Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0221201724.jpg
pink moon oysters from PEI

Here in the states we call it shrimp and grits. Shimp were fresh never frozen from North Carolina. old bay hot sauce which was a limited release sold out in hours.
It really looks great! Recipe please?

I have Old Bay spice in a tin here, but no Old Bay hot sauce. What's a reasonable substitute for that? Sriracha with Old Bay added maybe?

Grits according to instructions.
Sous vide shrimp with pat of butter 30 minutes @130° F.
I think shiracha has too much garlic. I would mix old bay with Tabasco.
Next release of old bay hot sauce is May.
Not only was it good i didn't have to cook!

A few years ago, home alone used to mean that I had fried onions on everything I ate. Now it means that I can eat saussage, avocado, saurkraut and bread (this is sourdough, and the holes are small enough so that @Michi could smear his marmelade without any mess, if he were to drop by).
IMG_4837.jpg

Apologies to our asien members, but today I attempted to cook chinese..
Haven't been this far out of my comfort zone since I started cooking.

I made steamed cod.
IMG_0407.jpg

And served it "West Lake Style" with garlic/ginger broccoli and rice.
IMG_0408.jpg

I added some chili oil to the rice and it ate really great. Using chopsticks were a lot easier than the first time.

Gave Chile Relleno Oaxaca’s style a shot to a surprisingly authentic tasting outcome, well, at least the Chile Rellenos. I thought I had some black beans but only found pintos so pintos it was even though they don’t eat pintos in Oaxaca. Plus it would never be served with pico de gallo.... so shoot me.

I had some Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca’s kicking around that I brought back from Oaxaca and I needed to use up so rellenos came to mind. In Oaxaca you have a choice between two types of chiles for rellenos. Chile de Agua and Pasilla de Oaxaca. Chile de Agua is a thin-ish skinned green chile shaped like a smallish Anaheim but sort of hot, just shy of a Jalapeño. Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca is a dried red chile that is smoked, not as much as a chipotle but it has a distinct smokey bright flavor. They are rehydrated and stuffed. I could only find some small poblanos to take the place of the Chile de Agua which are not available outside of Oaxaca, same with the Pasilla de Oaxaca’s. In Oaxaca they are filled with queso, picadillo or tinga de pollo. I made up some picadillo for the stuffing and some salsa de Chile Pasilla de Oaxaca as well for the table.

A shout out to a world class cook book. I used a recipe from “Oaxaca al Gusto” ... an absolutely fantastic cookbook and culinary documentation of the diversity of Oaxacan cooking. It was assembled by Dian Kennedy and anyone interested in real traditional Mexican regional cooking should give it a look. It’s a bit of a coffee table book and packed with recipes and description of food from 8 regions of Oaxaca. All the recipes are attributed to the Señora and village where they they came from. Even if only half of the recipes are makeable due to exotic ingredients it’s a fantastic look into traditional Mexican cooking. Most of which nobody outside of Oaxaca or southern Mexico would recognize and is never seen in a restaurant in the US.

Anyway... food.
1E5EF73C-3E96-4C27-80F5-B40BB8EF9081.jpeg
36DFF19F-44BC-406F-B10C-73ED842576A0.jpeg
D001A1AB-CCE2-4392-8EC6-354B94BD9344.jpeg

Yeah, also for my wife when she was working. For example today was for my 6 yr old , 2 x 3 yr olds (second pic) and last one was for me
That's pretty cool. I will not be showing that to my family though. I don't need outside expectations of what I'm willing to provide. :)

Back