What stones for sharpening friends and families knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've begun to sharpen friends and families knives. I dont want to use my nicer stones for this, I want to save them for my nicer knives. So I'm looking for a couple of stones for this.

When I sharpen my soft European knives I start with a Shapton glass 500 and finish on a glass or pro 2000, but i dont want to use the glass 500 on friends and families knives, doesn't seem like a good value option, dont want to wear it out quickly, and it seems like I may want a coarser stone for their duller knives.
I'm thinking of using a Shapton pro 320 and 1000 or 2000, what do you think?
Want splash and go, not expensive.

Also, one of my friends has some Shuns, will the same stones work for these?

Right off the bat without even blinking an eye,I would say you are right on point.That is exactly the way I would go.Humm,in fact,I did.

For crummy soft stainless mass-market knives I've been very happy with the Suehiro Cerax 320 stone. (YMMV. Someone here, daveb?, once compared it unfavorably with a chunk of sidewalk.) From there a Cerax 1000, or other medium grit stone, has gotten me better than expected, (given my limited skills and the limits of the knives,) results on knives like this. Best news is the relatively low cost.

i went with shapton pro 1k and 2 glued together for this. and a diamond plate. currently the atoma 400.
cant beat the pros for speed and bang/buck ratio. also splash and go and dish resistant.

I will probably be trying out missarka 800 and 3000 (jis) tomorrow. and if those are good (fast), then they will be my new beaters. fine-tools.de and dictum.de sell missarka.

Perhaps just buy a double thick or second 500?

Lets do the math, if you consume 40 or 50% of a (second) $50 stone doing this work,
its about $20 or 25 dollars of stone. THis is actually cheaper than
any other option, when those options are $35-40 anyway.

to be honest anything under 2k is not sharp imo. i would never sharpen something for someone and put an edge below 2k on it and then call it done. but thats just me.

I don't know. How many folks have actually used up a stone? I know a bunch of the pros on here have, but will you really use up your stones that fast?
Having said that a couple of Kings a really good bargain for the task.

stones under 500 or so grit wear very fast compared to 1 and 2k in my experience. the glass 500 isnt so bad but the 220ies you can literally see the stone wearing away as you use it, since they create a lot of slurry.

to be honest anything under 2k is not sharp imo. i would never sharpen something for someone and put an edge below 2k on it and then call it done. but thats just me.
I get edges off a 320 that push cut phonebook paper and easily shave arm hair. A good 1k edge will be sharper than most homecooks ever experience. It is also an edge that will last much longer than high grit edges for the homecook.

anything under lets say 1k is a saw imo. thats not how i'm operating at least.

Same here really.I have to do my neighbor's knives,family and old co-workers and I would be ashamed to give them a knife with an edge under 2k,even though they are mostly stainless knives.I think we have to agree also that the Shapton pro 2k is one of the nicest 2k's out there too.

the shapton pro is very likely the best 2k in existence imo. its just as good as the glass 2k but its 3 times as much abrasive on there.

I get edges off a 320 that push cut phonebook paper...

Your also taking out 45µ (microns) of steel vs 30µ at #500 and 10µ-ish @ 1K...
in other words you're putting 50% to 3x more wear on the knife.

IME you can strop a 1k edge to refine it reasonably
(if you are desparate for minimalist setup), but 2K
is probably the better option if its not an extravagance

I'd also like to recommend the missarka 500 and 1000 fepa F aka jis 800 and 3k. from dictum.de.

they are just as good as expensive stones at removing metal but much cheaper. 50€ for both.

if I had only these 2 stones i wouldn't exactly be unhappy. on4e coarse one fine. what more do you need??

Your also taking out 45µ (microns) of steel vs 30µ at #500 and 10µ-ish @ 1K...
in other words you're putting 50% to 3x more wear on the knife.

IME you can strop a 1k edge to refine it reasonably
(if you are desparate for minimalist setup), but 2K
is probably the better option if its not an extravagance
When I'm sharpening knives for friends and family a 320 grit stone is a godsend. These knives are usually so dull there is no stropping to bring back anything. These knives see little to no maintenance between sharpenings. There are times when a 40 micron stone is very useful or necessary.

I thought I read that shaptons tend to dish quickly as well. If you go this route you also stuck paying for a diamond plate for extra flattening. Then you are still spending more than anticipated... would just use what you have or get some Kings.

My king 1200 does not dish that fast either.

Edit: but my king 800 does dish pretty easily.

Last edited:
Seems to be a lot of knowledge about Shaptons here so rather than start a new thread...
Does any one know the difference between the Shapton Pro Series and the Shapton M5 series? The former usually come in plastic storage boxes that double as a stand.

Seems to be a lot of knowledge about Shaptons here so rather than start a new thread...
Does any one know the difference between the Shapton Pro Series and the Shapton M5 series? The former usually come in plastic storage boxes that double as a stand.

IIRC...m24 are previous generation (basically) of the pro stone forumlation by shapton, they are JDM market stones, with wood bases. m5 is a similar as the old formulation, but I think its only ~5mm thick (vs the 24mm thick of the m24). There might be some nuances but the ha no kuromaku is a JDM version of the current "Pro" stone sold in the west.

Back