Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks delicious even if I don't recognize that kind of spaghetti noodle.
i said the exact same thing to the portguese lady that dropped off the plate and announced it. i got the feeling portuguese ladies dont sweat the details. so neither should i. but i get your point.

IMG_20200626_152046.jpg

Chicken adobo and fried egg with rice.

Birria Tacos!

Loosly based on Birrieria San Marcos down in Los Angeles, these tacos are made with shredded beef that has been slow simmering in a dutch oven with various dried roasted chilies, cumin, onion, garlic and other spices along with beef or chicken broth. The meat gets diced/shredded and mixed with some of the bright red, greasy sauce.

The tortillas get dipped in the sauce before going on a plancha and topped with only the shredded beef and some melty cheese. Topped with diced cilantro and red onion and served.

I used J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's recipe for barbacoa ( he recently made a YouTube video showing the more traditional recipe using lamb) but chose the dried chilies I already had on hand, mine's pretty spicy.

I should have just used a teflon pan or some oil in the a pan to help get even more crispy texture, but there's plenty left to make more tomorrow.

_MG_3475.jpeg
_MG_3483.jpeg

Tonight was a random pairing of two things I was craving. Filet mignon with blackberry bacon compote and shaved black truffles. And classic Mexican elote.

Someone on the Dry Aged Beef group on Facebook posted this filet recipe, gilding the lily even more with a generous slab of fois gras under the compote, but I couldn't source any. I've only had it once, but it was pretty divine.

Steaks were cooked sous vide at 120 for 90 minutes. Just salt and pepper and a hot sear in cast iron. It actually was a one pan dish the whole way thru, the corn is toasted dry in the screaming hot cast iron pan, then the bacon is sautéed and the compote is built.

Served with a 2017 Napa Picayune (red blend).

_MG_3485.jpeg
_MG_3492.jpeg

Back