What reason used when let go good knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KS - i bought it very early on, heard it was great, and it was, then heard modern knives can be even better, so off go trying stuff.
Yoshihiro hammered 210 - the usual beginner knife that no longer could complete with my others, though I still think it's great value.
Yu Kurosaki Fujin 240 - beautiful, but turns out I don't like concave grinds.
Matsubara tall nakiri - I really miss the pointy tip, new k-tip ones are certainly on my wishlist.
Takeda 210 bunka - very cool in some cases, but somehow didn't jive with me all the time.
Carter funayuki 175 - excellent, but couldn't justify keeping it vs shibata.
Fujiwara 180ish - that level of hardness freaked me out back then, now could be different.
Kramer Damascus, 10 and 6 - just such authoritarian knifes, gorgeous, but hate the thickness behind the edge and the acid wash drag.
Kramer Meiji 10 - love the handle and height and flat spot, but really wanted something thinner behind the edge. Still tempted to buy one and try thinning.
Dalman 220ish - honestly couldn't justify keeping it when shibata 180 became my knifu.
Hazenburg 180ish - gorgeous and wonderful, but super reactive, so I got lazy and didn't reach for it.

as my wife would say, "why do you even need that many knives for?" or "is one sharp knife really that different than another sharp knife?"

Gotta love a woman's practical mind
Mine said the other day, ‘Surely this thing has run its course by now, aren’t they all the same??’ To which I responded ‘You mean like the 2 identical pair of shoes you bought from Europe in 2 color ways?’ Ain’t life grand?

Since we're listing blades:
ZKramer Carbon 8" - never felt right in the hand
ZKramer Carbon 10" - because someone asked nicely
Kono GS 240 - too lasery at the length for what I wanted
Kotetsu 180 Bunka - too thin at the edge for general use in my kitchen
Takeda Large NAS Nakiri - too much belly
Kaeru Stainless 210 Gyuto - just needed to make room for other stuff
Miyabi Birchwood 8" Chefs - balance point too far back
Miyabi Black 7" Santoku - wedged really bad, didn't want to try thinning
Zwilling Diplome 8" - balance point too far back

Only one I sorta regret was the ZKramer 10"

Real good list & reasons given!

The one I really really regret was the comet. I still have no idea what I was thinking. It was replaced by a raquin but still.
Likewise. Ultimately it comes down to practicalities. If the profile doesn't gel with me I won't use it no matter who the smith was or what steel he/she used. The Comet W2 Honyaki was a good case in point. My work surface is very high in relation to my height so I could never adapt to the high tip and extra belly in the tip region. That one was tough to let go but I have to be realistic. The Morihei/TF Hisamoto 240 (actually 247mm) was also impractical in my home kitchen. A flatish 215-235 and 50-52 heel height is my sweet spot and that's what I focus on now for future purchases.

Last edited:

Crap - just saw something and realized one more (and since I've been quoted, just going add it here)
ZKramer Essential 10" - as I regretted selling the ZKramer 10" Carbon (and can't buy one in Canada anymore), tried to relive the experience with this and it just wasn't the same.

Likewise. Ultimately it comes down to practicalities. If the profile doesn't gel with me I won't use it no mater who the smith was or what steel he/she used. The Comet W2 Honyaki was a good case in point. My work surface is very high in relation to my height so I could never adapt to the high tip and extra belly in there tip region. That one was tough to let go but I have to be realistic. The Morihei/TF Hisamoto 240 (actually 247mm) was also impractical in my home kitchen. A flatish 215-235 and 50-52 heel height is my sweet spot and that's what I focus on now for future purchases.

And in the end the Raquin is in a size (270) I’ll grab At work much more, if I ever get back there. Cooking at home so much I really miss that little knife.

K&S KU 240mm Mazaki - I got a screaming deal on a Tsubaya Branded Y. Tanaka 240 and I loved everything about it more except for maybe the thickness out of the spine and east of polishing because of the convex grind. Plus I didn’t like the balance point with the ebony handle K&S our on it. I like a Blade forward weight more. I’d love to get one with a lighter handle though.

K&S KU 240mm Mazaki - I got a screaming deal on a Tsubaya Branded Y. Tanaka 240 and I loved everything about it more except for maybe the thickness out of the spine and east of polishing because of the convex grind. Plus I didn’t like the balance point with the ebony handle K&S our on it. I like a Blade forward weight more. I’d love to get one with a lighter handle though.

Re-handle Wa is pretty easy thou, I re-handle every knife I get & shift the balance point to where I want it. Heavy K&S ebony handles shift balance back. One can use lighter wood or cut a piece of the rat tail off etc. to move balance forward without going back to Ho wood.

Re-handle Wa is pretty easy thou, I re-handle every knife I get & shift the balance point to where I want it. Heavy K&S ebony handles shift balance back. One can use lighter wood or cut a piece of the rat tail off etc. to move balance forward without going back to Ho wood.
Yeah but with how funds are right now I couldn’t justify having both with the wife. I just enjoy the tsubaya overall much more.

2d5adbb1fced79135c025120444a762b.gif

Back