Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...consider that as a teaser...
Horse loin, being prepared for pastrami.
Every time I consume such meat, I have...well, I feel guilty. But it is not enough to make me stop.
It is kinda Shakespeare's philosophic dilemma in this particular context.
We finished today the prep works of our horse pastrami.
After salting and de-salting, adding herbs, now they will rest for a week and some pieces -may be for some more. Then...Red red wine

Attachments

• IMG_20220119_120059.jpg
    IMG_20220119_120059.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220119_215222.jpg
    IMG_20220119_215222.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220119_221523.jpg
    IMG_20220119_221523.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 25
in an effort to eat less meat (and more fiber)

I did a childhood favorite. stir fried Daikon with glass noodles. it is so light, you can power thru a large serving. flavored with dried mushrooms, and dried shrimp..and the added boost of fish sauce.

daikon.jpg

horse?

i really want to try some horse meat, but it isnt legit here in the USA.

really, weird...I have eaten the meat of about every animal on the globe(it for sure felt like that the night after) in a grill place in NYC but horse is off limits?

Here in Amsterdam (and Antwerp) we have some locally famous traditional steak places that serve Horse for decades.
In a previous town I lived there was a butcher selling horse, so I indulged regularly, taste is great and so is texture!

horse?

i really want to try some horse meat, but it isnt legit here in the USA.
Same.

Kind of weird how certain animals are okay to eat and some aren't. I thought I might be able to try it when I visited France a few years ago, but didn't find it on any menus there either.

Same.

Kind of weird how certain animals are okay to eat and some aren't. I thought I might be able to try it when I visited France a few years ago, but didn't find it on any menus there either.
I have had horse meat once in Slovenia. Surely an experience to not repeat.

Tastes :)

Happen to remember the name of that place? I would like to try just about every animal on the globe.
That was back in 2002 or there about, I'm sure it was an upmarket Churrascarias place and they had a salad bar that was a block long but that is about all I recall (I'll blame the amount of meat I had and not the Caipirinhas) ...I'm sure there are several with a variety of species to sample.

Last edited:
not sure i could eat dog meat since hearing that dog/human fable told to me as a young kid.

but horse meat..yea. i want to try it.

I feel your pain. Oxtail and pigs cheek used to be dirt cheap as well.
pork cheeks are still affordable here. trouble is, my butcher only sells it in a giant frozen hunk. it is a lot of product. i used it to make Cantonese Char Siu, and it was almost too much flavor. haha.

I just picked up some beef hearts for stew at $3.50 a pound. Admittedly not the best cut of beef but does just fine in a stew, need a decent amount of it though to get a good veg/meat ratio. I've been trying to find pork jowls but none of the butchers around me carry them, I can only get them at H-mart pre-sliced and they're a bit expensive. Gonna add pork cheek to my list of things to look for.

Back