Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was offered my first real job, the only job I've applied for. I sent out one application, passed all the pre-qualification tests, was telephone-interviewed for 40 minutes, then was interviewed in person for 2½ hours, and now they want to hire me, starting right after I hand in my master's thesis next month.

I wanted to celebrate a little, so I made a 650g sous vide porterhouse (or is it a t-bone? Not sure). This is the Finnish 30 day dry-aged, partially grass fed, partially free range, partially wagyu frankenstein beef. I got an amazing deal on a few of these steaks. Usually they sell for around 750DKK per kilo, but these were marked down (or mislabeled) to 139DKK per steak (650g each), which is insanely cheap for this quality of meat. I asked the butcher why they were marked down so low, and his response was "I don't know, it wasn't me that marked them down". I bought all they had.
Sous vide at 57c for an hour, then finished on a very hot grill for a minute each side. Served with a Westvleteren XII that I had been storing for a couple of years.

329ff3f3fda479bffd96.png

0600b34dc3690cdd7744.png

98d246d306bc5f367874.png

Yesterday I was offered my first real job, the only job I've applied for. I sent out one application, passed all the pre-qualification tests, was telephone-interviewed for 40 minutes, then was interviewed in person for 2½ hours, and now they want to hire me, starting right after I hand in my master's thesis next month.
Congratulations! That steak and beer look great, and are well deserved! :)

What field is the job in?

Its pretty simple, fattier minced pork with rice wine, mince ginger, mince garlic, soya sauce, white pepper, sugar, add loads of chinese chives atleast a 1:1 ratio.
Just gave these a try. I couldn't find Chinese chives, but I have a whole bunch of chives growing in the garden, so I used those instead. I also added some left-over Bok Choy. The recipe I followed is here:

As usual, the video suggests a much shorter preparation time than is actually the case. Folding those little buggers takes a bit of patience. I imagine that, after the first few hundred or so, I'll get quicker :)
IMG_2796.JPG

Will join the club and say congrats to DamageInc on the master's thesis and new job!

..food is looking nice too..

Lars

Cheers guys, I'm really happy I was able to land it first try, I've been told it's a rare feat. Finishing the steak last night first try was almost as much of an accomplishment.
Master's thesis isn't done yet though. Hand-in is on the 15th of May, so I gotta have all 120 pages done, plus around 300 pages appendix and bibliography. It will be a printing nightmare.

Testing different easy summer deck snacks today
IMG_5793.jpg

Anyone have a trick for keeping brown rice pasta soft after cooling/refrigerating? Pasta salad was perfect when first made, turned rock hard in frodge overnite, did not soften up once it came up to room temp.

Just gave these a try. I couldn't find Chinese chives, but I have a whole bunch of chives growing in the garden, so I used those instead. I also added some left-over Bok Choy. The recipe I followed is here:

As usual, the video suggests a much shorter preparation time than is actually the case. Folding those little buggers takes a bit of patience. I imagine that, after the first few hundred or so, I'll get quicker :)
View attachment 52374

Those look tasty!

Yesterday I was offered my first real job, the only job I've applied for.)

This is the Finnish 30 day dry-aged, partially grass fed, partially free range, partially wagyu frankenstein beef. I got an amazing deal on a few of these steaks.
329ff3f3fda479bffd96.png

Congrats on the job and the steaks, I’d love to find beef like that here. Sometimes I can get decent stuff but it’s hit/miss… kinda want to talk with some chefs to go in on a commercial order and have better options

F288A4B6-43FF-4BBD-A711-49AB769DC345.jpg

Folding those little buggers takes a bit of patience. I imagine that, after the first few hundred or so, I'll get quicker :)

Damn Michi!

Want a challenge? I wonder if you could do a Xiaolongbao at home... thats my crack man...

now they want to hire me, starting right after I hand in my master's thesis next month.

Good for you! Don't know why I have a tendency to age profile people but you must be younger than I imagined. Congratulations on the job, the thesis and that delicious looking steak!

OK, so it's basically steamed dumplings filled with pork and soup. Cool technique for making them!

Challenge accepted, I'll try this :) Will be a few days though…

Testing different easy summer deck snacks today
Beautiful platter!

Have you tried cooking the pasta a bit longer when it's intended for salads? Rather than stopping at al dente, I tend to cook it until it is soft, then rinse with cold water in a colander to stop it from over-cooking. The higher moisture content helps to keep the pasta a bit softer if they go into the fridge for a while. Store in something air-tight, to stop the circulating air in the fridge from drying out the pasta.

OK, so it's basically steamed dumplings filled with pork and soup. Cool technique for making them!

Challenge accepted, I'll try this :) Will be a few days though…

I am already envious. Really delicious stuff. Dumplings at a restaurant are such a great social food

Pad Thai with crispy tofu.

pad.jpg

First time making this. Some new ingredients I haven't used before. Never realized what was in it until now :D. And the KF FM needed some love since I've been using the Isasmedjan lately.

pad2.jpg

This looks very nice! (The food and the knife ;) )

Pad Thai is my #1 Asian comfort food. It's sort of the Asian equivalent of macaroni and cheese. I haven't made it for about a year or so. Time to resurrect it, methinks…

I'm not a fan of tofu, in general. Too bland and essentially texture-free. But firm tofu, fried, with a nice crust, is the one way to turn it into something acceptable, in my opinion. Small fried cubes of tofu with a crisp crust added to stir fries really work. All texture, and no taste. But they do add something extra, similar to the peanuts on top of Pad Thai.

This looks very nice! (The food and the knife ;) )

Pad Thai is my #1 Asian comfort food. It's sort of the Asian equivalent of macaroni and cheese. I haven't made it for about a year or so. Time to resurrect it, methinks…

I'm not a fan of tofu, in general. Too bland and essentially texture-free. But firm tofu, fried, with a nice crust, is the one way to turn it into something acceptable, in my opinion. Small fried cubes of tofu with a crisp crust added to stir fries really work. All texture, and no taste. But they do add something extra, similar to the peanuts on top of Pad Thai.

Yeap, this was firm tofu, crisped up nice. As soon as it came out of the wok, hit it with salt and chili powder - so I had salty spicy crispy nuggets in the Pad Thai when I returned it at the end :).

Nice one @JustinP! Looks really nice.

Pad see ew is my favourite Thai noodle dish. In the winter Khao soi is great (sometimes on the menu as Chiang Mai). It is an easy meal to prepare at home. This is the last one I made:

ks.jpg

Back