Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buttermilk fried chicken
20220523_185948.jpg
20220523_185954.jpg

So on Thursday night, I pulled a little like 1.5-2lb pork roast out of the freezer and tossed into the fridge to thaw. Unfortunately, when I grabbed it this morning, it was spoiled. Just bad luck on the purchase, must've been close to turning when the wife bought it.

I was cranky and possibly overcompensated on my trip to the store. :p Four pound pork loin on sale? Why yes, yes I should have that!

After trimming, I slathered it in apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and whiskey and then massaged in a rub of salt, brown sugar, mustard powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, cumin, etc.

u3CtAL5.jpg

Cooked it low and slow on my homemade little Weber Smokey Joe smoker setup. Along with chorizo and rice stuffed peppers, homemade refried beans, chimichurri, etc.

vhHGE1Z.jpg

Ton of leftovers but super tasty! :)

Today we had pasta puttanesca something different. Cause I didn't have any olives, I just fried arugula to give it a nutty taste, roasted pine nuts, fresh oregano and some china fish sauce on top of the anchovies. It was really tasty and I liked it better than the original. I would definitely do it again.

IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG

I finally got around to putting my own edge on my mass drop Kamon and it's really transformed the knife. I'm not sure why as the OOTB was objectively sharp - cleanly sliced a paper towel - but it always felt a bit off to me, requiring a touch more force for cutting than I expected.

Anyway, just a quick prep of a beef stir fry with flank steak, bell peppers, and onion.
IMG_1137.jpeg

Here's my IG "making of" reel where you can see the Kamon in action.

Last edited:
I made a posh burger. From the bottom up; toasted brioche, sauce(mayo/ketchup/mustard/worcestershire/tabasco), lettuce, 30% fat brisket patty, brie cheese, bacon/onion jam, pickled onion and cucumber, more sauce, toasted brioche.
And because the price of cooking oil is up 150% since January and it seemed silly to spend 10 euro for the oil to cook a potato I made oven fries for the first time and to my surprise they actually didn't suck!
IMG_8252.JPG

Back