What to do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the factory finish is still visible on the overground sections with some errant scratches from stone mud (can't really tell due to my camera skills). Mark said to call him, so I'll do that tomorrow. Anyways, I think Dave stated the issue best - holes in the edge later on.

Did you get a resolve on this James?

hard work, ehh? That's an understatement.
Artifex_Before1.jpg
Artifex_After2.jpg

Wow.

Sorry for leaving you hanging guys. I've been a bit busy making preparations for professional school this fall. Yay for apartment hunting craziness.

The vendor stuck with his original offer (he would pay half the cost of thinning and repair) and made it very clear to me that the issues were caused by me. Apparently these are issues caused by laying the knife flat on the stone and thinning. I'm sure as hell that he did not believe this and was trying to pull a fast one on me. Why would he offer to pay half the cost of repair and thinning otherwise?

Anyways, continuing on, Shaun F offered to do the work for the amount Mark offered him and return shipping. He received the knife last week and shipped it off this weekend so I'm expecting to see it this Friday. Hopefully the issue has been corrected, but my hopes aren't high.

After this, I do fully understand why people have such strong opinions about that vendor. It's left a bad taste in my mouth and I will stick with forum approved vendors from now on. One thing of note is that Shaun F was very responsive, accommodating and willing to help and in general, I found him to be a very pleasant person; I will post pictures of his work when I receive the knife. Until then, I've got my fingers crossed.

its good to hear youve found some resolution, though it may not be quite what you wanted. so if i understand you correctly, mark payed for half the costs of fixing the blade and you paid for the other half? how much more did you have to pay?

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear. Mark paid half the normal cost of the work and I just paid for shipping. Shaun ate the rest of the cost

Pics as promised, although a bit late. IMO, the issue is much less of a problem now. Shaun definitely did a good job working on it given the severity of the issue.
IMG_1646.JPG

Here's a choil shot to show the combined thinning efforts:

IMG_1647.JPG

Back