What the heck is this?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🤔

Probably a KS 2924

I believe Masamoto has had san-mai KS gyutos in their catalogue for quite some time. Have a look at this thread dating back to 2014. In that regard, I dont think it is anything new or improved 😉 It is more a case of the clad KS knives being rare - they aren't talked about much. I assume the rarity is due to cost...The mono-steel KS knives are easier to mass manufacture - so they aught to be cheaper (demand forces excluded) and provide Masamoto with larger margins. In fact... I don't even know if the KS29xx series are manufactured any more??

I would certainly like to hear more. I have been interested in them for a while... Wouldnt it be interesting if the 'original' KS was the clad version and the popularity of that model lead to the the development of the easier to produce, stamped mono version?? I am not saying this is what happened but it is fascinating to me that the clad version are so rare.

I am not sure if this gives you the information you are seeking? Do you have more specific questions you are after?

Also i remember seeing sanmai KS profile gyuto from Masamoto last time (winter 2017-18 maybe?) but this doesn’t look like the same thing as that. They were on Hocho and some other Japan based retailers, I’ll look

If you stretch that gap out far enough, you can sell the knife as the next size up. Good marketing strategy

one spaghetti is properly a spaghetto

Am I the only one that uses the following method to avoid using incorrect italian plurals while not sounding like a douche?

me: ”can I have some biscotti please?”

server: “sure, how many?”

me: “oh, maybe just one actually.”

Reminds me of a Russian joke that’s a bit much to explain but I’m laughing at it. I’ve never heard a single cannolo said out loud because I’ve never known anyone to eat or buy fewer than two cannoli

they must be smaller where you are from. one typical boston cannolo puts me under the table.

they must be smaller where you are from. one typical boston cannolo puts me under the table.

My wife is going to order me some Mike's Pastries for delivery to Virginia. They were evidently able to pivot from tourist trap North End bakery to massive online enterprise pretty well. One of the true success stories of the pandemic.

🤔

Probably a KS 2924

I believe Masamoto has had san-mai KS gyutos in their catalogue for quite some time. Have a look at this thread dating back to 2014. In that regard, I dont think it is anything new or improved 😉 It is more a case of the clad KS knives being rare - they aren't talked about much. I assume the rarity is due to cost...The mono-steel KS knives are easier to mass manufacture - so they aught to be cheaper (demand forces excluded) and provide Masamoto with larger margins. In fact... I don't even know if the KS29xx series are manufactured any more??

I would certainly like to hear more. I have been interested in them for a while... Wouldnt it be interesting if the 'original' KS was the clad version and the popularity of that model lead to the the development of the easier to produce, stamped mono version?? I am not saying this is what happened but it is fascinating to me that the clad version are so rare.

I am not sure if this gives you the information you are seeking? Do you have more specific questions you are after?
Per Miura you seem correct. I emailed them asking *** that was and they said it’s not a new line but their San mai...

I hope whoever bought it will do a pass around.

I thought that machi gap was intentional as a nifty bottle opener. A Japanese Army knife so to speak.

the machi gap is used to portion single servings of spaghetti

That machi gap reminds me of this lovely quote:

Am I the only one that uses the following method to avoid using incorrect italian plurals while not sounding like a douche?

me: ”can I have some biscotti please?”

server: “sure, how many?”

me: “oh, maybe just one actually.”
When I worked in an Italian restaurant, I noticed the call was "one gnoccho" if only one portion was ordered, as opposed to a single serve of gnocchi.

That machi gap reminds me of this lovely quote:

When I worked in an Italian restaurant, I noticed the call was "one gnoccho" if only one portion was ordered, as opposed to a single serve of gnocchi.

if someone called that to me I’d give them a single gnoccho on a plate, I just remembered a place where I always insisted on referring to a single crostino when a replacement was needed and would loudly object to “one crostini”

why you ask? To be an ass for the hell of it lol

btw I don’t actually speak Italian so I may have any of these wrong, who knows

To me one of the cool things about the KS was that its mono steel. I Would very much appreciate more japanese non honyaki mono steel blades. Unfortunately they dont seem to think they are marketable 😢

English is not my native language, and I have been learning Italian for a while incidentally, but plural does seem the more logical choice to me. In English, for example, we would also be saying ‘single servings of potatoes’ I think?

Anyway, while I don’t have the KS gyuto, it does strike me how little love it gets here, but then I see this guy on instagram always praising it, saying it’s the perfect gyuto. And he does seem to have used quite a large selection of knives. What’s the deal, is the KS so popular that it’s not cool anymore to like it? Just asking, no bias.

A8B3CDB8-C761-41EE-B401-E554B9716EC1.png

Misono and Masahiro would like to have a word with you.
True ^^
The Sabun Carbon steel ones are also pretty damn good for the price imo.
But i was thinking more about knives with a decent taper and a more sophisticated grind. I would instantly buy a watanabe, heiji or yoshikane mono steel blade for example, preferably in something like Aogami Super ... 😉

English is not my native language, and I have been learning Italian for a while incidentally, but plural does seem the more logical choice to me. In English, for example, we would also be saying ‘single servings of potatoes’ I think?

Anyway, while I don’t have the KS gyuto, it does strike me how little love it gets here, but then I see this guy on instagram always praising it, saying it’s the perfect gyuto. And he does seem to have used quite a large selection of knives. What’s the deal, is the KS so popular that it’s not cool anymore to like it? Just asking, no bias.

View attachment 123154
It has a lot to do with how people raved over it for so long people got sick of it. Plus I think everyone’s distaste for Ryky Tran of Burrfection contributed.

it’s a unique knife that’s for sure, but it’s at the bottom of my Gyuto rotation. Mainly cuz I have to sharpen it after one shift

A "serving" is singular in English and Italian.

In English it is "A serving of spaghetti."

In Italian it would be "una porzione di spaghetti."

"Spaghetto" is not the Italian word for a single strand of spaghetti pasta. Eating only one is inconceivable to Italians, thus no need for a singular word.

OTOH, "un biscotto" is proper and typical usage in Italian, although what Americans call biscotti are usually called cantucci or cantuccini in Italy (with the singular being cantuccio or cantuccino).

Confused yet?

A "serving" is singular in English and Italian.

In English it is "A serving of spaghetti."

In Italian it would be "una porzione di spaghetti."

"Spaghetto" is not the Italian word for a single strand of spaghetti pasta. Eating only one is inconceivable to Italians, thus no need for a singular word.

OTOH, "un biscotto" is proper and typical usage in Italian, although what Americans call biscotti are usually called cantucci or cantuccini in Italy (with the singular being cantuccio or cantuccino).

Confused yet?

So in Italian are the words for pasta shapes like pants and scissors in English? No singular rigatono or linguina etc.?

also the KS was my least favorite of the KS shaped knives and I’ve tried many of them. Most favorite overall as a knife was the Mizuno, and in my kit the keeper was the Shibata Kashima since it’s also my favorite laser.

View attachment 123154

It really depends on your cutting style and what you cutting everyday, KS is good when comes to thin slicing/precise tip work, maby that guy does alot of tip work so KS suit him better. Other than the unique laser tip profile, there’s really not much special about KS, $500 you can buy better value knives out there, for example Konosuke Fujiyama.

Misono and Masahiro would like to have a word with you.

+Masamoto

Since we're talking about masamoto... they also have the HC, CT and VG series...

But I think @Eloh's point remains:

But i was thinking more about knives with a decent taper and a more sophisticated grind. I would instantly buy a watanabe, heiji or yoshikane mono steel blade for example, preferably in something like Aogami Super ...

The market for forged mono blades seems small? Unless you buy honyaki...

...Anyway, while I don’t have the KS gyuto, it does strike me how little love it gets here, but then I see this guy on instagram always praising it, saying it’s the perfect gyuto. And he does seem to have used quite a large selection of knives. What’s the deal, is the KS so popular that it’s not cool anymore to like it? Just asking, no bias.
The KS gained it's reputation and popularity well over a decade ago when there where far fewer Jknives to choose from. It was king for a day like the Hiromoto AS. There have been so many addition to the knife world since then the KS doesn't stand out in ways it used to. Competition knocked it off it's perch.

Back