Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m no pro but have often cooked for larger groups. I would use a reverse sear. I would cook the whole trimmed tenderloin to 90F internal, portion and reverse sear on a very hot flat top for 90-120 seconds each side. Everything will move very fast so it would be nice to have help on the flat top.

Thanks alll for your advice.
Beef, creamed spinach and mushrooms sauteed in bone marrow
1209191904.jpg

Made 2 interesting things this week

1. Stock, from rabbit and shrimp shells with onions, carrots, bay leaf, peppercorns, dried rosemary and thyme.. Will be for paella.

2. Roasted salmon. Very thick fillet. White pepper, dill, granulated garlic and true lemon covered (mixed) with thin layer of mayo. Roasted at 400f. Doesn't taste like mayo and remains moist, lemony, dilly, just great!
1.jpg

1.jpeg

Some made from scratch Ramen, I've got the noodles and egg to an adequate level but I continue to struggle with the broth. Actually that's being unfair, the egg has reached god-tier (sous vide for jelly consistency, then marinated with sake, mirin, soy, sugar and salt for 8 hours). This particular attempt used a chicken base from a whole carcass but lacked something. In the past I've tried pork trotter bases but again they were missing something. Ramen is a dish that is relatively cheap to buy but just an insane amount of effort to reproduce at home. Maybe that's why this has been a 3 year battle that I refuse to give up on.

57sAt7I.jpg

Ramen is a dish that is relatively cheap to buy but just an insane amount of effort to reproduce at home. Maybe that's why this has been a 3 year battle that I refuse to give up on.
I enjoy doing stuff like that, too. It's not as if I couldn't afford to go to a restaurant and just buy the food. And, in many cases, they will probably do it better than I could. But the fun is in the challenge and the sense of achievement :)

And there are quite a lot of things where my cooking leaves anything from all but the most expensive commercial kitchens for dead. In that case, the effort truly is worth it. Homemade sausages come to mind. Simply unobtainable at the same level of quality.

Last edited:
Actually that's being unfair, the egg has reached god-tier (sous vide for jelly consistency, then marinated with sake, mirin, soy, sugar and salt for 8 hours).

If you don't mind me asking, what time/temp are you running your SV on for the eggs? For some reason I have trouble nailing that one. And are you using aged eggs/certain prep? Thanks. Your ramen looks great btw.

If you don't mind me asking, what time/temp are you running your SV on for the eggs? For some reason I have trouble nailing that one. And are you using aged eggs/certain prep? Thanks. Your ramen looks great btw.

I normally sous vide for 60 minutes at 66 degrees Celsius, and then pop them into a boiling pot for 15 seconds or so at the end to firm up the exterior enough so that they can be peeled. Super fresh eggs are easier to peel (my success rate is only 2 out of 3 eggs) and starting the egg at cooking temp helps too. No other tricks other than the marinade. This recipe also works really well and the cooking part is a lot faster https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes...apanese-marinated-soft-boiled-egg-recipe.html

Some made from scratch Ramen

Delicious looking ramen!

Keep at it.... I do it about once a year. It is hard to get 'good' with so little practice. This was one of my previous attempts:

DSC00660.jpg

I like to balance out the meal with more veggies than is usual for a ramen.

just an insane amount of effort to reproduce at home

Right? Waaaay to much when you live a brief walk to a cheaper, faster and delicious ramen! Still... fun to go through the challenge.

I have had luck with this egg recipe:

https://seonkyounglongest.com/ramen-egg/

When I started I went through a batch of eggs and took them out at 30 second increments to see what consistency I liked. It was fairly repeatable. Lots of egg based meals during those experiments! I also just use a sink full of cold water rather than an ice-bath...

pop them into a boiling pot for 15 seconds or so at the end to firm up the exterior enough so that they can be peeled.

I think this is a step that I haven't done. Will definitely try it next time. The whites are my biggest issue, so this step makes total sense.

Last edited:
Back