What stone line up are you using these days?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 'just' one :) stone sharpening setup - Gesshin 400, 2000 and 6000. These all 3 are really nice, but the 2000 really stands out for me. The cutting speed, resistance to dishing and edge it leaves makes it one of the best stones I have ever used.

I have 'just' one :) stone sharpening setup - Gesshin 400, 2000 and 6000. These all 3 are really nice, but the 2000 really stands out for me. The cutting speed, resistance to dishing and edge it leaves makes it one of the best stones I have ever used.

I like that stone too:)

I have two set ups one natural and one synthetic

Gesshin 400

Gesshin 2k

Gesshin 4k

Binsu

Red aoto

Takashima

I use different combos for different steel. Gesshin 2k Is basically my bevel setter and starter stone.

Gesshin 4k cuts super fast and leaves a great edge.

For a toothier bite I use the red aoto

And for a superfine toothy edge takashima followed by diamond spray.

I use this setup:

Atoma 140 for flattening
Beston 500
Shapton Pro 1k
Shapton Pro 5k
Shapton Pro 8k

There is going to be a 2k-ish stone added, as the person I ordered the Shaptons from accidentally sent me the 8k instead of the 2k (they have almost the same colour).

I use this setup:

Atoma 140 for flattening
Beston 500
Shapton Pro 1k
Shapton Pro 5k
Shapton Pro 8k

There is going to be a 2k-ish stone added, as the person I ordered the Shaptons from accidentally sent me the 8k instead of the 2k (they have almost the same colour).
get the gesshin 2k, its worth it.

get the gesshin 2k, its worth it.
It does sound good because of all the reviews, but in the end the stone will cost me at least $180 (including import taxes, customs taxes, luxury duty and postage). Thats a bit too steep for me.

I might go for the JNS Matukusuyama or a Bester 2000 instead.

I see your point with all the taxes, Eric. Just want to point out that the JNS Matukusuyama is probably going to a whole different animal than Gesshin 2000. The Gesshin is on the hard side and dishes very little, while the Matukusuyama is supposed to be muddy stone to get uniform finish on wide bevel knives.

Just pointing out the obvious ...

I see your point with all the taxes, Eric. Just want to point out that the JNS Matukusuyama is probably going to a whole different animal than Gesshin 2000. The Gesshin is on the hard side and dishes very little, while the Matukusuyama is supposed to be muddy stone to get uniform finish on wide bevel knives.

Just pointing out the obvious ...
Thanks for pointing this out Matus, I haven't been researching a 2k stone intensively, with your comment I see I'd better look for something different than the Matukusuyama. I will look for other options beside the Bester 2000 before deciding what to do. The Gesshin 2000 might still be an option, but at the moment it's just to much money for a single 2k stone.

Maxim has two 3k stones. The big red one is soft and muddy, the blue/white one is harder, probably a lot harder.

Maxim has two 3k stones. The big red one is soft and muddy, the blue/white one is harder, probably a lot harder.
The blue/white one was the one I was referring to earlier. I should have clarified this in my earlier post. So that JNS Aoto might still be in the picture then. The red JNS Aoto is out of the picture.

The JNS Aoto (blue/white) is quite hard. Pretty similar (in hardness) to Gesshin 5000 IIRC.

The progression will depend on the knife and the final edge requirements but my favorite would be:
Naniwa Chosera 800
Gesshin 2000
Naniwa SS 5K
and/or
Beston 8000

Sounds interesting panda, but im not much of a pioneer when it comes to this stuff. Ill wait for a review first :)

Hi I'm new forgive me.

I am experimenting with German "sandpaper" Starcke with grits 1000, 1500, 2000, and 5000.

I have mounted then on cork floor tiles and work on a ceramic tile. Please tell me this is not the worse thing I could do.

I am experimenting with German "sandpaper" Starcke with grits 1000, 1500, 2000, and 5000.
I have mounted then on cork floor tiles and work on a ceramic tile. Please tell me this is not the worse thing I could do.
If you end up with sharp knife then why not?
Whetstones aren't the only way to sharpen knives (though… probably one of the most popular on KKF)

Yesterday I used DMT coarse, ikarashi, red aoto, and takashima up to various levels on a few knives.
It was my first time incorporating the dmt and the ikarashi into the lineup. The DMT to the ikarashi was fine on the smaller beveled knives, and put a great toothy edge on my EDC, but cleaning up the DMT scratches on wide and single bevels took a long time. I really liked the pattern and contrast on the ikarashi so I need to find a stone to go between or that leaves a less aggressive pattern than the dmt. Splash and go would be nice, I really enjoyed the no soaking aspect of yesterday. JNS 300? Gesshin 600? Chosera? Opinions welcome!

D, I'm trying a couple stones to have as a portable lineup, spash and go, shake and dry. My first S&G is a JNS 300. Damn I like it, even head to head with soakers I prefer the feel, feedback of the JNS to the to that of the Bestor 500, it's about a wash with the G400. Shows some wear but not nearly what I expected. I've a full set of DMTs from my hunting knives, have used on German stainless but can't say I enjoyed any part of it.

Yesterday I used DMT coarse, ikarashi, red aoto, and takashima up to various levels on a few knives.
It was my first time incorporating the dmt and the ikarashi into the lineup. The DMT to the ikarashi was fine on the smaller beveled knives, and put a great toothy edge on my EDC, but cleaning up the DMT scratches on wide and single bevels took a long time. I really liked the pattern and contrast on the ikarashi so I need to find a stone to go between or that leaves a less aggressive pattern than the dmt. Splash and go would be nice, I really enjoyed the no soaking aspect of yesterday. JNS 300? Gesshin 600? Chosera? Opinions welcome!
do you not already have a gesshin 400? gesshin 400 and one other "secret" low grit stone are my fave starting stones, gess 600 is really good too. chosera 400 the best feedback ever but will cut alittle slower than both gesh 400 and 600. pm me if you want to loan something.

A Beston 500 permasoaked works very well and quickly removes diamond plate scratches. I use it as progression from my Atoma 140.

dardeau - i used a gessh 600 to ikarashi for a bit, good fast stone. i've since switched to a fancy 600 that feels much nicer, but not nearly as fast and is a soaker. i only use the gessh on stainless now at work. i've tried a jns 300, it was good but didn't feel it was worth its price. chosera 400 is the best feeling low grit, but it's rather slow.

Hi i use

Shapton glass 500 (if nessecary)
Shapton pro 1000
Blue Aoto
Yaginoshima/Oohira/Hideriyama/Takashima/Shinden Sunita mid grit jnat (depending on mood/steel)
Hakka Namito/Fakeyama (japan@home)/Nakayama/Shobu as finisher (if needed/wanted)..

Greets Benjamin

I actually have the gesshin soaking now to give it a go. I know that it will work great, but it does take some time, and it dishes pretty badly. The splash and go makes it so much easier to come home and bang out a knife after work.

I actually have the gesshin soaking now to give it a go. I know that it will work great, but it does take some time, and it dishes pretty badly. The splash and go makes it so much easier to come home and bang out a knife after work.

just curious, which gesshin are you talking about? i dont really think any of the lower grit gesshin stones really dish fast. my gesh 4k dishes pretty quick, but its worth it because the edge is so awesome coming off that stone.

The 400 that I have feels like it dishes pretty quickly to me, about on par with a Beston. Maybe if I'm not using it to remove significant metal, but just to remove DMT scratches, it won't seem to dish as much.

just curious, which gesshin are you talking about? i dont really think any of the lower grit gesshin stones really dish fast. my gesh 4k dishes pretty quick, but its worth it because the edge is so awesome coming off that stone.

Gesshin 220 dishes rather quickly for example. Too quickly for my liking. It is still a good stone though.

Ok here is a question...What are some people opinions and thoughts on synthetic lower grit stones...I am a natural guy but there is not much below 1000 of my liking...so what is your favorite stone that is >1000 grit?

Back