What sharpening equipment do you use on the line?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bolt Thrower

Reaction score
What sharpening equipment do you use for quick touch ups mid service?

Currently I keep a single stone with me during service, a Spyderco fine bench stone. It cuts pretty fast and can be used dry, so it's fast and convenient to use.

What do you use?

Most people I've worked with that keep their own knives with them use rods of some sort. Some grooved steel, some diamond.

Mid Service a Borosilicate Rod first and then a ceramic once the edge no longer comes back with the borosilicate. I get the opportunity to strop my knives on loaded strops after service to bring them back for the next days work and this has worked well for months so far.

I don't think I ever "used a stone during service" ever in my 25 years as a professional chef. A steel/diamond rod is the touch up of most pro chefs.

( I do have a small man-made razor 1920's stone that is great for touch ups, they can be used wet or dry, just not during service)

I leave a stone at work in the rare instances I have time and need to do a quick touch up. If I really have to, I'll lightly use whoevers steel.

I don't think I ever "used a stone during service" ever in my 25 years as a professional chef. A steel/diamond rod is the touch up of most pro chefs.

( I do have a small man-made razor 1920's stone that is great for touch ups, they can be used wet or dry, just not during service)
rods definitely have the edge when it comes to convenience, but I always get better edges from a stone than a rod. might be a different story for some of you other guys. stone is definitely slower but the edge is sharper and lasts longer, so for me it's worth it.

I've been thinking about this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221001-112924_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20221001-112924_Instagram.jpg
    679.4 KB · Views: 0
Back