Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know... Indian-ish ground lamb with tomatoes, rice, mint, and a garlic-yogurt sauce. 🤪

OFYNKe2.jpg

So a lot of different spices in here most of them being Indian/Mediterranean inspired (Garam Masala, Cumin, Turmeric, etc.). We don't eat a lot of those flavors and I haven't cooked lamb in years so I was genuinely out of my comfort zone and for sure winging it. I loved it and I have two containers going into the freezer for future lunches. My wife? Not so much. But that's okay and it is still a win!

Thirty-plus years ago, if it didn't come out of a box, a window, or contain potatoes, she was more than likely not going to like it. Then came this little cable channel called Discovery. They had shows like Wings and Great Chefs of the World. That ignited my flame and as Food Network came along she began getting more open. Slow, but still...

Anyway, today she eats way more stuff than she would have ever dreamed back then and is generally always up to trying whatever I make. She still has a strong bias for her comfort food and is a very good cook in her own right, but new stuff is primarily my domain and she is a willing dance partner.

She said a while back that she wanted to try lamb again as she hadn't had since she was a kid and didn't like it. So, tonight was the night.

She liked the lamb but is not big on the Indian flavor profile. She doesn't hate it, and thinks she could get to like it but it is no doubt very different. So, no outward rejection and an express desire to try both the lamb and a toned down spice approach and I will take that as a win. :)

I think next time I'll give the lamb a more Mexican/Spanish approach as she loves those flavors.

And yeah, I did just notice the picture looks like a rabbit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
How long was your reduction?
Simmered for 20 hours. Then reduced to about half volume in another two hours or so.

Started with 5 kg of veal bones, plus onion, carrot, celery, leek, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaves, black peppercorns, thyme, and rosemary.

Ended up with 2.5 l of demi-glace.

Fresh green olives. Yes, they really have that colour.
IMG_4148.jpeg

Curing in a 2.2% sodium hydroxide solution for 16 hours.
IMG_4150.jpeg

Final product after leeching out the lye and curing in 4% salt brine for another week. The final brine is 3 parts vinegar, 17 parts 5% salt brine, and a few pickling spices.
IMG_4184.jpeg

Last edited:
Fresh green olives. Yes, they really have that colour.
View attachment 122055
Curing in a 2.2% sodium hydroxide solution for 16 hours.
View attachment 122057
Final product after leeching out the lye and curing in 4% salt brine for another week. The final brine is 3 parts vinegar, 17 parts 5% salt brine, and a few pickling spices.
View attachment 122059

Awesome my friend! I mean, the awesomeness starts with just getting fresh olives and then carries all the way through! 👍 :)

So it's Friday night and I have some leftover naan bread from our lamb experiment...What to do...?

JkECenq.jpg

*Tsunehisa G3 nashiji gyuto with RSK handle

Onion cut fine and chunky.

1SoehHe.jpg

*Suncraft Senzo Black bunka

A couple slices of deli ham and some other stuff... The chunky onions under a wet paper towel to keep them fresh until use.

The carrots and fine diced onions, among many other things, went into a tomato sauce that I guess I didn't get a picture of. 🤪

h8RHyy8.jpg

Can't remember where she got these little stone pizza slates but they are awesome.

aDPaepK.jpg

Made one for each of us. Mine (above) has a couple slices of left over salami. Nice Friday night, beer-sponge grub.

:)

Last edited:
This looks gorgeous!

I'm intrigued by the sausage. Very pretty! Looks a bit like Lup Chong, but with a finer texture. Does it taste the same?

Do you know the the name and/or where to source it?

It is Nem nướng.

Lup Chong and Nem nướng are two entirely different things but both still come from pork. Nem nướng is quite a popular dish. So I wouldn't be suprised if you may already know it also being a popular BBQ item you'd find if you happen to be at a Vietnamese person's house having a BBQ. It comes as a fresh mince that is extremely fatty and already seasoned which you will need shape yourself with your hands into a sausage or onto a skewer.

They can also be eaten with rice paper rolls or as some have called it in a few pervious posts as "summer rolls" which are to be dipped in fish sauce.

You should be able to pick these up from any Vietnamese butchery store. Just ask for a container of Nem nướng. It will be packed in a takeway container which are typically 1kg or 2kg. A lot of butcheries season their own; so don't be discouraged if you're not happy with the batch you have. So you'd have to find some personal suggestions or do some exploring yourself. Sadly I don't know any places in Brisbane but can point you to the right direction if you are in Sydney.

Thank you for the very detailed explanation! So, I think I have eaten this before, as meat balls on skewers at Vietnamese take-away stalls. The meat is definitely pork, and it has quite a sweet flavour to it, and it does contain a lot of fat, with a fairly soft and and fine texture. I suspect that this is what you might be describing?

I'll have a look around for this. I might try and chat to some of those take-away food stalls owners. There might well be one who can point me at a supplier.

Thanks again for the info!

Thank you for the very detailed explanation! So, I think I have eaten this before, as meat balls on skewers at Vietnamese take-away stalls. The meat is definitely pork, and it has quite a sweet flavour to it, and it does contain a lot of fat, with a fairly soft and and fine texture. I suspect that this is what you might be describing?

I'll have a look around for this. I might try and chat to some of those take-away food stalls owners. There might well be one who can point me at a supplier.

Thanks again for the info!

Yep, that sounds about right. They are indeed sweet and umami/savoury. Very well balanced where they don't try and overlap each other that you can distinctly taste the flavours when you're chewing. This is due to the use of sugar for the sweetness and fish sauce mixed into the mince for the umami-ness.

You can always try and make it yourself and use a much more leaner mince if the fattiness is a concern. I am sure you can find the ingredients for the seasoning/marinade at the local Asian grocery. Though I don't have a secret family recipe I just buy mine from the local butcher 😂

Oh and I'd like to add. But maybe you've might of eaten a Vietnamese Pork Roll from a Vietnamese bakery store? Some of them just don't offer the typical Pork Roll but other meat alternatives such as...you've guessed it Nem nướng !

Nothing beats homemade salsa:

View attachment 122153

Made from grilled tomatoes, red onion, green jalapeños, garlic. In a foodprocessor with cilantro, lemonjuice, some cayennepepper and cumin, pepper and salt.

Great with tortilla chips, nacho's, fajita's or any other mexican dish. 🤤

My immediate thought, just looking at it, was, Man, that looks like it would be good on some cod.

:)

You can always try and make it yourself and use a much more leaner mince if the fattiness is a concern. I am sure you can find the ingredients for the seasoning/marinade at the local Asian grocery.
Found a recipe here. Doesn’t look like rocket science. The only unusual ingredient is annatto seed. If I can’t find that at my Asian supermarket, it’s readily available via mail order.

Will give this a try soon 😊

Found a recipe here. Doesn’t look like rocket science. The only unusual ingredient is annatto seed. If I can’t find that at my Asian supermarket, it’s readily available via mail order.

Will give this a try soon 😊
Also used in Mexican cuisine, you might look there as well. One of the ingredients in Al Pastor, a favorite of mine.

Back