Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken Souvlaki Dinner

Attachments

• IMG_20210106_210739.jpg
    IMG_20210106_210739.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 24
Fesenjoon and Shirazi salad.
IMG_1514.jpg

Fesenjoon is made by grinding walnuts to a paste and simmering it in water for a couple of hours to a porridge-like consistency then adding pomegranate molasses and using it to stew chicken. It's served over rice and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

Shoutout to @rickbern for turning me onto this, it was a sunday afternoon well spent!

New Orleans style spicy boiled shrimp, cooked in my own Louisiana crab-boil concoction. I found some decent shrimp, but unfortunately they are almost impossible to find locally with the heads still on.

Crab boil: salt, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, parsley, lemons, black peppercorns, white peppercorns, ground cayenne, red pepper flakes, celery seed, coriander seed, cloves, bay leaves, vinegar, and a bit of sugar. (Hint: there's enough cayenne if the fumes make you cough when it reaches a boil.)

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

@coxhaus, @Kgp, @BazookaJoe, @Oshidashi - you guys inspired me to try Gumbo.

I live >10,000km from Louisiana, so not all ingredients are as readily available. Given the distance... I also haven't had Gumbo, let alone make it! So be gentle ;)

Not exactly traditional methodology; medium saute of onions, tomatoes and garlic before adding the roux (no oil - done in the tomato juice):

DSC00575.jpg

Added capsicum and celery:

DSC00580.jpg

Melting butter for the roux

DSC00585.jpg

Flour added and stirred. Perhaps not as dark as it could be... I was aiming for 'caramel':

DSC00586.jpg

Chorizo (I know.... I couldnt find Andouille sausage)

DSC00595.jpg

Added sausage, spices and roux. Finished sauteing and added stock (rice in hot pursuit):

DSC00602.jpg

Added prawns (10mins before serving):

DSC00612.jpg

Nice fluffy rice ready:

DSC00616.jpg

Plating up:

DSC00620.jpg

🤤

That looks very delicious! Andouille is not mandatory, and chorizo or kielbasa work well in gumbo. How was it? Did the taste meet your expectations?

It exceeded my expectations!

Not a fussy meal to prepare and cook (fairly low maintenance while reducing the stock). Not sure how the taste aught to compare to the real deal. I used Cajun seasoning and added extra smoked paprika (one of my favourite spices). I also added some Cayenne pepper for some additional zip.

Really flavourful! Great recommendation 👍

Is that a chicken egg?

Yes, from the supermarket, and these ova are a bit more expensive. The box says, "Happy Egg 'Heritage Breed'." In the box the eggs are large and have brown and blue shells mixed, and both have amber red yolks. They seem to have a nice fresh flavor and the yolks are creamy and rich. They come from a farm in Arkansas, I believe. For baking I will use ordinary eggs, but when egg is the primary ingredient I'm happiest using Happy Eggs.

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

It exceeded my expectations!

Not a fussy meal to prepare and cook (fairly low maintenance while reducing the stock). Not sure how the taste aught to compare to the real deal. I used Cajun seasoning and added extra smoked paprika (one of my favourite spices). I also added some Cayenne pepper for some additional zip.

Really flavourful! Great recommendation 👍

Gumbo is one of those dishes that, in spite of the fact that it has tradition and local heritage, gives the chef near total latitude. Other than starting with a dark roux and aromatics, all else is optional, and so each chef's gumbo will differ from others, and will reflect his/her talent and personality, and will also vary with whatever ingredients happen to be on hand.

Fesenjoon and Shirazi salad.
View attachment 109483
Fesenjoon is made by grinding walnuts to a paste and simmering it in water for a couple of hours to a porridge-like consistency then adding pomegranate molasses and using it to stew chicken. It's served over rice and sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

Shoutout to @rickbern for turning me onto this, it was a sunday afternoon well spent!
glad for du nød det!

So, I made gumbo today. I went to the grocery store and I was going to buy pork butt to make Pozole as I have not made it in months and it is kind of a Mexican Christmas soup. The butcher had some great large shrimp with heads. They were so large I had to cut them in half. Where to start. I used the shrimp heads and shells to make broth. I used my new old 4.5-quart pot to make stock. I used a 6 quart pot to make gumbo in which is a lot smaller than I usually use. As I normally use my large Le Cruiset pot. We are trying to downsize with covid going on. I usually throw a party.

First picture is gumbo with frozen okra and no shrimp as I wait till the very end to add shrimp or it seems kind of rubbery to me if it cooks too long.

Second picture is after the roux is made and the trinity is added. I cannot stop to take pictures while cooking the roux or it will burn. The roux keeps getting darker as the trinity cooks.

The third picture is when you add the first ladle of stock to the trinity.

The last picture is of the stock I made with the shrimp heads and shells.

If you are interested in how I make gumbo I can do a recipe with all the steps.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Winter salad, stewed pear aged blue cheese ,confit with Asian sour apple ,walnuts and baked mustard sour grape vinaigrette.

salmon filet with a dried olive crust, courgette preserve, roasted pumpkin and cêpes risotto

Assortiment of sweets caramel and orange bonbon ,tiramisu ,blueberry brownie, panacotta of fermented fig and port, pistachio macaron with baked chestnut filling.

Attachments

• CF9D8B9A-4794-4C8C-9C7A-42B4F97BDF7F.jpeg
    CF9D8B9A-4794-4C8C-9C7A-42B4F97BDF7F.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1A7E20C3-9E58-419F-97A0-A1E3C5B3E3C5.jpeg
    1A7E20C3-9E58-419F-97A0-A1E3C5B3E3C5.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 6C77593D-49D1-453E-A249-30B6620DBE96.jpeg
    6C77593D-49D1-453E-A249-30B6620DBE96.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 24
Winter salad, stewed pear aged blue cheese ,confit with Asian sour apple ,walnuts and baked mustard sour grape vinaigrette.

salmon filet with a dried olive crust, courgette preserve, roasted pumpkin and cêpes risotto

Assortiment of sweets caramel and orange bonbon ,tiramisu ,blueberry brownie, panacotta of fermented fig and port, pistachio macaron with baked chestnut filling.

Works of art. Thanks for sharing.

Back