Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yum!

Wife was just talking about getting rings so we can make our own.
Rings help if youre worried about consistency/perfection but I usually just cut them out and let em rise naturally. Never have too much variation occuring!

Somehow found myself making 45lbs of sushi rice for employee dining tomorrow….
B194CB17-0BD1-4289-AE89-18E038F54176.jpeg

Balsamic and Brussel sprouts were meant for each other. :)

Great stuff. Way to stay open minded!

Yes!
I don't have a pic of my own, but I've copied Motorino's pizza with Brussel sprout leaves, pancetta and mozzarella, and then drizzled some balsamic glaze on it after baking, amazing combination with the charred sprout leaves!
Only works out well with very short bake at very high temp though.

To give an impression of what I'm talking about:
brusselsproutspizza.jpg

Ugh... I know better than to try to fancy plating. I suck at it and am far better served just dishing it up. But, what can I say? Once in a while I feel like taking another shot.

Yet, despite the risk of the admittedly deserved plating mockery, I still wanted to post this as the flavors were actually really nice.

I had two things that needed to be used up: Granny Smith apple and a sweet potato.

Now, the wife isn't a huge sweet potato fan so just baking it up and serving wasn't going to work. I mean I did bake it, and I do have some saved for myself but I tried something different too.

I made a puree out of both the apple and the potato. The apple puree was ginger, cinnamon, honey, and black pepper while the sweet potato puree was cream and nutmeg. Both turned out great and went really well with the ham and heirloom carrots.

Beets, arugula, charred onions, and garlic toast helped balance the sweetness. All topped with salt, good olive oil and Balsamic.

Anyway, it was a fine salad indeed.

TlCXRuSl.jpg

Also, Wat Pro nakiri.

Also, also, you're damn right there was some iceberg under that spinach. ;)

That looks great and if you wouldn't mind, I would love to know how you made it..!
Sure!

I cooked the beans per the Rancho Gordo recipe. Those big royal coronas suck up a lot of water, so add extra water in the pot and make sure they're well submerged the whole time for even cooking.

Then I added chopped olives, lightly smashed garlic cloves and smoked paprika to a couple cups of olive oil, put the drained beans in a pyrex and poured the olive oil mixture over the top. Baked that at 400 for about 40 minutes, until the exposed beans on top got a little crispy. Finished with chives, minced shallots and lemon juice.

I've been eating the beans on toast or on top of salad. The extra paprika-garlic oil is great for dressings, and you could add all kinds of other aromatics to the mix. The bean broth went into a soup. Not much opportunity to play with knives in this recipe, but otherwise it's simple, hearty and really good!

Sure!

I cooked the beans per the Rancho Gordo recipe. Those big royal coronas suck up a lot of water, so add extra water in the pot and make sure they're well submerged the whole time for even cooking.

Then I added chopped olives, lightly smashed garlic cloves and smoked paprika to a couple cups of olive oil, put the drained beans in a pyrex and poured the olive oil mixture over the top. Baked that at 400 for about 40 minutes, until the exposed beans on top got a little crispy. Finished with chives, minced shallots and lemon juice.

I've been eating the beans on toast or on top of salad. The extra paprika-garlic oil is great for dressings, and you could add all kinds of other aromatics to the mix. The bean broth went into a soup. Not much opportunity to play with knives in this recipe, but otherwise it's simple, hearty and really good!
Thank you!

Ribeye steak of a pound and then some (575 grams). About 4 cm thick tied up.

Started with cold sear, first 3+3 minutes on high heat, then 1 minute per side on medium for six minutes, finished up with basting for a couple minutes more (rosemary, shallots & garlic). Let it rest for five, then cut it, and added some salt on top. Really tender and tasty, on the rare end of medium rare goodness.

Need to drop the initial high heat to just two minutes per side and take it up on medium heat to get more even cooking and gradient with a minimum of that brownish grey border. Anyhoo… there you go.

09C1AA9C-CF39-4829-B910-C52C35F308A7.jpeg

Ribeye steak of a pound and then some (575 grams). About 4 cm thick tied up.

Started with cold sear, first 3+3 minutes on high heat, then 1 minute per side on medium for six minutes, finished up with basting for a couple minutes more (rosemary, shallots & garlic). Let it rest for five, then cut it, and added some salt on top. Really tender and tasty, on the rare end of medium rare goodness.

Need to drop the initial high heat to just two minutes per side and take it up on medium heat to get more even cooking and gradient with a minimum of that brownish grey border. Anyhoo… there you go.

View attachment 208708

Nice. On thicker steaks, I've taken to doing the entire process on more of a lower-medium heat and taking longer. Flipping often and slowly (relative to high heat) building up a crust. Just an option to ponder. :)

flipping can help keep heat in the outer layer. Using a ludicrously hot pan too ;-)
The best tip so far for me was to salt and then stick the meat in the fridge on a griddle or a few chopsticks so it can dry out a bit over a day or two, then take it out and let it accomodate and scorch the heck out of it !

flipping can help keep heat in the outer layer. Using a ludicrously hot pan too ;-)
The best tip so far for me was to salt and then stick the meat in the fridge on a griddle or a few chopsticks so it can dry out a bit over a day or two, then take it out and let it accomodate and scorch the heck out of it !
Yes dry brining helps a lot in drying out the outside, enabling much faster crustification.
Personally I gravitate towards searing the outer crust on high heat, optinally followed with some butter basting, and then finishing in a low & slow oven to actually reach the desired internal temp.
But you could also go the other way around and reverse sear....or do short pre-sear & a post-sear...there's a lot of different roads to rome here.

That looks fantastic. I use the NYT recipe (almost double the onions though) but the secret of GREAT FOS was revealed to me by @btbyrd some time ago and it makes a world of difference. Minor's Beef Base (I get the low sodium from Amazon) is what 90% of restaurants use, and with good reason. I started making gravy with it and it's amazing for that too.

Apologies (and congratulations!) if you already know about this stuff, but if not give it a try.

That looks fantastic. I use the NYT recipe (almost double the onions though) but the secret of GREAT FOS was revealed to me by @btbyrd some time ago and it makes a world of difference. Minor's Beef Base (I get the low sodium from Amazon) is what 90% of restaurants use, and with good reason. I started making gravy with it and it's amazing for that too.

Apologies (and congratulations!) if you already know about this stuff, but if not give it a try.

I've historically *hated* FOS. but the wife likes it. This year, for her birthday, I made the Matty Matheson recipe, which I ended up liking quite a bit. The variety of onions generates more of a profile I like, as well as the inclusion of the maderia, port, and sherry. The emmenthal as cheese topping is also excellent.

I'll need to look for the beef base here in Canada.

I've historically *hated* FOS. but the wife likes it. This year, for her birthday, I made the Matty Matheson recipe, which I ended up liking quite a bit. The variety of onions generates more of a profile I like, as well as the inclusion of the maderia, port, and sherry. The emmenthal as cheese topping is also excellent.

I'll need to look for the beef base here in Canada.
That Matty Matheson recipe looks great! He has a song called "French Onion Soup" too??!! 😂

Definitely trying that next time. Agree on the sherry/port/congnac/booze of some kind being non-negotiable.

Walnuts with pasta is a really underappreciated gem. I love to add crushed walnuts to lasagna, they add wonderful texture and nutty taste to it.
I agree with that. The nutty taste is really good for pasta dishes. It's also nice to fry arugula, which also gets a nice nutty taste from frying. I like that very much when I make pasta puttanesca.

Back