Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? I found it simple. A couple of steps and it takes time but still simple… For decades I didn’t like aubergines but, boy, they were so tasty with a soft and creamy texture. It tasted like in Greece… It’s great to „travel“ in these strange times by cooking dishes from all over the world…
It wasn't a problem with the dish, just trying to make it for 100 people in a sihtty too-small kitchen with ridiculous equipment, something a more seasoned chef would have accounted for, and either adjusted the plans or brought in better equipment. It actually wasn't the disaster I'm making it out to be in terms of the food I put out or the satisfaction of the diners, it was just very stressful. I did learn a lot!

It wasn't a problem with the dish, just trying to make it for 100 people in a sihtty too-small kitchen with ridiculous equipment, something a more seasoned chef would have accounted for, and either adjusted the plans or brought in better equipment. It actually wasn't the disaster I'm making it out to be in terms of the food I put out or the satisfaction of the diners, it was just very stressful. I did learn a lot!
Hahahaha, well, I made it for 3 and it was enough for 6-8! 😂

Chicken with grilled beet salad and smoky chipotle/sesame dressing.
IMG_3560.jpg

Not very pretty but pretty tasty! Another one that had been elusive to get just right but finally found the right recipe - tortilla soup (went a little crazy with the cilantro 😂). And probably my favorite pasta dish, spaghetti carbonara. Nom.

IMG_3538 2.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 2
Cheers! I love Fei Long, but not on the right subway line for it—easier, quicker, for me to get to either Manhattan or Ave U Chinatowns.
It's a total trip, love that place (once I realized that Google Translate is the only way to communicate in there unless you speak Chinese!)

Not great for me by public transpo either, but I ride my ancient Honda over there a lot in the warmer weather.

I was fortunate to get a table at Corey Lee's new San Ho Won here in SF last Friday. Coming away from such an epic meal of the finest Korean BBQ I've ever had, I wanted to attempt to copy one simple thing, their kohlrabi pickles, which offer a nice palate reset during a rich/spicy meal. Corey is the brilliant chef behind Benu, San Francisco's first 3 Michelin Star restaurant.

Prime tri-tip grilled skewers, and fresh gremolata on the side.

_MG_0408.jpeg

It's a total trip, love that place (once I realized that Google Translate is the only way to communicate in there unless you speak Chinese!)

Not great for me by public transpo either, but I ride my ancient Honda over there a lot in the warmer weather.
You ever go to Patel Brother’s in Jackson Heights? My fave for South Asian everything.

That soup looks elfin' delicious!

I haven't but I've heard about it and it's on the list. Thanks for the reminder!
Cheers. Veg soup when I feel like putting a knife through a lot of cutting.

Man, Patel Bros. is THE BEST Indian supermarket in NYC—spices and South Asian ingredients galore. Love that area, can do a South by SE Asian grub crawl—eat Indian/Tibetan in Jackson Heights; then walk to Woodside for real deal Filipino.

Cheers. Veg soup when I feel like putting a knife through a lot of cutting.

Man, Patel Bros. is THE BEST Indian supermarket—spices and South Asian ingredients galore. Love that area, can do a South by SE Asian grub crawl—eat Indian/Tibetan in Jackson Heights; then walk to Woodside for real deal Filipino.

Yeah, when I feel l like a lot of prep my go-tos are hot and sour soup (lots of Fei Long stuff in that one) or "Super Slaw" 😀

I'm going to try and go to Patel Bros. when I need to move the car next week. I love Kaluystan's and used to shop there a fair bit but the freshness of most items leaves a lot to be desired so I've been ordering spices online.

Back