Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Digging deeper into my freezer. Found chicken thighs. TERIYAKI CHICKEN and not from a jar marinade. Pretty good! Enough left for a workday lunch tomorrow. Roasted some veg in the oven to keep up with nutrition:)

A4D5A066-D057-4A27-8D1C-5B03AD19B081.jpeg

Forgot to upload photos of the Hereford brisket I smoked on Friday-Saturday. I've done a lot of briskets, but this one was the best over.

First covered both sides with Poppamies Cherry-Cola BBQ sauce, then with Poppamies Slow Food Rub. Set the grill up in "snake" configuration, a pan of water under the brisket, burning counterclockwise with hickory chunks first and apple chunks as it progressed. Kept the temp inside the grill roughly at 80C and pulled the brisket when the meat thermometer hit 90C.

Sliced it up with my 30cm Mac Yanagiba :)

The company that I bought it from had a sense of humour - packed the brisket along with a roll of toilet paper.

IMG_2231.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg
IMG_2234.jpeg
IMG_2235.jpeg
IMG_2238.jpeg

well shutting down for a month means a bit of produce had to go from work and lots of time for cookin’:

Brown rice congee ginger and spring onion, duck breast and veggies
upload_2020-3-31_3-25-10.jpeg

Sort of Thai style yellow curry with duck leg
upload_2020-3-31_3-27-40.jpeg

red wine and dried porcini (again sort of) risotto with a perfectly overcooked soft cooked egg
upload_2020-3-31_3-32-43.jpeg

Omlette with Swiss chard, avocado, feta, and dill
upload_2020-3-31_3-34-22.jpeg

And lots of fruit and yogurt bowls!
upload_2020-3-31_3-35-49.jpeg

That's not porcini.
hahah yes. The porcinis are rehydrated dried ones, chopped and mixed through, with the liquid used for cooking. Theres sautéed and raw buttons as well. I was more prepared for someone to accuse it of not being a very nice risotto: I don’t have easy access to good quality carnaroli rice here so I just use brown rice and give a small corner a quick blitz with a hand blender to release a bit of extra starch. From someone whose worked at some high end Italian spots the difference is glaring to me but it gets the job done

Found a sack of flour at the store. So I used up the last of the old one.View attachment 75476

One for Team Beige? Paging Emperor 'His Highness Above All except Mazaki-bot @Carl Kotte', Supreme Exalted, Beige Team leader Captain. Or should I open communication with team Chòcöläté?

Last edited:
hahah yes. The porcinis are rehydrated dried ones, chopped and mixed through, with the liquid used for cooking. Theres sautéed and raw buttons as well.

Porcini (Boletus Edulis) is a sponge mushroom, not a gilled one. And I am critically allergic to it. Last two times I ate it, I wound up laying on the floor of my shower vomiting and dry heaving for over an hour, thinking I was going to die. Funny thing is that I ate plenty of it before something inside my liver just flipped. The first time, I thought I'd just contracted food poisoning. The second time (nearly a year later, store bought frozen porcini) was the confirmation that the stuff will indeed kill me if I don't leave it alone.

Yeah. Watch out for signs of high temperature though, just in case it's something more serious.
It appears to be up and running again. I bought some new flour and I mixed it carefully with the water this time (when I’m sloppy I just shake the jar and hope for the best). Now my only problem is to get the loaf out of the dutch oven. It’s stuck!

Attachments

• D6C03B47-13B8-4D13-8F11-E65BDBF82088.jpeg
    D6C03B47-13B8-4D13-8F11-E65BDBF82088.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 15
Glad to hear that your starter is back to normal!

For the dutch oven, I don't bother with sprinkling semolina or some such to stop the bread from sticking. Instead, I tear off a longish sheet of baking paper. Put that on top of a small cutting board, invert, and put the whole thing on top of my banneton. Invert a second time (quickly), and the whole (unbaked) loaf plops out of the banneton and now sits (right side up) on the baking paper with the cutting board underneath.

Next, I slash the loaf, pick up the baking paper by the ends, and lift up the whole show (like on a sling or hammock) and lower it into the pre-heated (to 260 ºC) dutch oven. Lid on, into the oven (at 260 ºC) for 30 minutes. Then take the lid off and lower temperature to 230 ºC for 20 minutes.

Once done, pull the dutch oven out, and just grab the ends of the baking paper to lift the loaf out of the dutch oven and plonk it on a cooling rack.

@Michi it usually works without special meassures: I just put the dough in the dutch oven and put the oven in the oven. Someone may have cleaned the dutch oven lately...

Back