What Would You Do?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Just for the sake of discussion.

I received this bar of damascus from Devin. (Thanks again Devin!) It measures 20 inches by 39mm. I have made my plans but what would YOU do and WHO would do it? Money is no object.

dtbar.jpg

2 x suji or 1 x suji + 1 x petty if you wanna make knives :)

2012 is the year of the suji you know :)

14" scimitar with matching 6" boning knife!!!

Or, if you think 39mm is not wide enough for a scimitar, how about something really unique like a 14" ham/salmon slicer (never seen that done in a full custom) and a 6" utility/picnic knife in the French peasant style .

For a scimitar you need more height, as the blade curves up. 39mm is not tall enough.

I try to avoid waste as much as possible (Devin's steel is just to pretty to waste), so if I had 20" bar, I would make two knives out of it. Laying them out so tangs overlap, you have about 15.5-16" of steel for blades. That would enough for a suji and a petty, a suji and a boning knife, two mid-size sujis and so forth.

If tangs are welded, you have about 18" of steel to work with.

M

Suji for sure(270mm or so) and the remaing bar would make a petty in whatever length i would be able to squeeze in.

Form it in a bracelet for my wife and a suji for me.

Great looking bar.

That pattern, to me, would look best on a blade as wide as you can keep it. I'd lean towards a suji, or maybe a longish petty (210?), and with the rest maybe have a neck knife or fixed blade hunting knife made. Cost-is-no-object would steer me to the guy who made the damascus in the first place. But I would also give strong consideration to Pierre Rodrigue, as he has made many examples of those types of knives. And if you want knives with a little more flair, I would consider HHH.

There are so many talented makers on the Board now it's tough to choose!

...I try to avoid waste as much as possible (Devin's steel is just to pretty to waste), so if I had 20" bar, I would make two knives out of it. Laying them out so tangs overlap, you have about 15.5-16" of steel for blades. That would enough for a suji and a petty, a suji and a boning knife, two mid-size sujis and so forth.

If tangs are welded, you have about 18" of steel to work with.

M
+1 Although I'd consider a shorter gyuto/suji hybrid deal, if it fits. To me, the WHO part of it is a no brainer. You're going to want Devin's HT. I don't think his grind is bad, either. On the handles, I also like Devin's elegant and clean-looking wa-handles. For western, I'd go with Rader maybe, if he'd do it, or possibly HHH, as long as you don't plan on storing it in a knife block.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 Although I'd consider a shorter gyuto/suji hybrid deal, if it fits. To me, the WHO part of it is a no brainer. You're going to want Devin's HT. I don't think his grind is bad, either. On the handles, I also like Devin's elegant and clean-looking wa-handles. For western, I'd go with Rader maybe, if he'd do it, or possibly HHH, as long as you don't plan on storing it in a knife block.
Racial or offensive terminology? Thanks, Johnny... NICE. Anyway, I'm amending my response. I'd grind a knife or two out of it myself and if I screwed up, I'd ask Hoss nicely to save my a$$. :)

Suji and a petty. If there's any left over then maybe a straight razor.

Racial or offensive terminology? Thanks, Johnny... NICE. Anyway, I'm amending my response. I'd grind a knife or two out of it myself and if I screwed up, I'd ask Hoss nicely to save my a$$. :)

The bar better be pretty thick :D
I'd get a long suji and hopefully a petty out of it. Having Hoss make it seems appropriate.

Suji and break levers for the Harley.

I have been dreaming of Dammy Harley parts for a while.I could see a HUGE market for it,way cooler then chrome.I would say you can do a suji or try your hand at some jewelry.

Scott,

If you don't mind my asking, what exactly are your plans for this piece?

Regards,
Rick

Back