What to expect after grapping a hot pan?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by Lars, Aug 5, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2018 #31

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

I once put my forehead on a hot oven rack while taking stuff out, not fun. Worst part is the pain you feel every time you go near a heat source. Any residual heat causes flare ups and it's pure agony.

2. Aug 15, 2018 #32

unsharp

unsharp

unsharp

I put my carbon steel pans in the oven a lot to finish meat. I've learned to leave a pot holder on the handle after taking them out. I've been burned relying on my short term memory. Habit helps with cooking, and sometimes gets in the way too.

3. Aug 16, 2018 #33

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

Yes, finally we have science now! Back in the dark ages we just put butter on everything! Which is weird because then it just cooks you more. Lol

Probably no scientists floating around your kitchen but the first time you jam your freshly 2nd degree burned hand in a bucket of ice water you learn from the experience not to do that again. Experience is the best teacher.

The whole reason this thread exists is because the question asked was "what the seasoned pros have done"

That's why I was curious if the people who were making suggestions like ice, honey and miso etc ever had their entire hand turn into a giant blister and then jammed it in ice, honey or miso.

I have suffered major kitchen burns through direct contact with ripping hot pans, grease burns, steam burns, boiling liquids, molten beef grizzle (awesome story there) and straight up fire. So the suggestions I provided are based on my real world experiences and backed by science.

PRO TIP!

The burn ward doctor did not suggest miso, honey or ice. He suggested room temperature water initially and prescribed silvadene.

ian likes this.
  4. Aug 16, 2018 #34

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

5. Aug 16, 2018 #35

marlinspike

marlinspike

marlinspike

Obviously the best thing to do is put araw egg yolk on it.

6. Aug 16, 2018 #36

Nemo

Nemo

Nemo

Staff Member Global Moderators

I would add that in some ways, experience is the hardest teacher...

It gives the exam first and the lesson afterwards.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  7. Aug 16, 2018 #37

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

ThEoRy

So what do you guys think is the worst burn, direct contact with metal, steam, grease, fire, boiling liquid? Obviously the end result is the same but for me it's gotta be the grease. That s*** spreads all over your flesh. Had an employee claim steam was the worst because it gets into everything.

That molten grizzle incident was a great learning experience for me. As a young line cook starting out at my first job with a real Chef, Bert Gill. It's a super busy holiday night and we had a giant porterhouse special with demi-glace. So I make up the sides and swing around with the plate in hand and as the steak is coming ripping hot fresh off the grill the Sous Chef Matt Jaimie kinda flings it on the plate. As this giant 3" thick steak slams on the plate the Chef gets the ladle of demi glace and is about to sauce while a large piece of molten fat bounces off the plate and lands on the soft and supple milky white part of my forearm above the wrist. I flinch as it lands and begins to melt into my flesh and human instinct tells me to let go. He looks me dead in the eye and says "Do NOT drop that steak!" as I'm holding on to this probably two pound monster while he carefully sauces, garnishes and wipes the edge. Meanwhile the covalent bond is nearing completion. My life is flashing before my eyes. I've entered the wormhole. "Alright pick up forty two!" he tells the runner. "You alright?" he asks with sincerity. "Yes Chef." I tell him. "Alright good job. Next pickup table thirty eight!" Later while closing the Chef put a couple of Sierra Nevada pale ales in the ice bin and once they were crispy cold we had a good laugh about it. That beer was especially delicious.

These are the things that mold you in this business or they break you. But that's your choice. I could be romanticizing about a third degree burn through rose colored glasses or quite possibly it's Stockholm syndrome. In any case I'm still here today burning other people's children as I was once burned myself to see if they qualify for this life.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  8. Aug 16, 2018 #38

panda

panda

panda

O.G. Supporting Member

yea any kind of super hot fat is the worst. i once dripped nearly a pint of rendered fat from a tray of roasted veal bones straight out of the oven directly onto my jacket, turned my stomach into a lava pit. water didnt do squat for that one. for me, electrical burn is the most painful. don't ask me why i know. :D

9. Aug 16, 2018 #39

dough

dough

dough

Ya grease... steam is number two

10. Aug 16, 2018 #40

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

napalm was very effective for a reason

11. Aug 16, 2018 #41

Lars

Lars

Lars

Founding Member

My burns turned out pretty mild. All healed up and ready for trouble!

Lars

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018

Draft saved Draft deleted