Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cucumbers.
You want Farmers Market Kirby cucumbers if possible. I have had mixed results with store bought Kirby's. Maybe that they are not fresh enough but I suspect it may be the food-grade wax that they are covered with. I have not had a failure with Farm Fresh cucumbers. The basics of salt cleanliness and pH are all the same the difference comes in with preparation as the blossom end of the Cucumber contains an enzyme that causes them to go soft. No one likes a soft cucumber. I take off both the blossom end and the stem end.
There also needs to be a source of tannic acid or they will be soft not crunchy. I use horseradish leaves
Grape and oak leaves will work but i have not tried that. I will experiment with tannic acid from wine supply stuff on Amazon at some point.
I put a layer of cut leaves between each layer of cucumbers.
Spice is your preference.. Pickling spice or corned beef spice work.
I use garlic dill hot mustard seeds a bit of pickling spice and whole peppercorns and bay leaves which also add tannic acid. The pickled peppercorns are good, too.
The books by Sandor Katz are the a great place to start.

90 degrees out. Time to braise some f’in shortribs!
2816FB55-5850-468C-BC9E-FB9D7454D869.jpeg
67413728-D034-4A8E-A531-4FB336CB9581.jpeg
977BBD05-27BA-445D-88E5-F4B25425DD3B.jpeg

View attachment 59761 this will be a 3 part series. Garden veg, cucumbers, sauerkraut.
Carrots cauliflower radishes beets.
Lacto fermentation is anaerobic i.e. no oxygen. There are many different options on Amazon for air locks pictured is the pickle pebble system.
You can actually just leave the lid on loosely but....
Cleanliness is crucial equipment and veg. Less important with those that grow above ground. Root veg need to be washed and peeled. If i get dirty supermarket beets i soak in 5% citric acid for 10 minutes not necessary (see nerd comment below)
Cut veg add to jar add the spices you want or not. Salt! I make sea water 35 gms sea salt to liter of water. Cover with water and shake tap to dislodge air bubbles. Veg must be submerged. Pics of air locks soon.,
Process ... place where temp is between 68 and 72. Colder ferments too slow and higher works but the nuanced flavors from the sequential bacteria wont be there.
Starter is available on amazon it is not necessary the bacteria already exist in the veg. Save some liquid from your first to use as starter. In less than a day bubbles will form as time passes liquid will get cloudy and bacteria will settle to the bottom. I ferment until the bubbles stop.,ignore you tube "after x days" that's bs and dangerous. Safety.... The salt inhibits pathogens at the start and the lactic acid preserves .
You are looking for a Ph of. 3.5 or less to be safe.
I am a nerd so i have Ph meter 2.9 to 3.1 is ideal. I have a salinometer and a centrifuge as well.
I don't want to poison my friends so i check Ph.
You will be safe if you wait til the bubbles stop. Do not seal ball jar tight as there is? The chance of explosion. If you are doing all beets place jar in dish tub. Sugar level is high so it ferments fast. I came out to the kitchen to find i had an overnight beet juice eruption. What a mess.[/QUOTE

Many thanks. Started working on it based on your instructions, so clear and detailed.

3kg entrecote cooked in indirect heat in my weber kettle grill. Pulled it off the grill at 48c (118f) and wrapped in foil for about 10 minutes, then put it on the cutting board and sliced it up.

Not sure if USA people know what "entrecote" is, but it is a European-style beef cut that is like half sirloin and half ribeye.

e1.jpg
e2.jpg
e3.jpg

My two boys like Macarons, but I got tired of forking over $3 a cookie, so I decided to try to make my own. The first batch was a disaster (over mixed), but the second batch came out great.. Color was chosen by my 7 year old, hence the snot green color. Cookies were standard flavor (almond), filing was a mix of cream cheese and home made strawberry jam.

cj3ERuu.jpg
4TCUfVC.jpg
ap9Bg1j.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. Going to pick up some food color gel and some flavor essences for the next time I make it. Needed proof of process before sinking funds into supplies.

Agreed. Going to pick up some food color gel and some flavor essences for the next time I make it. Needed proof of process before sinking funds into supplies.

Order some passion fruit extract, add one drop of red food coloring into the batter, you'll blow their mind. Keep the filling to a marscapone or cream cheese/powdered sugar mix for the contrast.

The extract is pretty cheap on Amazon. I've had my bottle for 5 years. Creme brule goes to a whole 'nother level this way too.

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Fruit-Extract-Natural-Flavor/dp/B006429JM8

I’m overwhelmed with fresh garden tomatoes. All types. Needed to burn thru yesterday’s pile before I go and pick tomorrow’s pile. You get the point.

Enter a Shakshuka! So delicious. A deep sweet tomato braise with eggs cracked in a simmered to a perfect poach. Pair with good bread and wow!

Attachments

• 23E16D93-6439-4AB0-9071-015BB9F304E9.jpeg
    23E16D93-6439-4AB0-9071-015BB9F304E9.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 1BEEAB2B-706A-43D2-9879-386013A6DD75.jpeg
    1BEEAB2B-706A-43D2-9879-386013A6DD75.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Back