Quantcast

Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

DitmasPork

Reaction score
I second this. I can't cook with soy, maggi (the one from France, Germany, or Switzerland) and 3 types of fish sauce. Actually, I'm not 100% sure these products contain MSG. They are just delicious so I assume there is MSG in it.
Fish sauce, soy sauce, Parmesan cheese, konbu seaweed, et al, have naturally occurring glutamates—the stuff giving that umami taste.

valgard

Stones Addict (terminal case)
Reaction score
And I do have a saturated msg solution in a squeeze bottle next to my stove. More often than not I don't need it because a lot of the ingredients are already loaded, but if I want ba boost I squeeze some on whatever I'm cooking. If the fried rice I'm making isn't loaded with sauces I would squeeze become in the wok while cooking it.

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
I do HOPE you fried those potatoes in Duck fat...looks delicious!
Thanks, I used chicken fat rendered from my favorite french Label Rouge chickens, but it still turned out pretty good..!

Lars

Founding Member
Reaction score
Are these fried or baked? If fried, I assume you started them raw? The texture on those potatoes looks great!
Thanks! They are baked - here is my method:
Boil them until they are tender, drain and let them cool down.
Heat an oven to 190C with the fan on and put enough chicken fat in a baking dish to make it come 5mm up the sides and put the dish in the oven to heat up.
When hot add the potatoes and bake them for about 40 minutes, turning them every 10-15 minutes.
They have a fluffy inside and a crisp and glasslike exterior.

MarcelNL

Supporting Member
Reaction score
sounds like a great way to bake/fry without having to pay too much attention to the process. I usually do something similar in a frying pan with a load of duck fat, pretty much the amount Lars describes but then fry on the stove so it needs a constant watchful eye.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
Got Tiger?
Got Rainbow?
both will become fried-butterflies by tonight

Latest posts