What to do when your knife chips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coxhaus

Reaction score
What do you do when your knife chips? Do you throw the food out you are cutting?

Are you watching so you know where it chipped or do you throw the whole meal out?

I have never had a knife chip on me. It sounds scary.

Larger chips I’ll fix it( never happened to me yet). Small micro chips I’ll just keep using it, happens when I accidentally hit the cutting edge on another knife’s spine. It will disappear as time goes by with regular sharpening.

I’ve only had some small microchips. If I saw a few bigger chips then I would toss out the food. That’s another good reason to wipe down your knife between ingredients.

I would not want to eat a knife chip.

Now I kind of wonder about restaurants. Will I be eating a knife chip?

I wonder if the restaurant line person would really admit to chipping a knife as restaurant management might come down hard on them for having to throw out a bunch of meat.

Last edited:
Larger chips I’ll fix it( never happened to me yet). Small micro chips I’ll just keep using it, happens when I accidentally hit the cutting edge on another knife’s spine. It will disappear as time goes by with regular sharpening.
Couldn't agree more, but never did myself. Never could wait to sharpen it out.

Microchips mostly ignored until noticed, then I'll switch knives. Big chip, find the piece of metal or toss the food if it's pieces of metal.

In my experience in commercial kitchens, you generally chip your knife on non food surfaces. If a knife was chipped in food... throw away. I'd be more worried about broken glass in a kitchen, it goes everywhere and you have to throw away everything. Non glass drinking vessels cures this problem though.

Latest posts

Back