What to buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, thanks for all the advice, I'm probably going to go for the hiro as tj-20

For future reference, what are the hiro Damascus line like?

I'd stay away..
If you get more confident with knives and sharpening, a whole other new world opens up. If you are serious about Damascus, look at DT's or any of the forum vendors for that matter.

The 240 Carbonext was my first foray into gyutos and it is a lot of knife for the money.

For a homecook, the Hiro is just an okay knife. I once had a guy with a Hiro come by, try out a CarboNEXT and hasn't touched his Hiro since. CarboNEXT is easily a better performer than the Hattori and I am not a "VG-10 hater." The best VG-10 knife Hattori offers is the HD. The geometry on that line is far better than the FH line. The Suisin INOX is a very nice cutter with excellent fit and finish for the price. I'd also go for an Inazuma.

Just ordered the JCK Original KAGAYAKI CarboNext Series KC-7 Gyuto 270mm from JCK.

Thanks for all the advice (will be picking up a water stone soon too)

01-03-2012 17:07 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance

GAH :( I wonder how much longer they can keep my knife in customs.

It's okay though...more time to practice sharpening, as the CN edge isn't impressive out of the box at all.

01-03-2012 17:07 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance

GAH :( I wonder how much longer they can keep my knife in customs.

I hope they aren't cracking down on the cheap shipping. Has it been there long? If I have to pay customs it can be there for 4-5 days, if not it flies through

I got a knife from hong kong last week, it was opened by homeland security. The time held was nothing got is a day sooner than I was expecting.

Congrats on a great purchase dragonlord; carboNEXT is sure to impress!!! Hopefully it shows up soon for you!

(This thread is how "which Knife" posts are supposed to go; good info and questions/ good answers/ right purchase)

05-03-2012 14:46 International Hub Awaiting Customs Charging

Well it now looks like I'm going to have to pay some customs fees.

05-03-2012 14:46 International Hub Awaiting Customs Charging

Well it now looks like I'm going to have to pay some customs fees.

I hope you just got unlucky. I feel for you since everyone already told you that you won't have to pay customs, I haven't heard of anyone ever having to before

Honestly I have no clue how it works and it has seemingly been pretty random what I have had to pay. Usually it's about £20 or £30 but one time they charged me a lot more. Another thing to consider is a "handling fee" which Parcelforce usually charge which can sometimes be about £20. Perhaps other UK people can add their input, that is just my experience

Honestly I have no clue how it works and it has seemingly been pretty random what I have had to pay. Usually it's about £20 or £30 but one time they charged me a lot more. Another thing to consider is a "handling fee" which Parcelforce usually charge which can sometimes be about £20. Perhaps other UK people can add their input, that is just my experience

Sorry to hear your package has been held, I, like others, have ordered from JCK before with no issue. Steven's estimate of 20-30 quid is about right, there is a formula you/they can use but as above it just seems to be random. Doubt you'll be shafted on a single knife.

When I've ordered from JCK I've not had them stopped before, hopefully a one off. £20-£30 sounds about right, hopefully it'll clear customs soon

I've got my knife now, I'll let you know if I get an invoice for duty in a few days time.

Ususally parcel force make you go and pick it up from them and you have to pay before you get the package, so looks like you may be ok. Fingers crossed anyway

I wonder if it got held because it was a knife and they needed to check if there was anything odd with it or something like that.

Sounds to me like you won't have to pay anything, can't see why they'd give you the knife then charge you afterwards

It's okay though...more time to practice sharpening, as the CN edge isn't impressive out of the box at all.

I think you can order the ES (extra sharpening) service that puts a waterstone edge on it before it ships. Extra $15 I think.

I did order the ES package, and compared to my current knives it's super sharp :)

I think you can order the ES (extra sharpening) service that puts a waterstone edge on it before it ships. Extra $15 I think.

You can, but I haven't heard good things about it.

I ordered my carbonext gyuto with the ES option and realised what a waste of money it was when the standard factory edge on my Blazen was better.
I managed to get it much sharper myself and it was only the third knife I had sharpened at the time.

I ordered it with the ES due to the fact that it cost my entire discretionary budget for the month, so I can't afford to buy the rest of the sharpening gear until april.

Latest posts

Back