What tool would you use to dig out toxic lines from a jnat.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
The title pretty much says what I'm asking. If you need more info ask anything.

I would really like to find something good for precisely digging out inclusions from my aoto, and need some feedback on what to use.

small nails, the back of a steak knife that's outlived it's life, razor blades.

Ive used all 3. I like the nails the best.

Just curious, since I read it more often.

What is ment with 'toxic' in jnats?

Toxic as in, wrong gritt parts for the stone?
Or something like poisoness for food prep?

Nothing poisonous at all!

A toxic line or hole is usually filled with a harder material than the surrounding stone, or is just more apt to release larger chunks of grit, both of which could scratch soft jigane or worse the hard hagane.

Just curious, since I read it more often.

What is ment with 'toxic' in jnats?

Toxic as in, wrong gritt parts for the stone?
Or something like poisoness for food prep?
Yeah pretty much what music man said.

Inclusion could technically be toxic or non-toxic, but the term "toxic inclusion" is often used.

Toxic means poisonous.

I guess this one is used metaphorically, similar to "toxic personality" meaning a person who messes up everyone they come into contact with.

Are some inclusions OK to sharpen on? If no, then I agree just saying inclusion would make a lot more sense.

Yes, some inclusions are fine to sharpen on. Usually these harmless inclusions are softer than the stone around them and the steel you are working with, meaning they don't cause any problems.

I consider any other mineral an inclusion. Manganese lines in coticules are inclusions technically, though are completely harmless. Soft iron lines in Jnats are inclusions, but hard iron lines are toxic inclusions/toxic lines/toxicity

Toxic means poisonous.

I guess this one is used metaphorically, similar to "toxic personality" meaning a person who messes up everyone they come into contact with.

Are some inclusions OK to sharpen on? If no, then I agree just saying inclusion would make a lot more sense.

My Maruoyama for instance has a number that are fine atm:

1ABF7A0A-BB02-40C5-8BB4-56A495FF25B6 (2).jpeg

Though I find inclusions in slates usually more problematic. And often abandon stones because of them.

Yeah, my understanding of it is, an inclusion that is harder, or maybe even as hard, but in a way that causes a scratch would be considered toxic.

Thx all for the explanation.

Clear to me now it means 'toxic' in the way the stone performs on your knife 👍

For a moment i was in doubt 'could it be some minerals that are harmfull for food prep/ for humans to swallow/touch with your mouth' In a way it reacts with the knife or so..

small nails, the back of a steak knife that's outlived it's life, razor blades.

Ive used all 3. I like the nails the best.
Agree with this, others more experienced with jnats have advised me to do the same if I find any su in my suita

Yeah, my understanding of it is, an inclusion that is harder, or maybe even as hard, but in a way that causes a scratch would be considered toxic.

Interesting... in slates I often find it the other way round. And it's softer inclusions in stones that are the ones that have scratchy bits in them.

Though what I'm talking about is not quite the same as lines in a jnat tbh. More kind've when one part of the stone has an incursion of something a bit different.

"Sharpening my knife depends on the way rock formations chanced to occur millions of years ago in a faraway country. Some guys over there dig up some of the nicest rocks and slice them into rectangles, and once in a while I pay them to send me a piece in the mail."

Life is weird sometimes. :D

i'd love to suggest an anglegrinder here. but in this very case it might be overkill. 🤔

Latest posts

Back