What topics are the most controversial and polarizing on forums?

Discussion in 'The Off Topic Room' started by inferno, Apr 27, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Apr 27, 2019 #1

inferno

inferno

inferno

In your opinion?

We all know some topics gets people going more than others. But what are these topic in general?
    I guess most people frequent more forums than this, since we like forums. What topics do you remember that polarize the forums in 2 or 3 camps? I think this is interesting. I frequent a lot of forums. And they all have some topics that divide people more than others and no one is willing to budge even a single mm. ever.

I kinda like those threads because its usually about some product and then you really get to know the truth (good and bad) about it. its really good if you are considering buying one or the other thing.

I like instruments and synths and such and there can be threads hundreds of pages long on if this or that particular korg or roland synth is infact sh1t. are minimoogs actually overrated and so on... :)

2. Apr 27, 2019 #2

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

apparently climate change lol

3. Apr 27, 2019 #3

lagrangeL2

lagrangeL2

lagrangeL2

4. Apr 27, 2019 #4

valgard

valgard

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)

Katos LOL

5. Apr 27, 2019 #5

inferno

inferno

inferno

lol!

6. Apr 27, 2019 #6

Anton

Anton

Anton

Needing to be heard

7. Apr 27, 2019 #7

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

heardddddddd, corner!! hot! sharp!!

8. Apr 27, 2019 #8

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

Well, politics and religion are the big ones. Most of the forums I visit have a ban on getting into politics and religion, for good reason.

You'll see polarized arguments on gear and technique with any forum that involves it like fishing, sailing, guns, anything at all. It's human nature. I used to be on an amateur astronomy forum where we'd constantly have heated arguments about whether refractors or reflectors were the best telescope (reflectors, obviously!).
    Yeah, musical instruments are no different. I'm on a mandolin forum where you can get a dozen pages of argument on which flatpick to use. My wife plays fiddle, and there are countless arguments on her violin forums about whether Chinese or American-made fiddles are better, what bow to use, what rosin. Again, human nature. It's all part of the fun. Unless you get into religion and politics, then the gloves come off.

9. Apr 27, 2019 #9

inferno

inferno

inferno

Personally I think this forums is one of the least controversy filled ones i have ever encountered. Even though we have all different kinds of interesting things to discuss, like carbon vs SS, powder vs hss. thin/thick, japanese vs western and so on. synth or natural stones. But i guess the things we use are so cheap so each and every member can actually easily go out and buy one of each and then make make an own opinion based on use.

10. Apr 27, 2019 #10

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

Good point, Inferno. Kitchen knives are my least expensive hobby. Very easy to experiment with different knives and develop an informed opinion, compared to buying a bunch of high end guitars. Or multiple sailboats.

11. Apr 27, 2019 #11

inferno

inferno

inferno

religion and politics seems to be banned almost everywhere except on some forums where they have different forums for politics and religion only. hahahaha. i remember one forum where they had a subforum named political and war. and its was basically a political war there. lol.

coma, SA, CA!!! lol. should the mirrors be spherical or parabolic :) achromat or apochromat :)

newtonian, gregorian or dobsonian? or hey why not a catadioptric?

12. Apr 27, 2019 #12

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

I also follow a few instrument forums, electric guitars/pedals/amps. There are countless issues there that seem to get people wound up. Printed circuit boards vs hand wired, true bypass vs buffered, analog vs digital, passive vs active, urethane vs nitro finish, USA vs UK vs Mexico vs China vs Japan vs Korea vs Indonesia, etc, etc. Lots of strong opinions out there. It’s great to be passionate about things but sometimes it sure makes it hard to get any useful info when things fall apart after 1 page

13. Apr 27, 2019 #13

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

Well since you asked... ;)

I did that amateur observing stuff in an almost ideal place for it: South Florida, where we'd go out to the middle of the Everglades between Miami and Naples. Super dark skies and a steady inversion layer with good seeing (steady air, for non-astronomy nerds). I had an 18" Dobsonian on a tracking table, then upgraded to a 22" Dob with alt-az tracking. That's a parabolic mirror 22" wide for sucking down photons. Galaxy hunting was a blast with that gear. Refractors couldn't touch it. Catadioptrics don't get that big either (for us amateurs, anyway). We could see stuff like the dark lane in the Sombrero Galaxy, and remote Abell clusters. Cool mind-expansion stuff.

Then we moved to the friggin' Pacific Northwest USA, where we're not just under cloudy skies half the year, but the damn Jet Stream vibrates the air overhead. I sold off the big stuff, still have apochromatic 4" binoculars on a mount that I'll probably sell soon. Sometimes, a hobby can't keep up with life changes. But I've still got my knives, a cooking hobby, and a few musical instruments to have fun with.

14. Apr 27, 2019 #14

inferno

inferno

inferno

my oh my.

Usually its through hole vs SMT/SMD where i roam.
    analog vs digital is also a classic. Best part is when someone has to resample a signal 20 times trough dacs to hear any difference at all between 200 and 2000$ dacs. :)

digital vs analog in the actual sound generating domain (talking synths) is usually a non issue though, almost all people can hear this difference if they have even a quite low end sound system.

15. Apr 27, 2019 #15

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

my $1000 dac sounds better than any $200 or $2000 dac. :)

16. Apr 27, 2019 #16

inferno

inferno

inferno

THAT sounds fvcking awesome! actually seeing stuff in ANOTHER god damn GALAXY! Should i repeat these 2 words??

Well my own optics hobby is pretty much that i have 2 dslrs, now recently a d750 (full frame) with a 35mm tamron 3ev stabilized fixed 1,8 on it. I can basically shoot crystal clear and sharp pics in complete darkness with it.

I bought 2, 5 inch blanks made out of quartz a few years ago that I'm planning to grind into spherical mirrors. I think mine came from laboratory furnaces. One is supposedly transparent in the UV range and one in the IR (i dont know if thats even physically possible for this type of material though). But thats what they said.

For me I think it would be worth more to get a 5 incher going that to see what the hubble can capture. Because i built it.

17. Apr 27, 2019 #17

inferno

inferno

inferno

I cant really hear a difference between by built in on my mainboards, my pci, pci-e and my usb ones. sure these are all under 300 bux, I have native instruments and ESI Julia for instance. Hear little is any difference between those and the mainboards sound chip. go figure.

Heck i cant tell the difference between a 320mp3 and a wav. and neither can like 99% of all people and then I'm actually trying to.
    192 is even borderline. with some material its quite easy if you know what to listen for. But I can say one or the other "sounds better". nope.

18. Apr 27, 2019 #18

panda

panda

panda

O.G.

be glad that you cant, save you money.

19. Apr 27, 2019 #19

inferno

inferno

inferno

I know. I actually did hear a difference when i upgraded to a better mixer (behringer to numark alesis dj mixer, very very big difference) and also from alesis (10 year old) to mackie vlz4 (new) not a big step up though but a step up.. it wasn't like night and day but I could hear it very clear.

I'm on good econo-monitors (jbl 305s, but before that i was on one off prototypes that was kick ass but i played to tweeters to bits in 10 years, we built these at the best lab in this country with the best people in the biz here) and hd25 and hd650 now. the hd650 are scarily realistic. I have had these for 15 years now i think.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  20. Apr 27, 2019 #20

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

UV and IR transparency is kinda irrelevant if you're grinding them for mirrors since they'll be coated with a reflecting material. The very cool thing about quartz for mirrors is that they're far more dimensionally stable than typical Pyrex glass mirrors. You don't have to wait as long for them to cool down and stabilize at night.

I have friends who made their own mirrors for smaller telescopes, and it's a very rewarding experience to make something like that yourself. Tons of information on how to do it online. Go for it!

21. Apr 27, 2019 #21

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

Yeah I can definitely hear the difference in a lot of things, though some of it is in people’s heads I think. It’s hard to beat an actual tube amp though. Solid state just isn’t the same to my ears.

Country of origin when it comes to guitars and gear is less clear. It’s a complicated topic but generally more expensive stuff with better quality materials sounds better in my experience and that stuff tends to be made in more developed countries. Worth it? I don’t know. Some people like $200 knives, some like $2000 knives, some people just like to argue.

22. Apr 27, 2019 #22

Marek07

Marek07

Marek07

I have a D750 too. Much as I like it, you cannot take photos in complete darkness. Ultra low-light... sure! But no light, no photos - regardless of camera. :rolleyes:

23. Apr 27, 2019 #23

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Straws

24. Apr 27, 2019 #24

inferno

inferno

inferno

Nice to see you here marek!

of course. no photons no bueno.

I was in berlin this summer and i could snap pics in the dark like nothing. in the middle of night. I had a d40x before and it would go up to 1600 or 3200 on hi, but it was noisy as hell. but this one looks good on 3200. I have never needed to go to 3200 though. since the lens saves me. 3ev. I'll see if I can find find some crap that were taken the middle of the night.

in this pic i shot into a park that was completely dark. you could not even see 2 meter in front of you. You could see nothing. so this pic is fake its much much lighter than what it really was.
    complete darkness.JPG

the d750 does well after sunset too i think. it was a lot darker there. But now it looks like daylight.

berlin2.JPG

this was taken i daylight. trying to maximize the building.

berlin1.JPG

25. Apr 27, 2019 #25

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

What do you use?

26. Apr 27, 2019 #26

ian

ian

ian

The oxford comma.

27. Apr 27, 2019 #27