What to do with truffle oil?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
I got two small bottles of truffle oil as a present. One black one white. What can this be used for?

Anywhere you would want a truffle flavor. Taste them to make sure you like em, just like the above poster said, there’s rarely any truffle in them. Use sparingly, truffle gets up and runs away from everything else in a dish and next thing you know that’s all it tastes like.

Risotto is an easy place to start.

Use it on your bike? As previous poster said, most -if not all- truffle oil is synthetic, made from oil derivates. Unless it came from a reputable seller (Urbani and the likes) and says it's the real deal I'd not touch it as it overpowers any dish when using more than half a drop. Real truffle is hard to OD on :) I can still vividly recall buying some fresh summer (I know) truffle when we vsited Urbani in Umbria and illegally cooking a simple paste with it while staying in a 7th Cent. Monastery.

Last edited:
A catering trend last year was truffle oil flavored french fries. (Usually served to drunk people so they could tell themselves they were sober enough to drive. )

They didn't suck.

Anywhere you would want a truffle flavor. Taste them to make sure you like em, just like the above poster said, there’s rarely any truffle in them. Use sparingly, truffle gets up and runs away from everything else in a dish and next thing you know that’s all it tastes like.

Risotto is an easy place to start.

+1 Great in risotto.

Thanks all for the replies. I guess I will try a bit here and there. I just checked the Ingredients and its basically olive oil with some truffle and artificial flavours.

Pretty much the only thing I use it for is to flavor aioli. And perhaps the occasional mushroom risotto. But mixing it in with mayo and garlic (and a dash of MSG) makes a great dipping sauce for fried potato products. I always whip up a batch when I make triple cooked chips. But I do understand hatred of this ingredient. Like gasoline, the aromatics are extremely volatile and I can always smell when someone ordered truffle fries from across a restaurant. The same property makes it liable to overpower whatever dish it's used in.

I have had a bottle of truffle oil as a present to me that I have not used in 9 years. Yesterday I chucked it. Should have done it before.

who knows how they made the truffle smell, could be all chemicals

usually it IS all chemicals, you should be able to get fresh truffles even more easy than I can being much closer to the region, Umbrie is a 'mere drive' away for you. Buying directly at Urbani or from local truffle hunters makes the trip worthwhile. Some years ago we paid a whopping 25 euro per 100g for really fresh summer truffle at the Urbani shop.

usually it IS all chemicals, you should be able to get fresh truffles even more easy than I can being much closer to the region, Umbrie is a 'mere drive' away for you. Buying directly at Urbani or from local truffle hunters makes the trip worthwhile. Some years ago we paid a whopping 25 euro per 100g for really fresh summer truffle at the Urbani shop.

oh, trust me, my location is optimal for truffles. Every winter, We drive down to Alba in Piedmont to “truffle out” on white truffles for a weekend of Barolo and truffles. They kinda go well together.

It’s a 4.5 hour drive

I don’t know the area/shop referenced above though, will check it out.

Umbrie is what you'd hope Tuscany to be...less touristy and far more ancient and honest. Visit the area, buy porchetta at a local market and enjoy!

Umbrie is what you'd hope Tuscany to be...less touristy and far more ancient and honest. Visit the area, buy porchetta at a local market and enjoy!

sounds exactly my kind of place - thanks - I will plan on doing so. Love Italy, drive down to Lake Como (3 hour drive) last weekend and loved it. Umbria will be better due to lack of tourists, and more authentic nature of the villages

You might also like some montefalco di sagrantino, some lentils from Castellucio, local porchetta on a weekmarket, I can highly recommend the Abbazie San Pietro in Valle for a stayover

I love montefalco - one called pagliaro by a small producer called Paolo Bea.

will definitely take you up in the recommendations- maybe in October or April next year

Back