Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had some leftovers yesterday and threw this together for dinner. Fried rice...made with wild/brown rice (a bit of sacrilege), green onion, sweet onion, eggs, and bratwurst.

P.s. used my Watanabe Pro nakiri on protein for the first time.
PXL_20211003_232924485~2.jpg

Had some leftovers yesterday and threw this together for dinner. Fried rice...made with wild/brown rice (a bit of sacrilege), green onion, sweet onion, eggs, and bratwurst.

P.s. used my Watanabe Pro nakiri on protein for the first time.View attachment 145659

Nice.

Psst... I use a nakiri on proteins all the time. ;)

Light supper spread…
Cheeses were Tomme Corse from Corsica, farmstead Brie Fermier from Ile de France and Salva Cremasco from Lombardy. Bread is a seeded Demi from Jane the Bakery.
We also had a few pineapple guavas aka feijoa from a friend’s backyard in Oakland.
654DC708-A89A-42E9-A3F8-CAF57CB8CBC8.jpeg

Shrimp and avocado salad and charred shishito peppers
0594B2A9-4DFA-43D4-99A1-186F6B133D9D.jpeg

Local Malossol caviar with buckwheat bilinis
C89DC1FA-8908-4B3C-8660-47E2173639F0.jpeg
4D669DDA-9BC9-4FE5-AB9C-7216B478A32F.jpeg

Last edited:
Only picture I managed to grab tonight...

PdT8vV8.jpg

Spatchcocked these Cornish "hens" with my Masakane honesuki then smoked and ultimately charred them. Turned out great. Made a homemade Asian-biased BBQ sauce and mashed potatoes with the leftover Béchamel sauce from last night.

:)

Beauty - I must have gotten the same "memo" as we cookied exactly the same protein (dry rub vs BBQ & minus the Bechamel) .. LOL ... in fairness I did the backbone removal with MAC shears ...

Beauty - I must have gotten the same "memo" as we cookied exactly the same protein (dry rub vs BBQ & minus the Bechamel) .. LOL ... in fairness I did the backbone removal with MAC shears ...

I normally use shears and advocate them for the task. I just wanted to see how the Masakane edge held up. It did well. :)

Also, I dry rubbed as well. Sauce was served on the side.

wow. is this a difficult recipe? i love potatoes. i love leeks!
It's dead simple! I don't have a written recipe, but I'm more than happy to have a go at writing one. I would be stoked if you gave it a try..!

Leek and potato soup

1 small onion, sliced
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced and rinsed
Potatoes, about the same amount by weight as leek, peeled and thinly sliced
Butter
Chicken stock
White wine
Bouquet garni of bay leaf and thyme
Salt and pepper

Put the sliced potato in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes to get rid of some of the starch. Rinse and dry.
Heat the butter over medium heat and add the onion, leak and potato. Sweat until the leeks collapse. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Add a splash of white wine and enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Add the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. Pour of and save some of the liquid and remove the bouquet garni.
Puree in a blender or with a stick and use the reserved liquid to adjust the consistency. Season with more salt and pepper.

I like to garnish with creme fraiche and chives, but do whatever floats you boat..!

It's dead simple! I don't have a written recipe, but I'm more than happy to have a go at writing one. I would be stoked if you gave it a try..!

Leek and potato soup

1 small onion, sliced
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced and rinsed
Potatoes, about the same amount by weight as leek, peeled and thinly sliced
Butter
Chicken stock
White wine
Bouquet garni of bay leaf and thyme
Salt and pepper

Put the sliced potato in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes to get rid of some of the starch. Rinse and dry.
Heat the butter over medium heat and add the onion, leak and potato. Sweat until the leeks collapse. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Add a splash of white wine and enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Add the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. Pour of and save some of the liquid and remove the bouquet garni.
Puree in a blender or with a stick and use the reserved liquid to adjust the consistency. Season with more salt and pepper.

I like to garnish with creme fraiche and chives, but do whatever floats you boat..!
thanks. i am going to try this. i imagine a yellow potato?

I decided I needed a nice desert this afternoon. It is a great cool day as a cool front ran through. I made an Upside-down Apple tart. I had a little trouble on the flip. What would make it better but a good Sauternes wine. This is going to be a good afternoon.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

You’re in Europe right? Is it difficult sourcing Mexican ingredients?
I'm in Denmark. I can buy chipotle in adobo and canned tomatillos at my local ethnic grocer. The dried chilies I bought online. Fresh stuff like epazote and poblano is out of reach.

I'm in Denmark. I can buy chipotle in adobo and canned tomatillos at my local ethnic grocer. The dried chilies I bought online. Fresh stuff like epazote and poblano is out of reach.
just curious. any GREAT Mexican restuarants in Denmark? i seem to remember a semi famous chef set up camp there..

Be careful with epazote. It grows well in Texas. I added too much to some pinto beans and I had the most real vivid dreams, way over the top. I am careful with that spice.

Back