What was your first Japanese knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Global (thanks Anthony Bourdain) and Shun. Not sure which was first. Probably Global.

I know Globals generally aren't fancied much and often derided on this forum.

That said, I've always wanted to try out a Global in the kitchen! I've never used or held a Global, and do consider it to be an iconic design—maybe 'cause I dig Bourdain too. Despite their naysayers, Globals are arguably one of the most popular knives on the market, perhaps partly responsible for kickstarting a passion for kitchen knife in many chefs—there're more Global chef tattoos on cooks' forearms than Katos, Shigs or Raquins collectively.

And, no, won't be trading any of my knives for a Global, but do want to try one.

Sugimoto CM4030. It was my first upgrade from my Dexter stainless cleaver. Still stainless, but so superior that my mind was boggled.

For things that are not Chinese cleavers, it was a sort of single-bevel Nakiri-shaped thing, of unknown provenance, almost certainly purchased from woodworking sources, and almost certainly of blue steel. Never did find a use for it, but I still have it around.

Globals are very serviceable, useful, often well-shaped knives, at a fair price. I have several. I like them plenty, except when it's time to sharpen them.

Kanehiro AS stainless clad 240mm gyuto. What a great knife that was. Used for a few years when I was a line cook and was such a huge upgrade for me.

The knife was retired, refinished, and then gifted to my best friend, who will be my best man at my wedding. The knife always had a slight lefty grind, and he's a southpaw, so it seemed appropriate.

While I miss the knife, he loves it and uses it everyday. I'm so happy that it got a second life and is used once again with love and care.

Man, all my life I had Chicago Cutlery, and I could sharpen them up super fine, trouble was, you had to lose too much steel when doing so and had to do so too often.
Now I don't remember how, but I found Shun, a major step up, seriously a major step up .
So I got a few Shun's and was happy for a few years, when my wonderful wife asked If I would like another for Christmas. For some reason, I googled best Japanese knives, and found this forum, filled out the form, and with the forums guidance, bought a Kochi 240 from Jon, who was most helpful.
Well the more I read, and became addicted to this site, the more I wished to continue my search for "My" perfect knife. Still searching :p
Sorry, answer is Shun.

felt like jumping the queue of bang for buck knives.
When you know what you want, and you know why, and you have the money, it would almost be silly to not go ahead with it.

P.S. I just now noticed how potentially interesting your screen name might or might not be intended to be. Pretty cool, I think, if it was all meant both forwards and backwards. 👍

Last edited:
I have a Shun classic as well, but I would have to say my first true hand forged knife is my Tananka 270mm Ironwood Gyuto. It was forged by Papa Tanaka and has already brought me many years of joy.

First one was a Kai Wasabi. Impossible to sharpen. Huge, clumped carbides. Next a Global G-2. At least a decent profile. Then discovered carbons: Herder’s Lignum 3 and Hiromoto AS.

When you know what you want, and you know why, and you have the money, it would almost be silly to not go ahead with it.

P.S. I just now noticed how potentially interesting your screen name might or might not be intended to be. Pretty cool, I think, if it was all meant both forwards and backwards. 👍

Screen name is just a minor alteration of 'Ditmas Park,' a neighborhood in Brooklyn's Flatbush area.

Even if one doesn't know what they want, and have the funds—it's pretty cool to just commit, and buy whatever, trusting the collector's instinct! My first wa handle knives were Kono Fujiyama and Kato—I knew very little about the makers, had never touched a wa handle before buying those, had never had and white or blue steel knives. No regrets. It's akin to buying a great, dry-aged porterhouse for a first steak.

1st knife purchase: Tojiro DP stainless 240 mm gyuto. Think I bought it back in 2012.

Its my beater/loaner now.

Attachments

• 20210125_122316.jpg
    20210125_122316.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 16
Takamura R2 back when I was in culinary school , sold to a friend now.

I honestly can't remember which was first, but I do remember taking this picture and thinking "...I have a problem." Only two of these are still around.

View attachment 111516
Nice Sab! I've a soft spot for Sabs.
I've never used a Victorinox chef's knife, the newer ones look quite smart IMO!
vt6-9016-202b$01-victorinox.jpg

Mine was this kiritsuke. It was given to me by my father and I don’t know a ton about it other than I didn’t really know what I was doing (still don’t with single bevels) and it’s seen some abuse in its life. It’s the only thing in my roll I’d never, ever sell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Back