Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not the most photogenic meal, but since I had it in the jungles of Peru, I am been making Lentil soups. stick-blender fun!!

lentils.jpg

Pizza night! Caputo Nuvola flour, 67% hydration, 3% salt, 0,1% yeast. 8 hour room temp bulk fermentation, balled up and left in the fridge for 62 hours, 2 hours at room temp then stretched and topped with tomato sauce, prosciutto cotto, low moisture mozzarella, mushrooms and fresh tomatoes. Baked on a steel in my home oven turned up as hot as it goes.
IMG_9266.JPG

I rarely braise but it has cooled off a little and I made pot roast using my home-made beef broth. A friend gave me a seven-bone chuck roast piece of beef and I needed it out of the freezer.

IMG_0976.jpg

Last edited:
Made smoked and dried "Nußschinken". It comes from the upper front part of the hind leg, number 16 in this diagram:
fleischteile-schwein___default_620_383.jpg

Meat prepared for curing for two weeks in vacuum:
1663459004946.jpeg

After curing:
1663459029162.jpeg

Trussed and hung up to dry and equilibrate for a few days:
1663459081511.jpeg

Then four cold smoking sessions spread over four days, eight hours of smoke each time. After that, dry the ham some more (about a week), re-seal in vacuum and ripen in the fridge for a month. Finally, hung up for a few days more to dry:
1663459183014.jpeg

And the finished product. It's tasty. Very tasty :)
1663459213002.jpeg

had a rogue tomato plant start growing in my yard. wife wouldn't let me clip it early. now here we are.

roasted a bunch of the fruit to spread over some focaccia later. wife doesn't like them roasted to the point of "Char"..something about cancer. so I pulled them a tad early.

tomatoes22 .jpg

I am playing with the fermentation of foods lately.

IMG_20220918_094859.jpg
Lacto fermented kohlrabi by the kraut method. Very delicious. The nice thing about kohlrabi is that the taste resembles the one of sauerkraut but you don't have to buy and use a whole head of cabbage.

IMG_20220918_094902.jpg
Peachshrub.

IMG_20220918_094910.jpg

Left to right some new ferments that I started today; except for the fermented garlic I havn't tried the ferments before:

IMG_20220918_094917.jpg
(1) In honey fermented blue berries
(2) Lacto fermented beans with garlic, bay leaf, mustard seeds and chilly. Looking backwards I should've added some thinly sliced red onion. Don't want to remove the beans from the container now anymore. So I'll do that the next time.
IMG_20220918_094921.jpg
(3) Lacto fermented radishes. With a hint of sugar and chilly in the brine.
(4) Carrots fermented by the kraut method. Added some ginger and grated apple to the carrots.
(5) Sichuan fermented vegetables. The brine contains besides the obligatory salt some ginger, star anis, mustard seeds, sechuan pepper corns and a dash of vodka. As vegetables I used some nappa cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and beans.
IMG_20220918_094924.jpg
(6) Lacto fermented garlic. After fermentation the taste get's some additional fruity notes. Besides of enjoying the taste I like that I'll have some garlic at hand that I don't have to peel, when I need it.

Made smoked and dried "Nußschinken". It comes from the upper front part of the hind leg, number 16 in this diagram:
View attachment 199072
Meat prepared for curing for two weeks in vacuum:
View attachment 199073
After curing:
View attachment 199074
Trussed and hung up to dry and equilibrate for a few days:
View attachment 199075
Then four cold smoking sessions spread over four days, eight hours of smoke each time. After that, dry the ham some more (about a week), re-seal in vacuum and ripen in the fridge for a month. Finally, hung up for a few days more to dry:
View attachment 199076
And the finished product. It's tasty. Very tasty :)
View attachment 199077
You're the man... I love Schwarze Nuss😋

Last edited:
I am playing with the fermentation of foods lately.

View attachment 199111
Lacto fermented kohlrabi by the kraut method. Very delicious. The nice thing about kohlrabi is that the taste resembles the one of sauerkraut but you don't have to buy and use a whole head of cabbage.

View attachment 199112
Peachshrub.

View attachment 199113

Left to right some new ferments that I started today; except for the fermented garlic I havn't tried the ferments before:

View attachment 199114
(1) In honey fermented blue berries
(2) Lacto fermented beans with garlic, bay leaf, mustard seeds and chilly. Looking backwards I should've added some thinly sliced red onion. Don't want to remove the beans from the container now anymore. So I'll do that the next time.
View attachment 199115
(3) Lacto fermented radishes. With a hint of sugar and chilly in the brine.
(4) Carrots fermented by the kraut method. Added some ginger and grated apple to the carrots.
(5) Sichuan fermented vegetables. The brine contains besides the obligatory salt some ginger, star anis, mustard seeds, sechuan pepper corns and a dash of vodka. As vegetables I used some nappa cabbage, cauliflower, carrots and beans.
View attachment 199116
(6) Lacto fermented garlic. After fermentation the taste get's some additional fruity notes. Besides of enjoying the taste I like that I'll have some garlic at hand that I don't have to peel, when I need it.
Wow... Fermentation is an art of its own... I know that e.g. in nordic cuisine it is very widespread and has become quite sophisticated in certain kitchens of well known restaurants.
Very interesting to see that. Did you hava some guidance like a book or video, or do you have some background knowledge about it?

@camochili

I enjoy lacto fermented vegetables as small condinements for main meals. If i want to add some sourness to balance a meal then some fermented ( or vinegar brined) vegetables come very handy.

If you stick to lacto fermentation the stuff is actually very simple. Just take some vegetables, salt and water and throw everything together. :D

As a general starting point I like the book 'Magic Fermentation' from Marcel Kruse and Geru Pulsinger.
It gives a very broad overview over available fermented foods and how they are prepared.
Additionally the book gives a number of very interesting appetising sample recipes.
The recipe of the honey fermented blueberries is from this book.

Additonally I bought 'Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes' by Kirsten K. Shockey.
The Kohlrabi-Kraut was from this book. The fermented radished, beans and carrots that I've shown are also from her book.

If you like some online articles:

If you are interested in lacto fermentation:

I once had a very good article about lacto fermentation, but I don't find it anymore.
Please let me recap the most important information of it:

Basically lacto fermentation buils down that you need an anerobic, watery enviroment with a salt content between 1 and 9 per cent for the lacto bacterias to do their job. This job consists of creating the lactic acid that gives the food it's typical taste as well of keeping other bacterias and funguses away.
For the fermentation to work the vegetables/fruit must be submerged so they have no contact with oxygen.

Many considere a salt concentration between 1 and 3 percent in the fermentation liquid as ideal. Although chinese lacto fermented vegetables seem to aim for a salt concentration between 6 and 8 per cent.

There are three methods of lacto fermentation that I am aware of:
(1) With hard vegetables that absorb only a little to no water you simply sink the vegetables in a brine with the desired salt concentration.
(2) Finely grind some vegetables and mash them. Add some salt to the released liquid. The released juices build the base for the brine that again should have an appropriate salt content. Somewhere else I've read that a salt content of 0.25 per cent of vegetable weight as a good rule of thumb. Personally I go by taste.
(3) Soft condinements that disintegrate to a sauce. In this case you add no liquids. The whole sauce acts like the brine. The overall volume of the sauce should be used as a base to calculate the required amount of salt.

An example for (1) would be this one:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/lacto-fermented-carrot-recipe-1327619Please note that although most recipes for sauerkraut call for method (2) this method can also be applied to make sauerkraut. I the cut the cabbage in shreds with a thickness of about 5mm and use a brine with avout 2 per cent salt content. I massage the cabbage a little. After 3 to five days the cabbage was sour enough for my taste. White cabbage works very well with lacto fermentation. Because of this, this brined fermented cabbage was the first ferment that I tried.

An example for (2) would be this:
https://atmykitchentable.org/recipes/pickles-recipes/pickling-naturally-kohlrabi-kraut/
An example for (3) would be

The one time it worked it tasted amazing.
Sadly the last two time it failed. If you want to try for yourself you may use some brine from a previous fermentation to give it a head start and don't omit the garlic.
Next time I am also planning to prevent contact with air by using a water filled ziploc.

If you are interested in the topic of shrub making:
https://myculturedlife.com/recipes/how-to-make-shrubs/As
https://www.budorganic.com.au/christmas-shrubs-sweet-fermented-drinking-vinegars/explains first you grow some yeasts that produce alcohol.
You then add vinegar and vinegar producing bactoeria that take the alcohol produced by the yeast and turn it to vinegar.

If you are interested in chinese fermented vegetables:

https://msshiandmrhe.com/chinese-pickles/
What I find very intriguing about this topic that people

says that they kept their brine for a very long time and that as the brine grows older it starts to give a better taste and ferments the vegetables faster.
Sadly there are only a few sources on this topic.
So I guess when I am talking the next time with some frineds from china I'll have to ask them to ask their parents how this is done correctly.

Last edited:
On the left some nappa cabbage stir fried with garlic, fish sauce and sesame oil.

To the right stir fried minced pork with garlic, fermented black beans,, black pepper, a dash of soy sauce, some cooking wine and lacto fermented kohlrabi kraut.

We ate the dishes with some cooked short grain rice and rye.

The inspiration for this comes from this video:

We didn't have completely fermented beans at and therefore adapted the recipe at the end of the video to the stuff we hab at home.
It was very delicious. I believe you could also use vinegar brined beans instead of fermented ones.
Don't ommit the fermented black beans. They improve the dish significantly.

IMG_20220918_143148.jpg

@camochili

I enjoy lacto fermented vegetables as small condinements for main meals. If i want to add some sourness to balance a meal then some fermented ( or vinegar brined) vegetables come very handy.

If you stick to lacto fermentation the stuff is actually very simple. Just take some vegetables, salt and water and throw everything together. :D

As a general starting point I like the book 'Magic Fermentation' from Marcel Kruse and Geru Pulsinger.
It gives a very broad overview over available fermented foods and how they are prepared.
Additionally the book gives a number of very interesting appetising sample recipes.
The recipe of the honey fermented blueberries is from this book.

Additonally I bought 'Fermented Vegetables: Creative Recipes for Fermenting 64 Vegetables & Herbs in Krauts, Kimchis, Brined Pickles, Chutneys, Relishes & Pastes' by Kirsten K. Shockey.
The Kohlrabi-Kraut was from this book. The fermented radished, beans and carrots that I've shown are also from her book.

If you like some online articles:

If you are interested in lacto fermentation:

I once had a very good article about lacto fermentation, but I don't find it anymore.
Please let me recap the most important information of it:

Basically lacto fermentation buils down that you need an anerobic, watery enviroment with a salt content between 1 and 9 per cent for the lacto bacterias to do their job. This job consists of creating the lactic acid that gives the food it's typical taste as well of keeping other bacterias and funguses away.
For the fermentation to work the vegetables/fruit must be submerged so they have no contact with oxygen.

Many considere a salt concentration between 1 and 3 percent in the fermentation liquid as ideal. Although chinese lacto fermented vegetables seem to aim for a salt concentration between 6 and 8 per cent.

There are three methods of lacto fermentation that I am aware of:
(1) With hard vegetables that absorb only a little to no water you simply sink the vegetables in a brine with the desired salt concentration.
(2) Finely grind some vegetables and mash them. Add some salt to the released liquid. The released juices build the base for the brine that again should have an appropriate salt content. Somewhere else I've read that a salt content of 0.25 per cent of vegetable weight as a good rule of thumb. Personally I go by taste.
(3) Soft condinements that disintegrate to a sauce. In this case you add no liquids. The whole sauce acts like the brine. The overall volume of the sauce should be used as a base to calculate the required amount of salt.

An example for (1) would be this one:
https://www.thespruceeats.com/lacto-fermented-carrot-recipe-1327619Please note that although most recipes for sauerkraut call for method (2) this method can also be applied to make sauerkraut. I the cut the cabbage in shreds with a thickness of about 5mm and use a brine with avout 2 per cent salt content. I massage the cabbage a little. After 3 to five days the cabbage was sour enough for my taste. White cabbage works very well with lacto fermentation. Because of this, this brined fermented cabbage was the first ferment that I tried.

An example for (2) would be this:
https://atmykitchentable.org/recipes/pickles-recipes/pickling-naturally-kohlrabi-kraut/
An example for (3) would be

The one time it worked it tasted amazing.
Sadly the last two time it failed. If you want to try for yourself you may use some brine from a previous fermentation to give it a head start and don't omit the garlic.
Next time I am also planning to prevent contact with air by using a water filled ziploc.

If you are interested in the topic of shrub making:
https://myculturedlife.com/recipes/how-to-make-shrubs/As
https://www.budorganic.com.au/christmas-shrubs-sweet-fermented-drinking-vinegars/explains first you grow some yeasts that produce alcohol.
You then add vinegar and vinegar producing bactoeria that take the alcohol produced by the yeast and turn it to vinegar.

If you are interested in chinese fermented vegetables:

https://msshiandmrhe.com/chinese-pickles/
What I find very intriguing about this topic that people

says that they kept their brine for a very long time and that as the brine grows older it starts to give a better taste and ferments the vegetables faster.
Sadly there are only a few sources on this topic.
So I guess when I am talking the next time with some frineds from china I'll have to ask them to ask their parents how this is done correctly.

Wonderful synopsis! Playing around with fermentation and lacto pickles is really fun and fairly simple. One you have down the basics it's easy to add your own twist and preferred flavor profiles. I personally like a 3-5 percent brine for harder vegtables and peppers for hot sauce.

Last edited:
one of my favorite vacations was to visit Peru. Peru is the fusion food capital of the world. influences from all over the globe.

here is one meal. super weird, but damn if it isn't delicious. I recently found the Peru Chili stuff and whipped this up. such a delicious oddity.

AJi Gallina.

AjiG.jpg

That looks really interesting! Which recipe did you use?
https://www.thespruceeats.com/spicy-creamed-chicken-aji-de-gallina-3029517
this one. But I didn’t use evaporated milk. I used way less heavy cream and more chicken stock. My nuts were pecans. And I didn’t have olives. Oh yea. I could only find jarred aji chili paste.

and seriously. The recipe would be easier if I had just blipped everything in the blender instead of mixing it a pan as instruction stated.

I was all over the place. But when I tasted the sauce, I knew I nailed it.

Back