What would a perfect set of Denka look like?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchan001

Reaction score
So many TF fans here only discussing about the perfect Denka. What about a perfect set of Denka. Anyone try to collect such a set? What would you look for in assembling such a set?

Everyone on the forum says even finding one perfect Denka is so difficult, collecting a "Cooking Set for Men" set should be impossible right?

Actually it's easy...

1. Write a Mail an make an appointment
2. Fly to Tokyo
3. Meet up at his store and tell him oder his apprentice what kind of knife(s) you want at let him show you all the blades he got
4. Neglect the blades with significant flaws you can't easily repair (S-curved blade, super fat grind, delaminations etc.)
5. Select the one best out of 10-x?
6. Let someone else do a decent Wa-handle or install one yourself ;)

Worked for me two times :)

2018: 270 Denka Gyuto without Machi with a sort of workhorse grind... one of my favorite "big" allrounders in my set
2015: 210 Denka Gyuto with Machi and original Ebony handle with a really thin grind... some say the best cutting J-knife they have tested so far...

35358033ex.jpg

(picture was taken when the 270 was new...)

Also... if you buy enough knives, the money you safe comparing to dealer prices maybe justify the ticket :D

Next time, I'm gonna buy a 150 Denka Deba (the Denka single bevel knives are really stunning IMHO) and a 300 Suji...

Iggy

Sure there's no machi? Can we get a choil shot of both? My 210 Yo Denka with custom TF IV grind is easily my best cutter

nice, what's the other handle?

Xerxes Walnut, transparent horn spacer, black horn ferrule

Sure there's no machi? Can we get a choil shot of both? My 210 Yo Denka with custom TF IV grind is easily my best cutter

here are some comparatative pictures. And yes, I am sure that the big one has no machi. TF offers both.

35358034ij.jpg

35358035ai.jpg

35358036by.jpg

Of course, choil shots never tell the whole story... especially when they are not spot on as this one :D

Both two of my favorite knives ever.

Iggy

I think its got a machi but no machi gap. The tang would be a lot thinner without the machi. Personally I prefer the look and feel in hand of the 270 style.
Beautiful knives. Just goes to show what can be achieved with a little knowledge and an eye for a nice piece of wood.

So many TF fans here only discussing about the perfect Denka. What about a perfect set of Denka. Anyone try to collect such a set? What would you look for in assembling such a set?

"What would a perfect set of Denka look like?" It would look like Ricky's face.

Actually it's easy...

1. Write a Mail an make an appointment
2. Fly to Tokyo
3. Meet up at his store and tell him oder his apprentice what kind of knife(s) you want at let him show you all the blades he got
4. Neglect the blades with significant flaws you can't easily repair (S-curved blade, super fat grind, delaminations etc.)
5. Select the one best out of 10-x?
6. Let someone else do a decent Wa-handle or install one yourself ;)

Worked for me two times :)

2018: 270 Denka Gyuto without Machi with a sort of workhorse grind... one of my favorite "big" allrounders in my set
2015: 210 Denka Gyuto with Machi and original Ebony handle with a really thin grind... some say the best cutting J-knife they have tested so far...

35358033ex.jpg

(picture was taken when the 270 was new...)

Also... if you buy enough knives, the money you safe comparing to dealer prices maybe justify the ticket :D

Next time, I'm gonna buy a 150 Denka Deba (the Denka single bevel knives are really stunning IMHO) and a 300 Suji...

Iggy
OR, you can purchase their 150th Anniversary knives. All personally forged and polished personally by TF himself!

They all come with better than Ashi, Genkai or Shig Kitaeji level of finish.

Latest posts

Back