Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oxtail Ragu Cavatelli
DSC_3675.jpeg

I haven't made oxtail soup in ages. Getting a bit too warm for it now, need to wait until winter :(

Awesome, thanks! Now find me fresh yuzu and wasabi root that isn't priced like drugs, haha!
I can get bottled yuzu
0925191113.jpg
last time i bought fresh wasabi it was $100/lb at mitsuwa just across the river from NYC. there was a place in the Pacific NW growing wasabi in greenhouses. I got some plants but summer is too hot and winter too cold

Getting down to the Half Moon Bay/Santa Cruz area to hit one of these wasabi spots has been on my radar for a few years. When I read up on it a few years ago, it seemed like the farms don't like to advertise their exact location, due to concerns of theft, since real wasabi is so expensive. But I figured it would be at a few local farmstands/markets with enough hunting.

I hate all forms of seafood, but I'd still like to try it.

Oxtail soup.
You just had to, didn't you? ;)

Actually, mine looks quite different. Opaque, thickish soup, more like the base of a goulash, prepared with tomato paste (among lots of other things).

I wasn't even aware that there is a clear version. I'm guessing that it is a bit like Vietnamese Phở?

You just had to, didn't you? ;)

Actually, mine looks quite different. Opaque, thickish soup, more like the base of a goulash, prepared with tomato paste (among lots of other things).

I wasn't even aware that there is a clear version. I'm guessing that it is a bit like Vietnamese Phở?

Inspired by Hawaiian oxtail soup, with a nod to pho. Skimmed often, stock strained to remove particles.

Back