Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meatloaf.
(recipe from Paul Prudhomme's "Louisiana Kitchen." It's fabulous, and spicy.)

IMG_1386.jpg

I followed this demo by Isaac Toups for chicken and sausage gumbo that he calls 'Gumbo #1'.
Started this morning and let it cook for 6 hours. Served it with steamed white rice.
As we can't get Andouille around here I went with Kålpølse, a very nice Danish smoked sausage.
My experience with Creole food is pretty nonexistent, so I was happy that it worked out. Not authentic, but very delicious.
IMG_1579.jpg

A week of binge watching Midnight Diner and Japanese home cooking...
Have to start with pork and miso stew with burdock, konnyaku & daikon
IMG_6903.jpeg

Nikujaga with shirataki noodles
IMG_6880.jpeg

Tonkatsu with zaru soba
Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 12.04.00 PM.png

Hayashi rice
IMG_6913.jpeg

Shogayaki pork belly with broccolini goma-ae
IMG_6916.jpeg

Zaru soba and shungoku goma-ae
IMG_6910.jpeg

Last edited:
Made Bavarian Weißwurst today. It's a blanched soft pork and veal sausage. (The green bits are parsley.) Together with Leberkäse, this sausage would have to be the archetypal Bavarian sausage. Once blanched, it turns white, like the large sausage beside it.
IMG_4065.JPG

The large sausage is Milzwurst (spleen sausage). It uses the same sausage farce as Weißwurst, but you add bits of spleen. It's typically served sliced into about 1 cm thick slices that are covered with breadcrumbs and pan fried. I haven't cut into the Milzwurst yet; will do that tomorrow.

For tonight, dinner was Weißwurst with Bavarian potato salad and home-made Brezen :)
IMG_4067.jpeg

I followed this demo by Isaac Toups for chicken and sausage gumbo that he calls 'Gumbo #1'.
Started this morning and let it cook for 6 hours. Served it with steamed white rice.
As we can't get Andouille around here I went with Kålpølse, a very nice Danish smoked sausage.
My experience with Creole food is pretty nonexistent, so I was happy that it worked out. Not authentic, but very delicious.
View attachment 112105

Authenticity has its limits. Quality does not, however.

Very nice looking dish and I bet it was delicious

A week of binge watching Midnight Diner and Japanese home cooking...
Have to start with pork and miso stew with burdock, konnyaku & daikon
View attachment 112112
Nikujaga with shirataki noodles
View attachment 112111
Tonkatsu with zaru soba
View attachment 112116
Hayashi rice
View attachment 112113
Shogayaki pork belly with broccolini goma-ae
View attachment 112114
Zaru soba and shungoku goma-ae
View attachment 112115

This all looks stunning! Let me know if you ever entertain dinner guests who bring wine!!!

Made Bavarian Weißwurst today. It's a blanched soft pork and veal sausage. (The green bits are parsley.) Together with Leberkäse, this sausage would have to be the archetypal Bavarian sausage. Once blanched, it turns white, like the large sausage beside it.
View attachment 112182
The large sausage is Milzwurst (spleen sausage). It uses the same sausage farce as Weißwurst, but you add bits of spleen. It's typically served sliced into about 1 cm thick slices that are covered with breadcrumbs and pan fried. I haven't cut into the Milzwurst yet; will do that tomorrow.

For tonight, dinner was Weißwurst with Bavarian potato salad and home-made Brezen :)
View attachment 112183
dinner😱
don't tell that to a bavarian.... 😁

do you have the out of the oven pic? that is so much work to do it, but so pretty. kudo's!

Thank you! Sadly, I didn't take any out-of-the-oven pics, but I do have a couple of "in the making of"...

Potatoes.jpg

Funny.jpg

And yes, it was pretty labor intensive. The cutting was fine - 10 large potatoes for the very thin slices, 3 large leeks for the 1mm slices of those, brunoise of 500g of shallots and a dozen cloves of garlic takes time but it's a good time. Assembly into the pan, however, layering potato-spinach-potato-leek and running that all the way around the pan was looooooong. It was worth it, though: my kids and girlfriend loved it.

Thank you! Sadly, I didn't take any out-of-the-oven pics, but I do have a couple of "in the making of"...

View attachment 112257

View attachment 112258

And yes, it was pretty labor intensive. The cutting was fine - 10 large potatoes for the very thin slices, 3 large leeks for the 1mm slices of those, brunoise of 500g of shallots and a dozen cloves of garlic takes time but it's a good time. Assembly into the pan, however, layering potato-spinach-potato-leek and running that all the way around the pan was looooooong. It was worth it, though: my kids and girlfriend loved it.

sweet!
did you put potatoes in water while you did the rest or you wanted extra starch to keep it together?

sweet!
did you put potatoes in water while you did the rest or you wanted extra starch to keep it together?

I wanted a little starch, but not too much. I rinsed them and drained them post slicing, but I honestly should have soaked them longer - the mouthfeel was slightly too starchy. The 5 eggs drizzled on top helped I think? Nobody else noticed. This was a first iteration, off-the-cuff attempt. My GF mentioned something with potatoes, and I had a new cast iron skillet to try.

I wanted a little starch, but not too much. I rinsed them and drained them post slicing, but I honestly should have soaked them longer - the mouthfeel was slightly too starchy. The 5 eggs drizzled on top helped I think? Nobody else noticed. This was a first iteration, off-the-cuff attempt. My GF mentioned something with potatoes, and I had a new cast iron skillet to try.

i dont know if longer would have worked. probably best to use waxy potatoes from start.. but either way, it looked amazing and i bet it tasted awesome.

i dont know if longer would have worked. probably best to use waxy potatoes from start.. but either way, it looked amazing and i bet it tasted awesome.

Yeah, I'm not sure either, and it wasn't anything bad by any means. It was stupid beautiful, which is a win all by itself. We ate all of it and there were requests for more. Basically it was a pure win, plus it was a great excuse to cut and slice like a madman with my kitchen friends (both my knives and my kids). If you look to the left in the photo of the stacks of potato slices, you can see the tip of my Moritaki Nakiri in the hands of my son dicing the end-pieces of the potatoes (for no good reason).

Yeah, I'm not sure either, and it wasn't anything bad by any means. It was stupid beautiful, which is a win all by itself. We ate all of it and there were requests for more. Basically it was a pure win, plus it was a great excuse to cut and slice like a madman with my kitchen friends (both my knives and my kids). If you look to the left in the photo of the stacks of potato slices, you can see the tip of my Moritaki Nakiri in the hands of my son dicing the end-pieces of the potatoes (for no good reason).

of course it was a goods reason.... to use your knives!

T-Bones 🥩

Attachments

• 57EFEF61-7899-4932-A80D-36563CB89589.jpeg
    57EFEF61-7899-4932-A80D-36563CB89589.jpeg
    235.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 5AC5C8EA-13AE-48CE-8CAE-52736951B026.jpeg
    5AC5C8EA-13AE-48CE-8CAE-52736951B026.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 12
  • FDB3B025-FE14-4E47-A1D2-F0E736DEC0A1.jpeg
    FDB3B025-FE14-4E47-A1D2-F0E736DEC0A1.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 815DE9F6-E86C-4E73-9C87-542C7F008011.jpeg
    815DE9F6-E86C-4E73-9C87-542C7F008011.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 10
  • FC299E8A-15D8-492A-9310-1AA3FDD57835.jpeg
    FC299E8A-15D8-492A-9310-1AA3FDD57835.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 10
  • EAF14C26-41B2-45FB-973C-87B81763F3F7.jpeg
    EAF14C26-41B2-45FB-973C-87B81763F3F7.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 12
First time making Bolognese. Thank you for the recipe @ptolemy ! It took all damn day to make, but my family loved it! I used duck fat instead of the bacon fat, used a mix of veal, lamb and pork. Stock was home made.
View attachment 112310View attachment 112313View attachment 112314View attachment 112315View attachment 112316View attachment 112317View attachment 112318View attachment 112319

awesome, i am glad you liked it! and yes, that's why I make a huge batch, cause it takes 8hrs to make... loL

Back