What to buy next?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 48210

Reaction score
Hello!

New member here. I received some Christmas money that I'd like to use on a new knife, but I'm not sure what to buy next. Just a home cook who likes to collect. Looking at my set below, is there anything missing that stands out?

I've have about $150-$200 to spend. Prefer carbon over stainless. I've considered a nakiri but not sure if that would feel redundant with my CCK cleaver. Perhaps focus on more stones? Any thoughts?

Current Set:
Kramer/Zwilling 8in Carbon Chef
CCK 1302 Chinese Cleaver
Windmühlenmesser K6 9in Stainless Slicer
Windmühlenmesser K4 5in Carbon Chef
Windmühlenmesser K2 4in Carbon Petty
Windmühlenmesser 3.5in Stainless Paring
Sakai Kikumori 210mm Carbon Yo-Deba
Silverthorn 6in Carbon Boning
Gude 210mm Bread Knife

Sharpening setup:
Shapton Pro 1000
Shapton Pro 5000
King 1000/6000
Bernal Cork Strop with chromium oxide paste compound

Thanks!

Are you interested in a Japanese style gyuto? You seem to have the range of sizes, but in terms of type, the Kramer chef knife feels pretty different compared to most Japanese gyutos.

Are you interested in a Japanese style gyuto? You seem to have the range of sizes, but in terms of type, the Kramer chef knife feels pretty different compared to most Japanese gyutos.

Possibly. I have been looking at 180mm and 240mm gyutos as an option. Mostly Misono and other western style mono steel gyutos (masakane, Sakai Kikumori, etc.).

If you're considering carbon steel, don't forget the Masahiro VC. Compared to the Misono the better steel in a lot of aspects, missing the Misono's refined F&F, though.

Latest posts

Back