Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I made Filipino Escabeche -- whole yellowtail snapper with a sweet and sour ginger/garlic/vegetable sauce. The last photo was some of the leftovers.

View attachment 121322

View attachment 121325

View attachment 121323

View attachment 121330

View attachment 121324

View attachment 121326
once i had that (or something very similar) on a holiday, where we got invited to a filippino family and they cooked for like 20 people. it ended up in a big party and it seemed that food never stopped coming up... it was one of my most memorable dining with locals...

Can you share the ingredients? I'm really fascinated. Looks like blueberries, dots of blue cheese, poppy seeds, butter lettuce, dill fronds, salt-roasted pearl onions, ( sliced endive?) and something smaller than pears, but whatever they are, they look delicious.

Spot on, those are vin blanc poached pears with shaved fennel, grated pecan dust and a horseradish-buttermilk dressing

Thai style mussels.
My wife loves them, i like them too but dislike the labour/quantity ratio it ends up... Nevertheless, as she didn't stop asking for i agreed and it was pretty tasteful, but still not too much
20210321_192251.jpg
20210321_183112.jpg
20210321_192411.jpg
20210321_182311.jpg
20210321_191842.jpg

I've heard people have been missing Uncle Xenif's bentos, so I made some with current event themed bentos

Uncle Xenif's Flippertastic Top Flippig full of squares and rectangles but not hexegons beef tongue in cheek special bento box

DSC_9976.JPG
DSC_9970.JPG
DSC_9965.JPG

As a bonus, because circles need love too like the nakiri, this is Vegetarian Temari Sushi with Knife Karma-age

DSC_9956.JPG

I made everything with 3 Mazakis (180 petty, Nakiri, 240 gyuto)

Thanks for the inspiration guys

I've heard people have been missing Uncle Xenif's bentos, so I made some with current event themed bentos

Uncle Xenif's Flippertastic Top Flippig full of squares and rectangles but not hexegons beef tongue in cheek special bento box

View attachment 121450View attachment 121451View attachment 121452

As a bonus, because circles need love too like the nakiri, this is Vegetarian Temari Sushi with Knife Karma-age

View attachment 121453

I made everything with 3 Mazakis (180 petty, Nakiri, 240 gyuto)

Thanks for the inspiration guys

Outstanding.

My new lunchtime obsession is: quesadillas! They are delicious and a great way to transform the leftoverages. below with leftover flank steak, grilled veggies, and a little colbyjack cheese below and atop to keep it all together, then dressed with a little honey/lime/chipotle/cilantro sauce.

quesa1.jpg

quesa2.jpg

quesa3.jpg

A couple slices of steak left over from the weekend that has to get used today. I pulled the cooked pork roast out of the freezer yesterday just to have a protein in the fridge.

TsCVJoQ.jpg

*Tsunehisa Nashiji G3 210 gyuto with custom handle by Real Sharp Knives. Maiden voyage actually.

Charred poblano pepper stuffed with melted Monteray and Pepper Jack cheeses and steak. Pork seared with cumin and garlic. Pinto beans cooked in rich chicken stock, garlic, herb medley and (charred) lemon and lime juice.
sXhbhvm.jpg

Last edited:
Cheap plentiful home brined & smoked ham = Massive Paul Prudhome style "tasso" & chicken jambalaya.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-and-tasso-jambalaya-105412/amp
My home made "ham" analogue is not anything so peppery as real tasso, I'm adding a good bit of Urfa Biber and Aleppo red peppers along with the cayenne to bring the white/black/red pepper ballance somewhat into line with what I used to make at he Fordham Avenue New Orleans Takeout in Madison WI 30 + years ago.

Used chicken thighs boned & skinned with the bargain basement honesuki, made pressure cooker instant pot chicken stock with the bones, skin, onion & celery trimmings last night for the jambalaya tonight. Also using some ham bone/skin stock, which we never had available at that restaurant si ce the hams came in boned and compressed into plastic wrapped "ham pucks". Won't add any salt to this batch until it's about finished, I suspect it won't take much more salt than the "ham" and stocks already brought to this party.

Back to my roots. Used to make about 5 gallons of jambalaya most mornings when I was cooking and going to school. We used "Cure 81" Hormel ham for jambalaya and any ham & cheese po'boys we sold at the restaurant. My first batch of home brined & smoked ham turned out BETTER, or at least stronger flavored than those Hormel hams ever were.

20210407_210944.jpg

20210407_221659.jpg

20210407_222409.jpg

20210407_231135.jpg

20210407_233943.jpg

20210407_234639.jpg

20210407_234404.jpg

Last edited:
Cheap plentiful home brined & smoked ham = Massive Paul Prudhome style "tasso" & chicken jambalaya.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chicken-and-tasso-jambalaya-105412/amp
My home made "ham" analogue is not anything so peppery as real tasso, I'm adding a good bit of Urfa Biber and Aleppo red peppers along with the cayenne to bring the white/black/red pepper ballance somewhat into line with what I used to make at he Fordham Avenue New Orleans Takeout in Madison WI 30 + years ago.

Used chicken thighs boned & skinned with the bargain basement honesuki, made pressure cooker instant pot chicken stock with the bones, skin, onion & celery trimmings last night for the jambalaya tonight. Also using some ham bone/skin stock, which we never had available at that restaurant si ce the hams came in boned and compressed into plastic wrapped "ham pucks". Won't add any salt to this batch until it's about finished, I suspect it won't take much more salt than the "ham" and stocks already brought to this party.

Back to my roots. Used to make about 5 gallons of jambalaya most mornings when I was cooking and going to school. We used "Cure 81" Hormel ham for jambalaya and any ham & cheese po'boys we sold at the restaurant. My first batch of home brined & smoked ham turned out BETTER, or at least stronger flavored than those Hormel hams ever were.

View attachment 121723

View attachment 121724

View attachment 121725

View attachment 121726

View attachment 121727

View attachment 121729

View attachment 121728

I like it. I have only made Jambalaya with crawfish or shrimp. This looks good.

Are tasso peppers like tabasco peppers?

Last edited:
I like it. I have only made Jambalaya with crawfish or shrimp. This looks good.

Are tasso peppers like tabasco peppers?

The heat in tasso comes from a good bit of cayenne pepper added to the dry rub used on the pork before smoking.

Tasso was a cajun ethnic food, nowadays, it's a spicy cured ham- But "back in the day", it was made from other parts of the hog than the orthodox hog leg ham or even the pork shoulders.

Like many ethnic foods, tasso was made from the cuts richer city people didn't want to eat or wouldn't buy from poor cajun farmers.

Homemade Tasso Recipe - Nola Cuisine

Last edited:
The heat in tasso comes from a good bit of cayenne pepper added to the dry rub used on the pork before smoking.

Tasso was a cajun ethnic food, nowadays, it's a spicy cured ham- But "back in the day", it was made from other parts of the hog than the orthodox hog leg ham or even the pork shoulders.

Like many ethnic foods, tasso was made from the cuts richer city people didn't want to eat or wouldn't buy from poor cajun farmers.

Homemade Tasso Recipe - Nola Cuisine

Yummy. I can take the heat and still taste the dish as I am kind of a pepper head. When I am not busy, I may come back to this. Everything is dead in my yard or needs a lot of attention as that unusual snow and ice storm we had is keeping me busy in the yard. Plus planting a big garden right now. And getting plants is a real problem as all the garden center plants froze. I have been to the garden center over a dozen times looking for plants, hoping they come in on the truck. If I don't get the plants planted soon it will be too hot to start young plants as summer is around the corner with 100+ F degree days will be here before I know it.

This is not the norm as we only have these kinds of storms maybe once every 15 years.

Last edited:
I have been to the garden center over a dozen times looking for plants, hoping they come in on the truck. If I don't get the plants planted soon it will be too hot to start young plants as summer is around the corner with 100+ F degree days will be here before I know it.

This is not the norm as we only have these kinds of storms maybe once every 15 years.

What is this "garden center" you speak of?

20210408_132737.jpg

Back