What to do with rhubarb

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godslayer

Reaction score
So at work we have a metric ton of rhubarb popping up. Any cool recommendations? I was leaning towards fermenting it with jalapeno and stone fruit and using that to make a moustarda. But am open to other ideas. It's a fine dining joint, think ubuntu Jeremy fox with a little more emphasis on fermenting and preserving. Basically looking for cool next level stuff that I can steal.

I just got some rhubarb I'm planning on picking it with some onions and fresh chilies to serve with some pork belly. I have in the past cooked it down into sauces (pureed and strained). Rhubarb instead of tomato to make a "BBQ" sauce for smoked whole chicken legs. Also used it to make sauces for roast duck or duck breast.

stewed rhubarb crumble and custard . Takes me back to my childhood.

Also enjoyable raw along with a side of sugar for dipping.

I do, Im still thinking of things. Desserts is an easy one, no pie at Deane house, would have to do a tart or use it in a gel

In old school Danish country cooking, rhubarb was cooked down in sugar water with vanilla and served as a kind of chutney with chicken or pork.

I'm only a plebby home cook, but I did a dessert with some rhubarb my grandad grew recently. Poached it in grenadine and served it with salted granola, blackberry gel, hibiscus frozen yoghurt and a white chocolate cremeux. Was very lovely.

1sNbJob.png

I recently did a rhubarb-strawberry tart with a lemon-oat crust. Drizzled with Portuguese honey with 24k gold flakes. Topped with a foie gras gelato, finished it all with a drizzle of Compari 15 yo balsamic. Pics dont do it justice, was in too much of a rush to serve before gelato began to melt.

IMG_0730.jpg

Had a seared foie gras piece as part of the main course and used a rhubarb-onion jam to set it on with a thin grilled rhubarb slice on top. It was a bit complicated but excellent flavor, stole the recipe from here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/reci...e/14666/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cda2c513cc3e

Back