagine a mouse in a spinning wheel. :upsidedownspin:
I've gone from that, to Budget Sanjo Shirogami. Let's see how long that lasts.

Sure. Then immediately disregard it.

It's good to sell if not getting used. Maybe the next person will use it.

There are a few good deals on BST. Bought a few over the years. Several have sold to students or cooks. Usually take a small loss just to get a good knife knowing they will be appreciated. Ever so often clear out extra blades make a list with discounted prices. Make copies on laser printer pass out to culinary students. That clears out inventory quick.

Not teaching sharpening now with covid19. Not decided if I will keep doing it after volunteering last 7 years.

I did, & still do. I have 5 Gyuto slot limit in my knife block with a policy to be one-in & one must be out. It’s been painful sometimes but the self-discipline is something I am proud of in my hobbies.

I have 6 daily drivers and 3 collectibles. Users that aren't seeing much use get moved on

I’ve only one petty and one usable beater at the moment. Is that a good or bad thing?

Sure, the problem is that the number keeps going up every time I buy a new knife.

No way, what happened to all the TFTFs?
Sold off the 240s this month. Now I’m left with a 150 Denka petty which is pretty much unsellable but I’m keeping it anyway, it’s pretty much my favorite knife to use now :)

71003815-9B34-4835-9A02-3B374DB35CE9.jpeg

Really, the knives that build up for me are the ones I don't love but have been used/sharpened enough that I wouldn't feel comfortable selling them, and now that I'm not working in kitchens there isn't an easy outlet for finding them a home. The Richmond honesuki that I never particularly cared for, an Aritsugu A series gyuto that's uncomfortable in my hands and took on some pitting when stored poorly, stuff like that.

When I first got into this, told myself I would never go carbon. Now it's nothing but carbon..

Inherited my father's carbon chisels & my grandfather's carbon boat building tools. None of my other siblings wanted them.

Used mono carbons at work, looked down on San Mai blades until got a Hiromoto AS core stainless clad back in early millinium. Now most of my home knives are San Mai easier to take care of for home use & still have carbon core.

Went through a stage trying modern quality stainless. Still have Tanaka Ginsan. Some of the user friendly powder steels like R2 are excellent. Stainless is so much better now but the masses don't use it because expensive
Most have never used a quality blade.

Some good blue #2 core stainless clad
can be had for 100- 200 price range.

Most all of the knives mentioned in this thread are unknown & out of reach except for knife nuts. To almost everyone else they would be mind blowing compared to what they are using now. When Janice goes out to cousins or friends places she tells them their knives are so dull. She has brought me quite a few knives to sharpen between relatives & yoga, Zumba folks. At least in Hawaii there are quite a few Macs.

Back