What stone line up are you using these days?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my bester 2k and suehiro 5k annnd used them for the first time today. The bester is great and god damn the rika is terrific. It is almost as if its made for my white steel. I highly recommend this combo for anyone with similar knives. The rika puts a great finish on the knife and I can even raise a burr no probllem with it... I didn't expect to since I couldn't with the king 6k

SS 240
Chosera 400, 1000, 3000, 10000
Loaded felt strop
Leather strop

my 1200 and 500 are perma soak, the rika I do not perma soak.

I'll assume we are talking about kitchen knife line up :p

I'm set up now for all synthetics with my western knives.

DMT 320 (now pretty much worn out :p )
Shapton GS 1k
Shapton GS 3k
Norton 4/8k (4k side pretty much gone)

I really haven't had the need to get farther on my kitchen knives. I want to get Chosera stones someday but not till my current ones wear out.

I've been testing out naturals on my traditional single bevels and have been happy with the results so far. However most of the stones I have are to small for kitchen knives lol.

-king 800
-Gesshin 2K
-Gesshin 5K
-Chunk O' leather

I use a king 1.2K on my single bevels sometimes if I want more contrast. The Gesshin leaves a lighter haze finish where my king 1200 leaves a much darker finish...Although I'm fairly new to this so I may be misenterpreting how I'm achieving these different results.

I've also used the King 1200 to get a really dark cantrast in the iron clad. After that I run it over the Ohira tomae to shine up the cladding a bit more.

I really haven't had the need to get farther on my kitchen knives.

That's cause there is no need! Often a kitchen knife with a straight-razor polish on it won't cut worth a crap. Maybe on a veggie cleaver, but that's about it.

Does anyone permasoak their besters or rikas?

I permasoak my bester 1200 and rika 5k. when I start sharpening I add the gesshin 5k to the tub.

BTW Jon, I have only used the Gesshin a few times, but I am really enjoying it so far. Great finish for line knives.

I permasoak my bester 1200 and rika 5k. when I start sharpening I add the gesshin 5k to the tub.

BTW Jon, I have only used the Gesshin a few times, but I am really enjoying it so far. Great finish for line knives.

yeah... thats pretty much the perfect way to deal with most splash and go stones... a few minutes soak makes a huge difference in speed and feel

glad you're liking the stone

This is my newbie set up for my newbie sharpening:

*Gesshin 400 - based on testing a bunch of stones for a few minutes each at Jon's, this one felt the nicest of the coarser stones. Except for one stone that none of us will ever get, lol.
*Gesshin 2000 - cuts pretty damn fast for how smooth it is (also, smooth does not mean slippery). Feels much nicer than the King 1k that it replaced.
*One of two naturals, which are around 6k (based on testing on razors)
*Atagoyama from Maksim - super smooth, fast cutting stone. Pretty sweet.

I just like using naturals, because I like how they look, smell, and feel. It might have been better for a newbie to go with synthetics, but oh well. I'm liking the naturals. I did the same thing with straight razors.

The gesshin 2k cuts fast enough to start on most times? I would love another splash and go to replace my bester 1200, that way i wouldnt have to the dry, pack, carry, soak, use, dry, pack, carry routine when I bring my stones to work. Problem is when other people use my stones and their knives are way shittier, they might need a sub 1000 stone to start on.

I don't have much experience sharpening knives or extensive experience sharpening knives with different stones, so take what I say with that in mind. That said, I really think the Gesshin 2k is fast. You see a ton of black almost immediately even if you sharpen with just medium pressure. It's kinda like the Bester 1200 (which I've only used for a few minutes) in terms of speed, but it feels less gritty. It is not, however, splash and go. Jon recommends at least a 30 minute soak, I think. Oh, Jon beat me to that part.

Oh bummer. I knew some Gesshins were soakers, couldnt remember which. Thanks for the info.

1k and 5k are splash and go. I tried the 1k for a few minutes, too. Also pretty fast, but less smooth than the 2k. Finish on the one knife I used was similar to the Bester 1200 finish. Less refined than the Gesshin 2k.

Is it better to permasoak or not permasoak bester 1200? Or does it not make a difference as long a I soak it long enough if not permasoak. How many more times can I say soak? soak soak soak

I permasoak it, or if I have previously dried it out, I let it soak for a day or so before using it. I just figure I need to sharpen soon so I let it start soaking and usually get around to using it the next day. When I dry mine and bring it to work, and then soak it for only an hour before using it, it dries out real quick while sharpening. If you know you have to sharpen tomorrow, start soaking it before you go to bed and then use it the next day.

Is it better to permasoak or not permasoak bester 1200? Or does it not make a difference as long a I soak it long enough if not permasoak. How many more times can I say soak? soak soak soak

permasoaking it is a convenience issue... its not necessary though. Really, you could get away with only soaking it for about 10 minutes if you really wanted. I've found that around 30 or so works best. If it dries out too quickly, soak longer next time. Also, you can just be generous with the water you splash on it as you work.

Why would one need to dry the stone in order to transport it? Isn't that what ziplok bags are for?

I am having problems maintaining the same finish on the Kireha on several of my knives both Shapton Glass & Choseras seem to leave a more polished or brushed look rather than the sort of matt look they originally had ; I have tried using a Chosera 600 but the look is not what I want . What is the best brand of stone for this effect?
I have a Yanagi , a Deba and a couple of Takedas and I can get them very sharp with the right amount of toothy - ness .
Would King , Bester Rika or Gesshin be the best for giving this sort of smoky matt effect and what grit should it be ?
I am thinking that 1000 grit is the right grit to use.

I use a few different progressions really.

It is either:
JNS 400
400 Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
2K Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
6K Suehiro Gokumyo Debado
13K Sigma Select II

Or:
A full Shapton pro progression

Or:
Some form of Natural progression, say a Red Aoto, Hakka Renge and a Nakayama Kiita.

Or any combo that tickles my fancy.
I love honing!
Be it straights, folders or fixed blades:)

I am having problems maintaining the same finish on the Kireha on several of my knives both Shapton Glass & Choseras seem to leave a more polished or brushed look rather than the sort of matt look they originally had ; I have tried using a Chosera 600 but the look is not what I want . What is the best brand of stone for this effect?
I have a Yanagi , a Deba and a couple of Takedas and I can get them very sharp with the right amount of toothy - ness .
Would King , Bester Rika or Gesshin be the best for giving this sort of smoky matt effect and what grit should it be ?

Every sharpener has their own technique, to create a kasumi finish, while they will share general information, the specifics are usually kept confidential. Dave a vendor on this site, uses the King 800 as a starting point. Jon with Japanese Knife Imports, or Maxim with Japanese Natural Stones, will recommend stones from their line ups, and provide tips on how to achieve a kasumi finish.

Jay

Get a King 800, as Dave Martell recommends.

It will leave a matte finish on the blade road with good contrast between the hagane and jigane that is probably what you are looking for.

I hope Theory doesnt mind me posting this.

[video=youtube;jqe71SKhajI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqe71SKhajI&feature=share&list=UUY7LzKnt-Q59iQz01e10rnw[/video]

Pretty sweet little video on single bevel sharpening, touches on "kasumi" finishes. His stone progression, or softer/muddier stones in general, lend(s) well to this type of finish.

Mowgs

Ah geez I just got sucked into watching my own vid. lol I just hope the pro sharpeners, Dave Jon etc approve the techniques employed therein.

Thank you Pensacola Tiger this was one of the makes I was considering is this a stone that can be perma-soaked as well?

Sharpen a lot of Stainless for others. Thinning & minor repair Atoma plates. Use a Gesshin 1K extra large that I keep at the school for most sharpening lessons. Wearing out my smaller stones doing that 2K gesshin, 1200 Bester so now using larger stone.

My carbons mostly 2K Shapton Pro spash & go for touchups. 4K Gesshin, newspaper, leather

Single Bevels 8K Gesshin or Kitayama

Muddy stones for Kasumi mist

Latest posts

Back